Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why would samuels redo deal-he shouldnt

bsmsss

I don't agree, Arsenic. I think LT is one spot where teams are often willing to overpay for. Among the 32 teams there are some suckers out there I can think of that would throw money at any available LTs. One that is 27 years old?

Hey, if Roman Oben could garner a big contract a couple of years ago, why not Chris Samuels?

Of course, for Samuels to get that money he may have to go to Cleveland or Miami or an equally uninspiring spot at the moment, teams even farther down the scale than the Redskins from 2004.

But, ultimately, it is HIS choice. And then it is the Redskins choice to respond.

Originally posted by bsmsss

he is in the last yr of his deal--his deal gives him a salary of 9 mil

the only way he doesnt get the 9 mil is if he gets cut by sept--thus the last yr of a deal is like a signing bonus--if he does gets cut he will just sign with another team and get his big contract anyway

thus what does he have to gain by redoing

say he redoes his deal and he gets a 14 mil bonus--he really is only getting 5 mil more since his final yr on his deal is giving him 9 mil anyway

thus he would be smart to play the final yr--get his 9 mil and then next yr get another 14 in a signing bonus on a new deal

thats 23 mil vs 15 mil in gaurenteed money

this is why samuels will say no

skins should have redone his deal last summer not now

skins have no leverage

Uh huh.

Two words for you and Samuels: Julian Petersen. And apart from that, what if Samuels tanks in '05? Good luck with the big money contract that you could've gotten.

The 'Skins are hardly without any leverage over Samuels.

:doh:

Originally posted by bulldog

I don't agree, Arsenic. I think LT is one spot where teams are often willing to overpay for. Among the 32 teams there are some suckers out there I can think of that would throw money at any available LTs. One that is 27 years old?

Hey, if Roman Oben could garner a big contract a couple of years ago, why not Chris Samuels?

Of course, for Samuels to get that money he may have to go to Cleveland or Miami or an equally uninspiring spot at the moment, teams even farther down the scale than the Redskins from 2004.

But, ultimately, it is HIS choice. And then it is the Redskins choice to respond.

I think he would get the best package deal in Washington; He gets longevity. They will more than likley give him top 10 OT type money; he gets to play in the same system around most of the same players.

True the browns or the dolphins could use a guy like samuals; they could over spend to get him. But why would he want to give up the oppourtunity to work with one of the best Offensive Line coaches in the history of the NFL?

If Chris wont redo his deal he will be traded. I dont see the skins letting him and Smoot go for nothing. How about Chris and Rod for the Texans first and maybe a mid round pick. I really think we could get buy with Molinaro and a June 1st cut for depth. I like Samuels as much as the next guy but he is not a premier tackle. He has had too many injuries and inconsistant play to garner a huge payday. Who was our left tackle the last time we made the playoffs? I forget his name but he was a stop gap player who we picked up from Chicago I believe. My point is we dont need a premier player at every position to win. Look at the four teams in the conference championship game this past season. Tra Thomas was the best left tackle amoung them. Pittsburgh probably had the best line but I dont even know who their left tackle is. If Chris stays fine but if he leaves I dont think it will be a huge loss. Samuels was known for having good footwork. If he is still having ankle problems he wont be as effective as he could be. :2cents:

Originally posted by sealskin

Who was our left tackle the last time we made the playoffs? I forget his name but he was a stop gap player who we picked up from Chicago I believe. My point is we dont need a premier player at every position to win.

Andy Heck? Your point is indeed taken.

Archived