Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Studio sound-proofing question...

freakofthesouth

Hey folks,

I am attempting to soundproof my home studio...

I want to create a ‘tent’ in the studio, draping a large piece of fabric across two Dow rods set across the room. I would actually layers this two times (2 tents), leaving roughly 1 foot of space in between each layer.

My question is this: does anyone know what is the best, most cost-effective fabric to use for this application? I know velour might be good; or maybe even a fleece…? Also, since I am planning on two layers, should I have the inner fabric be more porous (like a burlap), and the outer fabric more absorbent?

Any help out there?

Thanks.

Carpet.

If you can find some wall to wall carpet, that would work awesome.

My drummers studio is 100% soundproofed. You cannot hear a damn thing unless you put your head to the door or to the ground upstairs.

It's a pain and it traps heat, so you have to watch out.

As for the ceiling, and by his kit, he has the typical egg-crating tacked up there. You can get it through any online musicians joint.

As for the carpet, he lucked out because he is in real-estate and a few of the homes he was re-furbishing had a sh*t-ton of extra carpet that he could use....

Originally posted by BG

Carpet.

If you can find some wall to wall carpet, that would work awesome.

Right on; I think the weight of the carpet alone qualifies it...and it was free for him? That's the way to do it...

The only problem w/ carpet is it can get mildew-y...at least I read that.

From what I've been reading, what really traps the sound is the spacing you create w/ the fabric/carpet; if you are hanging something, the difference between 1 ft of space and 1 1/2 ft of space can be astonishing.

I have been reading a lot about constructing baffles, which are basically filled w/ foam or whatever you can find, and have a burlap-type fabric enclosing it. This allows the sound to enter, but never to return. Kinda like a black hole or some sh*t. :laugh:

Anyways, I am thinking that if I can drop two layers of a tent, the first layer will let sound through (burlap), only to be trapped by the second layer, and the sound would never reverberate in any way.

This is all going down i the next few weeks, so I'll let you guys know how it turns out...Code in particular.

Any other absorbant fabric ideas??

Archived