Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot a Chief?

afparent

With an obvious need to upgrade the defense, the Chiefs might be wise to pursue Redskins CB Fred Smoot. He would pair with Eric Warfield to give the team a formidable cornerback duo. The Steelers' Kendrell Bell has played in only three games this season because of injuries, but if healthy, he would give the Chiefs a linebacker who can rush the passer. On offense, they likely will look at Raiders WR Jerry Porter, even with the late-season strides made by rookie Samie Parker. The Jaguars are another team that could be interested in Porter, though coach Jack Del Rio says he's happy with his current group of receivers. ...

The Redskins and Giants are in the market for a big-play wide receiver. Two wide receivers should be especially appealing to Washington: Muhsin Muhammad (Panthers) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals). Muhammad performed impressively this season, but he'll be 32 when the 2005 season begins. Houshmandzadeh has the speed to get downfield and also might be a good choice for the 5-yard out patterns Joe Gibbs likes to call. The Giants also might consider Houshmandzadeh, as well as the Steelers' Plaxico Burress and the Raiders' Jerry Porter. ...

What happens in the postseason will go a long way in determining the team's offseason plans, but the Eagles will attempt to retain their key free agents (MLB Jeremiah Trotter, DT Corey Simon, DE Hugh Douglas, RE Derrick Burgess, TE Chad Lewis and RB Brian Westbrook) before they shop the market. If they do look elsewhere, it likely would be for a reliable wide receiver and depth on the offensive and defensive lines. ...

The Cowboys need a pass-rushing defensive end, and Jets RE John Abraham could be targeted. Coach Bill Parcells drafted Abraham and would have a feel for whether Abraham's previous off-field issues would be problematic. Abraham would give Dallas a third pass rusher capable of beating single coverage.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3310950

Originally posted by goskins

I don't know if the Chiefs are going to persue Smoot, I wouldn't be suprised.

According to the WPs Mark Maske however, he says that the Skins chance of re-signing both Smoot and Pierce is around 70%.

thats good news coming from Maske...he's pretty reliable

Go after John Abraham in free agency. That gives us a viable pass rusher. Move Wynn to tackle where he can rotate. Then for reciever you draft Mike Williams. He is a stud. The guy makes the tough catches (consistently) and is physical.

I would love to keep Smoot, but not at the price he is asking. I just don't think we can do it.

Hey Ghost, why do you say that smoot must stay? I really like the guy, don't get me wrong, but look at how well we did without him in the vikes game. We contained one of the most explosive passing offenses in the game with Garnell Wilds on the field, and for awhile, with neither of our starting corners. I really like smoot, but I think he's expendable, especially if he's asking for an unreasonable salary.

Originally posted by Burger35

Go after John Abraham in free agency. That gives us a viable pass rusher. Move Wynn to tackle where he can rotate. Then for reciever you draft Mike Williams. He is a stud. The guy makes the tough catches (consistently) and is physical.

I would love to keep Smoot, but not at the price he is asking. I just don't think we can do it.

F John Abraham. He only shows up on his contract years and won't play in the playoffs because he doesn't wanna get hurt for free agency.

Originally posted by Burger35

There is no realistic way that we could afford Abraham.

Archived