Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just when you thought it was safe to surf next to Elephant seals again....

I think the worst way to die would be to be eaten by a fish, out of all the ways, I think that would be the worst. Especially if you were swollowed whole. Fish are the freakiest animals that exist.

From the article... "When the shark nears the surface, its dorsal fin and part of its tail are visible above the water."

Talk about underestimating the intelligence of your readers.....sheesh! :rolleyes: Oh, wait, I forgot, given that the victim was a surfer they probably did it expecting that they would have a lot of surfers reading the paper that day :laugh:

The media way overblows these shark attacks. I live in Virginia Beach and i dont know anyone who decides not to go to the beach because of sharks. But everyone around here knows: dont swim near a pear, dont swim in the morning or evening, and dont swim alone

I know that shark attacks are rare. Very rare. Extremely rare. However, we've always heard that the odds of being attacked by a shark are less than being struck by lightning or dying from a bee sting. I don't believe that. Here's why:

Anyone can be struck by lightning or stung by a bee. There are lightning strikes and bees all over the country. Shark attacks only happen at the coast. So, if you take the people ELIGIBLE to be attacked by a shark ... those at the coast who are actually in the water ... you would have a very small portion of the population. Take the number of attacks in consideration with this smaller portion of the population and look at the odds.

They just got a lot bigger, didn't they?

When I was stationed at Damneck, Va Beach Va they had a fishing contest and the winner was a 950lb Tiger shark pulled from the far pier.

These fools were chumming the waters.

Heck I had hellacious battles with catfish and turtles so I'd freak if I had to go against a fish my size with rows of teeth

Stinson beach and Lake Vera*** were happening places when I was stationed in Vallejo and Alameda back in the day.

I still remember so called experts saying Great Whites couldnt be in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific then we video taped in the I/O a "baby great white shark" 6 ft swallowing Navy Shark repellant then going after the life raft from the Greek Oiler the people we already transferred to my ship by then.

I live close to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. A few days ago, a shore fisherman was close to where my girlfriend and me were laying out. Watched the pull in a three foot long baby shark.

I was born and grew up in Virginia Beach and have been going to the beach now for nearly 34 years. I spend more time in the water than your average person and the worst thing that ever got me was a huge blood-red yellyfish.

Brave, please tell me you are kidding.

Brave, you just corrupted the stat because to my understanding the statistics are across the entire population, whether land-locked or not. So actually, it tells you how rare it is to get bitten when only some of the population spends time near where sharks live.

Tell you what, I've lived here for a little over eight years now and have come to learn that you don't hear about half the shark incidents that happen in FL. I know many people who wade waste deep in the dark of night and fish about twenty yards off shore. I also did it when I first got here, but stopped due to two incidents. You can get frozen chum just about anywhere here, and we use it often. If you don't let it thaw enough prior to use, it needs a shake from time to time while in the water. Were out about half mile or so, and I'm lit. Hadn't gotten any bites in a while, so I figured it was time to shake up the chum bag. I'm shakin the shlitz out of it, Dan and Dave are watching the fish finder. Dan starts yelling "get your hands out of the water man there's a big fish commin at the bag". I figured he was just goofin with me, and if I hadn't turned to take the bone from Dave my hands would have been in the water when about a six foot shark hit the bag. Don't know what type of shark it was, and frankly, I was freakin to much to care. In a matter of seconds, the chum bag was gone.

Another time out in the area the article speaks of, we were on our way there for a night of fishing and had stopped to wait for another boat to catch up with us. The sun was still up, and it was hot as a bit(h, so Dave and I jump over to cool off. As I'm climbing back on the boat, I look down and see a spotted ray about four foot across pass under us. I never get out of the boat in that area any longer, or fish in the water in the dark, too many big critters. The water was about 30 ft deep, and you could see clear to the bottom. There had been a phosphate loading dock there for deckades. The content in the water is so high, it keeps the water crystal clear most of the time. If you wan't to fish Tarpon, this is the place to go. During the turni's, two out of three Tarpon are lost to the sharks. Even so, it's still one of the best areas to sport fish in the country.

"Brave, you just corrupted the stat because to my understanding the statistics are across the entire population, whether land-locked or not." - redman

That was my point, wasn't it?

To me the stats aren't equal for that very reason. Bee stings and lighting strikes can happen in land-locked areas but shark attacks can't. So yes, shark attacks are impossible for those that don't go to the coast, yet those people are still counted in the stats. Wouldn't a more accurate stat be what are the odds for those who could possibly be attacked (at the coast, in the water)?

Brave,

I have to disagree again. The only way for the stats to be comparable is to make them extend nationally. For example, some people in cold weather climates don't have bees except for a couple of months per year. Certain areas don't have the poisonous snakes that other areas have. And of course some people visit the beach more often than others. If you try to break this stuff down further, then the accuracy of the data becomes much more debatable. People can figure out for themselves how much the stats apply to their lifestyle or environment.

Archived