Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP: Redskins Get Credit For Scalping Fans

denverdan

http://www.nypost.com/sports/21718.htm

REDSKINS GET CREDIT FOR SCALPING FANS

Phil Mushnick

February 4, 2005 -- IF Paul Tagliabue served as a genuine commissioner instead of the NFL owners' CFO, he might've put in a call to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, Monday, and it might've gone something like this:

"Morning, Dan. Say, someone just told me that they read in yesterday's Washington Post that you're forcing all your ticket subscribers who pay by credit card to use the Redskins' card through MBNA Bank. That can't be true, can it? . . .

"It is? Well, Dan, that troubles me. You've got some of the most loyal, longtime patrons in all of sports. Why do this to them? I'm aware that MBNA is a an NFL sponsor, but let them use the credit card of their choosing. . . .

"They can still pay by check and in cash? Well, thank goodness for that. But Dan, if I allow you to get away with this, other team owners will do the same, and, frankly, it doesn't pass the smell test.

"We already charge 'em a fortune for tickets and eats and drinks and parking. We force 'em to pay for exhibition games; we schedule games at ridiculous hours to keep our TV profits fat. We've already turned them into suckers. And, I know, they'll buy anything we force 'em to buy. But this one looks like we sit around dreaming up new ways to kick 'em. . . .

"Ya' say there's not that much profit in it? I don't care if there's 10 cents profit in it, Dan. You and the bank can start hitting them with come-ons from mortgages to team jerseys. There's plenty of potential profit in it, Dan. You know that.

"Let your best customers choose who they want to extend them credit, who they want to have access to their credit history. We're a football league, Dan, not a front for a bank. . . .

"What's that? . . . The media hasn't made a big deal of it? Well, that's nothing new. Besides, this week they're stuck on Terrell Owens.

"Still, ya' never know. Last year, the Jets applied a $50 annual charge to remain on their tickets waiting list, the New York media raised a stink and the Attorney General stepped in. That was embarrassing; made me look like I'm always flashing you guys the steal sign. And, Dan, don't forget the furor down there when you charged fans to attend summer practice sessions. . . .

"What? . . . No, I'm not just picking on you. Next, I'm calling the Patriots and the Eagles. They sold Super Bowl tickets to their official travel agents who are turning around and selling them with same-day airline tickets for about $3,500 apiece. The game tickets are only $500 and $600 apiece. I say 'only,' but that's embarrassing enough.

"In '81, last time the Eagles were in it, we charged 40 bucks. Hell, Dan, the Pats now charge $35 just to park. When is enough enough? . . . What? . . . The tickets will be scalped anyway? That may be true, but none of our teams and associates should be in the ticket scalping business. How do we sic the cops on scalpers when we're worse?

"Heck, I'm still trying to find out how and why the Packers put thousands of their allotted Super Bowl tickets in the hands of a Texas travel agency, eight years ago.

"So what I want you to do today is get out another mailing to tell your customers — our customers — that you've rescinded this order to use only the team's credit card. . . .

"Say what? . . . Who's gonna pay for the postage? You are."

Dream sequence, from the movie, "Fat Chance."

It just goes to show you, you can't be pioneering or innovative without bearing the brunt of someone's ire. Snyder is such an easy target, why not write a dated fluff piece when you're out of original material. Talk about bandwagoning, sheesh!

Does anyone recall the fury that surrounded the funding of the Carolina Panthers stadium in Charlotte ten years ago? They were selling PSL's and you would have thought the end of the world was coming. Cut to 2005 and EVERY major new stadium project that has occured in the past decade has featured some PSL program from it's fans.

It's the media's job to create news, however irresponsible. But rehashing week-old news in today's real time climate is just plain lazy.

Archived