Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My First Mock Draft

Akhhorus

Primer:

There are five kinds of drafting styles when drafting early in the NFL draft:

“Need”: drafting the best player at a position that needs upgrading

“Best Player Available”: drafting the best player left on the board, regardless of position and need

“Wacky & Exotic”: drafting a player that no-one saw coming, see Oakland’s draft history. Could be a small school player, could be a name no-one can pronounce, but always interesting and usually results in death threats from Mel Kiper.

“Playmakers”: drafting a player, usually irregardless of position, because he’s a player who makes the plays when needed. This is sort of a combination of the previous three.

“Safe”: will take the safest pick on the draft board, irregardless of need, even if it means passing on superior talent and taking someone higher than they should go.

No Trades in this draft, but future Mocks of mine will have some:

1. San Francisco-(Need)- Aaron Rodgers QB California. They used to be the Gold standard of Franchises, now, it’s closer to Zinc. This pick makes sense on many levels. No matter who is coach next season, they will run the West Coast attack. Rodgers is an accurate QB, runs a Pro-style system and will sell tickets/jerseys since he plays a few miles away at Berkeley. San Francisco is still missing things like Wideouts, Running Backs and consistent Oline play; but thats why they’re picking here.

2. Miami-(Need)- Cedric Benson RB Texas. Despite all the jokes, this isnt that bad a team. Ricky Williams choosing pot over ‘phins killed their season. Feeley has been playing well of late and Chambers/McMichael are an effective combo. They take Benson and hope he never discovers pot.

3. Cleveland-(BPA)- Matt Leinart QB USC. So many holes on this team. No matter who is running/coaching this team they desperately need a QB. If Leinart comes out, then they take him in about 15 seconds and it happens so fast that Kiper is caught readjusting his wig.

4. Chicago-(BPA)-Mike Williams WR USC. Bobby Wade as a starting WR? David Terrell? Wow. Grossman might miss some of next season, but him and Williams will make a good combo. Another team with a bunch of holes.

5. Tampa Bay-(Need)-Braylon Edwards WR Michigan. They hope that he doesn’t become David Terrell. Michael Clayton and Edwards might be good enough to save Gruden’s job. However, this is probably a place where a trade is possible. Safety and DE are also possibilities.

6. Tennessee-(BPA)-Alex Barron OT FSU. They will lose both Brad Hopkins and Fred Miller due to cap cuts. They need to protect Volek, or McNair. The question is if Barron can play LT, if not he drops a few picks. If so, its a real good value pick for the Titans. This is another team that will surprise people next year, once they get their defense back from injury.

7. Oakland-(Wacky)-Cadilac Williams RB Auburn. The always interesting Oakland pick. They have so many holes(the biggest being Norv Turner), the question is who is drafting for them. If it’s Al “Tracksuit” Davis, then someone funny like Antrell Rolle or Derrick Johnson could go here. If Norv is drafting, they desperately need a RB.

8. Arizona-(Playmakers)-Derrick Johnson LB Texas- Denny Green could use both a RB & a QB, but that defense is bad. Johnson would be a steal this late. They could use a defensive lineman more, but they have been burned on several recently(Wendell Bryant, Calvin Pace, etc).

9. Washington-(Playmakers)-David Pollack DE Georgia. This is high for Pollack, but there is no-one really here the Skins will take(with the current rankings of players). A trade is likely. Pollack would make sense a few picks from here, but he’s a blue collar type player who makes plays. A Gibbs’ type player. Heath Miller is also a strong possibility.

10. Detroit-(BPA)-Heath Miller TE UVA. They could use a bunch of positions. Dline, Safety, etc etc. If Charles Rodgers can stay healthy(ha), Roy, Rodgers and Heath are a scary combo. Harrington would be out of excuses if he couldn’t produce with those guys and Kevin Jones running it.

11. Dallas-(BPA)- Thomas Davis FS Georgia. This allows Roy Williams to slide back to SS(where he’s more suited). Every saw how bad the defense was without Darren Woodson, and with the new rules a CB is a bad choice. Also Dallas has another 1st round pick, so they can take Davis a bit high.

12. San Diego-(Safe)- Elton Brown OG UVA. Marty loves to stockpile Olinemen. Good safe pick that also improves their unit. They really would have liked to draft Thomas Davis and if he drops then they will take him in a second.

13. Houston-(Need)- Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma. This is a team without much of an identity. They have obvious talent, but seem to fail. They would love a good WR to go with Andre Johnson, but Mark Clayton isn’t worth it here.

14. Carolina-(BPA)- David Baas OC/G Michigan. They need olinemen badly. The Defense could use a DE to replace Mike Rucker. What they really need to do is dump Stephen Davis and start DeShaun Foster. Baas is a blue collar type player for John Fox to mold.

15. Kansas City-(Wacky)- Erasmus James DE Wisconsin. He drops because of the hip injury, but KC gets a good player. However, you just never know with KC, they could go offense here. They also have holes on defense at the other DE spot, both DTs, two LB spots, entire secondary...

16. New Orleans-(BPA)- Rodrique Wright DT Texas. Who knows with New Orleans. The offense seems to be coming around, but the defense is a liability. Howard is gone, but Charles Grant and Will Smith will replace him. LB seems to be secure, as does the secondary. However, DT is a major hole: Johnathan Sullivan is a stiff and a half, Wright would be a great value pick here.

17. Cincinnati-(Wacky)- Marlin Jackson CB Michigan. Why in the blue hell did they draft Chris Perry last year? How much do you want to bet he’s with another team next season? Tory James made the pro bowl, but he shouldn’t have. And they have major holes in the secondary. Fred Smoot might be headed here, if so, then a guy like Shaun Cody is a possibility.

18. Minnesota-(Need)- Antrell Rolle CB Miami. Their Defense is sad. Rolle will drop due to his physical style of play, and the Vikings will jump at him. The D-line is set, the LB are interesting, but the secondary needs desperate help. Well, actually they need a new coach and someone to beat some sense into Randy Moss.

19. St. Louis-(Wacky)- Michael Boley LB Southern Miss. Martz is seriously unpredictable as a GM. But they desperately need a LB. If one of the OTs drops, then they might go after them. But their Linebacking corps makes their D-Coordinator cry. Boley is a rising player who will be show a lot in the combine.

20. Dallas-(BPA)- Marcus McNeil OT Auburn. Oline is a priority for them. Larry Allen is retiring(or being cut). A bit of a reach, but Parcells can mold projects. WR, CB, DE is still a position priority.

21. Jacksonville-(BPA)- Marcus Spears DE LSU. A guy who drops a bit because of his lack of speed, but a good player. Jax needs offensive help, but they need to stop playing LBs at DE. Spears is an upgrade of Jason Gildon and Greg Favors. Good value here, this late in the draft.

22. Baltimore-(BPA)- Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma. What a bad WR corps. Travis Taylor, Kevin Johnson, Clarence Moore? Wow. Moore shows flashes, but Taylor and Johnson suck. If Clayton isnt here, expect a trade down.

23. Seattle-(Need)- Channing Crowder LB Florida. Chad Brown aint getting any younger, Anthony Simmons aint getting any healthier. They have a ton of free agents so this pick will replace anyone who leaves. Ronnie Brown could replace Shaun Alexander, Carlos Rodgers could replace Ken Lucas, etc etc etc. They need to dump Holmgren.

24. Green Bay-(Wacky)- Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn. Despite having Al Harris and Ahmad Carroll, their secondary is porous. Rodgers is a technically sound corner who makes plays. A QB to replace Favre is a popular thought, BUT they have two second rounders(one high) and someone like David Greene or Dan Orlovsky or Alex Smith will be there.

25. Denver-(Need)- Alex Smith QB Utah. Fast rising prospect who will go pro. That ticking you hear is the impending end of Jake Plummer’s stay in Denver. WR is also a possibility, as is TE; maybe they could use a Shut down Corner as well.....

26. New York Jets-(Need)- Ronnie Brown RB Auburn. Lamont Jordan will leave, Curtis Martin, despite winning a Rushing Title isn’t going to last much longer. Brown can sit and learn for a couple years then take over for Martin.

27. Atlanta-(Need)- Mike Munoz OT Tennessee. They need oline talent. Granted you don’t need great olinemen with Vick, but can you name their starting Left Tackle? Munoz will be a steal at this point in the draft and is a technically sound guy that Alex Gibbs can make into a star.

28. San Diego-(Safe)- Wesley Britt OT Alabama. Marty continues to rebuilt their oline; but God forbid he should take a chance and draft someone like Troy Williamson or Donte Nicholson here. Marty needs skill position talent on both sides: CB, Safety, WR, etc. Marty ball might be effective from time to time, but it sure makes for boring offseasons. A trade is possible if no-one is boring enough for Marty here.

29. Indy-(Need)- Shaun Cody DT USC. Defense, Defense, Defense. They have a good LB, a couple good D-Ends and good safeties, but the interior of that defense needs work. Larry Tripplet is a stiff and Cody would be a huge upgrade. Playing next to Freeney and Robert Mathis would make Cody extremely effective.

30. New England-(Wacky)- Pac-Man Jones CB West Virginia. Ty Law is probably gone and Troy Brown can’t play there all the time. Samuel is good, but talent is needed. You just never know with this team. They don’t need a whole lot outside of depth.

31. Philly-(Wacky)- Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin. They need to replace Corey Simon, a Runningback is a possibility, but no-one left here is worth it. They pick a couple spots after this, so a reach on a player is very likely. Hawthorne is a project, but playing with the Eagles will help him out. This pick is also very likely to be dealt, the Eagles have a ton of picks over the next couple years and have gone on record saying that they will deal a bunch of them.

32. Pittsburgh-(Need)- Corey Webster CB LSU. Chad Scott is a talent, but can’t stay healthy. They always need help on Pass defense and Webster is a solid player. If Plaxico leaves, then a WR is possible. They dont have many holes and Cowher finds good players.

I will now take your criticisms, death threats and attempted kicks in the nuts.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

well, dont just say that, what makes it terrible?

10. Detroit-(BPA)-Heath Miller TE UVA. They could use a bunch of positions. Dline, Safety, etc etc. If Charles Rodgers can stay healthy(ha), Roy, Rodgers and Heath are a scary combo. Harrington would be out of excuses if he couldn’t produce with those guys and Kevin Jones running it.

11. Dallas-(BPA)- Thomas Davis FS Georgia. This allows Roy Williams to slide back to SS(where he’s more suited). Every saw how bad the defense was without Darren Woodson, and with the new rules a CB is a bad choice. Also Dallas has another 1st round pick, so they can take Davis a bit high.

14. Carolina-(BPA)- David Baas OC/G Michigan. They need olinemen badly. The Defense could use a DE to replace Mike Rucker. What they really need to do is dump Stephen Davis and start DeShaun Foster. Baas is a blue collar type player for John Fox to mold.

18. Minnesota-(Need)- Antrell Rolle CB Miami. Their Defense is sad. Rolle will drop due to his physical style of play, and the Vikings will jump at him. The D-line is set, the LB are interesting, but the secondary needs desperate help. Well, actually they need a new coach and someone to beat some sense into Randy Moss.

(Antrell Rolle wont fall NEAR that far)

31. Philly-(Wacky)- Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin. They need to replace Corey Simon, a Runningback is a possibility, but no-one left here is worth it. They pick a couple spots after this, so a reach on a player is very likely. Hawthorne is a project, but playing with the Eagles will help him out. This pick is also very likely to be dealt, the Eagles have a ton of picks over the next couple years and have gone on record saying that they will deal a bunch of them.

32. Pittsburgh-(Need)- Corey Webster CB LSU. Chad Scott is a talent, but can’t stay healthy. They always need help on Pass defense and Webster is a solid player. If Plaxico leaves, then a WR is possible. They dont have many holes and Cowher finds good players.

All of those picks are ridiculous.

I don't like taking Pollack at all, and especially this high, sorry. He would be a good guy to have but is simply not going to be a dominant player at his position in the pro's if you ask me. I would be ok with him as a second rounder or something, but he is not worth a high pick, and not worth paying anything more than the rookie minumum in my opinion. He has collasal bust potential.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I just think he is too much of a risk, and will probably develope into a solid but entirely unspectacular player at this level. He just isn't worth this high a pick.

Originally posted by feeshta

I don't like taking Pollack at all, and especially this high, sorry. He would be a good guy to have but is simply not going to be a dominant player at his position in the pro's if you ask me. I would be ok with him as a second rounder or something, but he is not worth a high pick, and not worth paying anything more than the rookie minumum in my opinion. He has collasal bust potential.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I just think he is too much of a risk, and will probably develope into a solid but entirely unspectacular player at this level. He just isn't worth this high a pick.

like I said on the pick, it's high for Pollack. This is a rough Mock Draft.

No worries, Ak. He won't post his own Mock for fear of seeing the same type of posts.

At this point in the game that Mock looks just as good as anyones because what we know about the players thus far can be vastly varied from person to person. Everybody follows college ball differently, and some don't follow it at all:rolleyes: relying on draft experts like Kiper to spoon feed them info about draft prospects.

I wouldn't mind drafting Pollack. We can address the offensive needs in free agency and go after a true pass rusher in the 1st.

Heath Miller would look good as a Skin, too:evil:

Originally posted by HeavyHitta31

(Antrell Rolle wont fall NEAR that far)

All of those picks are ridiculous.

Actually the Dallas pick makes sense to me. Woodson was the brains of that defense and his absense has been a major reason for their failures this year. Not sure if Thomas can step in and be the leader that D really needs, but he could at least fill the void physically. I could also see a DE as a possibility, as Wiley has been a total disappointment at that position, a CB, maybe even a QB.

Dallas has options this year because they have a lot of holes to fill, so any of the above choices could make sense.

Originally posted by feeshta

Actually the Dallas pick makes sense to me. Woodson was the brains of that defense and his absense has been a major reason for their failures this year. Not sure if Thomas can step in and be the leader that D really needs, but he could at least fill the void physically. I could also see a DE as a possibility, as Wiley has been a total disappointment at that position, a CB, maybe even a QB.

Dallas has options this year because they have a lot of holes to fill, so any of the above choices could make sense.

If we pick a safety in the 1st round I will kill Jerry Jones, we have more pressing needs.

It's not THAT awful.

I think Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards will both be gone by the time that the Skins pick at #9 given that they fill the needs of other WR-starved teams ahead of them.

I think the Skins will go either WR, DE, or OC in the first round. At Center, I think David Baas from Michigan would be good, since he can also play Guard. But if I had to wager right now, I think if there is not a WR available at #9 that they want, that the Skins would take a DE.

Now my question is, what if they trade down and pick a WR - who's the next best pick after Williams and Edwards? I’ve seen WVU's Chris Henry play, and he’s amazing indeed. But I think it's clear that Gibbs likes solid, tough, physical WRs who may not have great speed or size (like Henry does), but have good hands and can play special teams and run block well. Thrash and Coles are ideal for him, but I think we all know that the bigger guys who can’t block like Gardner will be gone (he’s in the last year of his deal), and probably McCants as well.

The Skins are obviously not going to go into the next season with just Coles, Thrash and Taylor Jacobs… which means either FA or draft, probably both. I could see them going after Muhsin Muhammed, but they’ll probably draft one as well.

What do you think of Terrance Murphy from Texas A&M, Taylor Stubblefield from Purdue, J.R. Russell from Louisville, Reggie Brown from Georgia, or Craphonso Thorpe from Florida State? I’ve only seen one or two games with these guys in them, and I suspect that the Skins might trade down and go for one of them, since there’s such a big dropoff after Edwards and Williams.

BD

Originally posted by BD

It's not THAT awful.

What do you think of Terrance Murphy from Texas A&M, Taylor Stubblefield from Purdue, J.R. Russell from Louisville, Reggie Brown from Georgia, or Craphonso Thorpe from Florida State? I’ve only seen one or two games with these guys in them, and I suspect that the Skins might trade down and go for one of them, since there’s such a big dropoff after Edwards and Williams.

BD

I like Brown, but I like Fred Gibson more. Thorpe, Stubblefield and Murphy have issues.

I'm really high on JR Russell and Vincent Jackson from Northern Colorado. Both will be steals.

Archived