Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to stop Spam?

afparent

Originally posted by afparent

ok, maybe I am a novice in this area, but I am tired of getting 20-25 emails that are Spam. i am tired of spending 30 minutes a day unsubscribing from these emails. Yet they continue to come. What is the solution?

They continue to come because you keep confirming that you are a legitimate receiver of their emails. They have no intention of removing you from their database. Never, ever reply to SPAM. Then they won't know if it's a legitimate email.

Of course there is software to help stop it, too, but I'm afraid to use it in case something important get labeled as SPAM.

well, it would seem to me that NO one likes spam, in fact, everyone distinctly HATES it... it's been made illegal, yet the people who do it continue to do so.

So execute one of them.

One of the goofballs that has been arrested for spamming, toss his ass in the execution chamber and throw the switch.

I bet it stops then.

~Bang

Originally posted by afparent

yes, it does seem that way....isn't that illegal?

Probably, but they don't care. It always an insult to me that a company thinks that I will actually buy their product when they do their best to get around my SPAM filters.

You've seen what I mean. They misspell words or they'll insert numeric digits where letters should be, etc. They are trying to FORCE me to look at their product and it is very irritating.

For example, here are some SPAMS that I have in my inbox right now:

Subject line: Superst0ck Invest0r (note the 0 (zero) instead of "o." That's because I might have a filter that labels anything that says "stock" SPAM. So they put the zero to bypass the filter.)

Subject line: Spec1a| Offer f0r s0ftware (note the same funky digits again)

Subject line: T0taLly |egaL MIcrOsoft f0r a fract|0n of the pr|ce

I have a hard time believing that people will actually by from a company that blatantly is forcing its way into your personal space. But I guess they do or they wouldn't spend millions of dollars SPAMMING.

Originally posted by skinsfan51

Never, ever reply to SPAM. Then they won't know if it's a legitimate email.

NEVER EVER reply to spam. Many ISPs (like Comcast) will allow filtering. I suggest that you filter to a folder that you can check to make sure no real emails are included before you trash all the spam.

For more info:

http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/antispam.html

http://spam.abuse.net/

Archived