Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Motherboard/Power problem

TheSteve

I just bought an Intel SE440BX Motherboard with an Intel Pentium II 400MHZ CPU, they came out of a dell tower(supposedly). Anyway, my problem is when I connect the Power Supply Unit to the motherboard and the power switch to the motherboard and try to turn on the power and power up the motherboard does nothing. It's not the Power Supply because it works with other motherboards. It's not the Computer Case's switch because that works on other boards. It's not the RAM in the MB because that works elsewhere. It's not the CPU, because that works elsewhere too. I have three MB's like this that are identical and said to be working when I got them off Ebay. Are they all shorted out or something, or am I missing something simple here?

Thanks,

Steve

There's one other thing that you have yet to try. You need to hook up a different power supply to those motherboards. One that you already know works. If a different power supply works with them then it must be some weird compatability issue. If it wtill doesnt work then those MBs are probably fragged.

Dell has been using specially modified ATX motherboards with non-standard pinout of the motherboard power connectors. If you don't use a proprietary Dell power supply your computer will not work and damage may occur to the motherboard and/or the standard power supply.

Originally posted by tex

Dell has been using specially modified ATX motherboards with non-standard pinout of the motherboard power connectors. If you don't use a proprietary Dell power supply your computer will not work and damage may occur to the motherboard and/or the standard power supply.

So I have to now go and purchase a dell power supply?:doh:

$30 on 3 motherboards/cpu's that I can't even use?

Dell can go to hell.:)

Do you have a link I can lookup more info about this?

Thanks!

Archived