Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs to give a hard look at the offense

WallyG3

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44953-2005Jan3.html?nav=rss_sports

Gibbs to Give Hard Look at Offense

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, January 3, 2005; 3:55 PM

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said today that he and his assistants will thoroughly evaluate the team, particularly an offense that finished among the league's worst units, now that the season is over for Washington.

Gibbs said he plans to recommend changes to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato. But Gibbs said he doesn't expect wholesale changes or another off-season as active as last year's, when the club changed half of its roster.

"I don't foresee us with that kind of a change on the team," Gibbs said at Redskins Park. "I think we have a real core group of guys. I think we have a great locker room, I think we've got great character. Obviously, there'll be a few isolated things there that we need to fix. . . . The best thing is we have a real solid group of guys."

A 6-10 finish, Gibbs's worst record in his 13 years as an NFL coach, gives Washington the ninth pick in the 2005 NFL draft this April. However, Gibbs said that his first priority will be analyzing the current roster before seeking improvements.

The Redskins finished the season with the league's 30th ranked offense -- it averaged only 16.8 points per game -- and had particular difficulty connecting on long passes. "We need to take a long hard look about everything on offense," Gibbs said.

Gibbs met with Snyder and Cerrato this morning and planned another meeting tonight to discuss areas of concern on the team. By the end of the week, Gibbs said he wants to have a depth chart that will rank the players at each position going into the off-season. "We lived with them 20 hours a day for four months," Gibbs said. "If there's anything, I think I know our players."

Gibbs addressed his players this morning at the final team meeting of the season following Sunday's 21-18 victory over the Minnesota Vikings at FedEx Field. Gibbs emphasized to his players the importance of attending voluntary workouts, which kick off on March 21. Gibbs, who was disappointed by a few absences from the workouts last spring, said that he expects virtually perfect attendance this time.

Gibbs said the Redskins have a sufficient room under the salary cap to make some free agent acquisitions and re-sign veterans. The coach reiterated that he wants to re-sign cornerback Fred Smoot, who has reached a stalemate with the club on a contract extension. But Gibbs added that the Redskins have given Smoot a substantial offer and indicated that the desire to keep a "core group" of players will make it difficult for the team to offer Smoot much more.

Gibbs, who also holds the title of team president, said he expects left offensive tackle Chris Samuels to return. Samuels is negotiating a contract extension.

Although offensive tackle Ray Brown, 42, said he is contemplating retirement, Gibbs said that he expects Brown to return.

Archived