Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duce Staley?

Craig

I haven't heard that rumor, and I live in Philly. Where did you catch that from?

If true, and he came cheap, he'd be nice. He's not a pure runner, but a solid pass catching RB who takes a few yards to bring down -- a nice compliment to Davis.

Unless Ladell Betts turns out to be a complete bust in the minds of the coaches, you won't see the Redskins add any veteran running backs, we just can't afford it.

If we were hell bent on getting a veteran backup to Davis we would have passed on Betts and taken someone else in the second round.

And if the Redskins WERE to become interested in a veteran back Staley is a poor risk with his history of injuries.

Let's face it, Buckhalter may be a decent back but is no franchise talent.

For Reid to give up on Staley who ran for 1,200 yards in 2000 Duce had to have lost some speed and acceleration coming back from injury.

In light of Buckhalter's injury, I can't see the already running back-depleted Eagles cutting Staley, especially since they are like $10 million under the salary cap. He would be a good fit in our spread offense, but I can't see why we wouldn't just resign KiJana Carter if we wanted another veteran RB on the roster.

I feel confident with our current corps of running backs. Staley is most effective in the passing game, but do any of you remember when Stephen Davis started at fullback and Skip Hicks was the tailack. Davis did pretty good job at catching swing passes. We also have Bryan Johnson who is effective at the same thing. AND from what I have read about Betts and Cartwright, they are both fairly effective short yardage receivers. All this doesn't even account for the fact that we have to demonstrate prudence with the salary cap since we are semi-screwed with space. I would not sign him.

Archived