Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NWAnews.com: NFL NUGGETS : Jones the ‘player to watch’ in upcoming NFL draft

NFL NUGGETS : Jones the ‘player to watch’ in upcoming NFL draft

Joe West sports@nwarktimes.com

Posted on Friday, April 8, 2005

URL: http://www.nwanews.com/story/nwat/26914

Former Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones is quickly becoming the 2005 NFL Draft’s "player to watch," and ESPN wants to be there when his name is called. "The Total Sports Network" is going to broadcast live from Jones’ living room on the day of the draft, Jones’ agent, Dave Butz, said via telephone interview Thursday.

A crew from NFL Films will be there as well, filming Jones the day before and the day of the draft for a documentary. The NFL Films documentary will also feature top quarterback prospect Alex Smith of Utah.

Butz, son of the former Washington Redskins defensive lineman of the same name, said the easy-going Jones has been handling all hoopla with his typi cal style. "Being in a state where there’s no pro sports, status-wise he’s already been treated somewhat like a star," Butz said. "If anything, he’s more prepared to handle the pressure.

" His laid-back attitude — which is his demeanor off the field, not on — is nothing but an asset. He’s handling all this [attention] in stride, like it’s nothing. "

Jones’ ability to handle pressure on the field is something that drew Butz’s attention in the first place.

" You can quote my father on this — a man who chased quarterbacks in the NFL for 16 years — after watching Matt Jones for one half of football he said, ‘You’ve got to get this kid, ’" the younger Butz said. "My dad said his presence and the way he eludes rushers reminded him of John Elway in his prime."

So Butz came after Jones, who wasn’t so highly-regarded in NFL circles then. "I called him in July of last year and the scouting reports at that time had Matt rated as a seventh-round draft pick," Butz said. "We knew without a doubt that they were way off base with that."

Way, way off base. Jones didn’t run a 40-yard dash for the scouts last spring, so they estimated his 40 time from a review of game tape.

The scout who reviewed the tape came up with the number 4.65. Again, way, way off. "You can’t totally blame the guy because Matt has that long stride and he doesn’t take too many steps so it doesn’t look like he’s moving too fast," Butz said. Four-straight sub-4.4 times at the NFL Combine proved that Jones does indeed move fast.

• • • Butz isn’t the only one singing Jones’ praises. Bella Vista’s own Chris Mortensen, an ESPN NFL Insider, made a bold statement in a column posted March 30 on ESPN. com. "I believe [Jones] is the best player in the draft," Mortensen wrote.

Maybe it’s something in the Bella Vista water, but I’m starting to agree with him.

Would I draft Jones ahead of say, Michigan’s Braylon Edwards or USC’s Mike Williams? No, because those guys have proven themselves as top-flight wide receivers in college.

But I will say that Jones has the most upside of any player in the draft. "As far as anyone knows, there’s never been a 6-6 guy or a 242-pounder who ran 4.37 in the 40," Mortensen wrote. "Jones is both 6-6 and 242 pounds."

That, in itself, speaks volumes.

And if Mort says so, it’s good enough for me.

Joe West is the assistant sports editor of the Northwest Arkansas Times.

If we didnt have bigger holes at DE and WR, id be more inclined to take a runner at an athlete like Jones.

What deters me from wanting to draft him is his not wanting to play TE, when thats the most logical position for him in the NFL.

Originally posted by Oldskool

If we didnt have bigger holes at DE and WR, id be more inclined to take a runner at an athlete like Jones.

What deters me from wanting to draft him is his not wanting to play TE, when thats the most logical position for him in the NFL.

Why in the world would you take an absolutely amazing athlete, and put him in the most foreign position in the world to him, just to allow him to "sit and learn" for two or so years. Why even draft him if you gotta wait two years for someone who is supposedly the best athlete in the draft. The most logical position is WR and that's where he want's to play PERIOD. Anyways yeh yeh it's destiny!

Archived