Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Free Agents who may look good in burgundy and gold

B&G

I think we will use our draft to pick up OL/TE/WR (just my opinion) and so I looked at TSN's list of unrestricted free agents to see who may be of value to us next year if they are affordable.

Here's the short list:

Ben Hamilton

Ht./Wt.: 6-4/283

Position: G

Born: 8/18/77, Minneapolis, MN.

High school: Wayzata (Minn.).

College: Minnesota.

2004 scouting report

Strengths: Is the Broncos’ strongest, most-overpowering run blocker in tight spaces. Comes low out of stance and plays much bigger than size. Sustains blocks well. Best in short area in pass protection. Has a mean streak and can anchor vs. bull rush.

Weaknesses: Is tall but lacks bulk. Is a decent athlete but is the least athletic member of Broncos’ line.

Bottom line: Hamilton has shown great durability, versatility and toughness so far, he is still young and improving.

Anthony Thomas

Ht./Wt.: 6-2/225

Position: RB

Born: 11/7/77, Winnfield, LA.

High school: Winnfield (La.).

College: Michigan.

2004 scouting report

Strengths: Has good size and excellent lower-body power, breaks tackles and finishes every run. Is quick to the hole, reads and sets up blocks well and has good vision.

Weaknesses: Isn’t a great fit in the Bears’ new offense. Is an adequate receiver but lacks versatility. Lacks elusiveness in the open field, isn’t explosive and plays with poor leverage.

Bottom line: Thomas can contribute in short-yardage situations and keep Thomas Jones fresh with 5-10 carries per game.

Chike Okeafor

Ht./Wt.: 6-4/265

Position: DE

Born: 3/27/76, Grand Rapids, MI.

High school: West Lafayette (Ind.).

College: Purdue.

2004 scouting report

Strengths: Has excellent strength and the ability to anchor at the point of attack. Can slip blocks in the open field. Is active and athletic enough to make plays in space. Beats tackles off the snap and occasionally tips passes at the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses: Lacks great size and wears down when teams run at him. Is more effective rushing the passer than playing against the run.

Andre Dyson

Ht./Wt.: 5-10/183

Position: CB

Born: 5/25/79, Logan, UT.

High school: Clearfield (Utah).

College: Utah.

2004 scouting report

Strengths: Is a gifted athlete with excellent top-end speed and closing burst. Can recover from mistakes. Is a playmaker. Has a nose for the ball and excellent ball skills. Is great at turning his hips and running. Has good agility and is smooth.

Weaknesses: Loses focus; is not consistent. Has decent height but lacks bulk and strength. Gets pushed around by bigger receivers. Likely never will be a force against the run despite his willingness. Isn’t a big hitter.

Bottom line: Dyson has become a solid starter with playmaking skills in pass defense.

Shaun Rogers

Ht./Wt.: 6-4/345

Position: DT

Born: 3/12/79, Houston, TX.

High school: LaPorte (Texas).

College: Texas.

2004 scouting report

Strengths: Has great bulk to dominate at point of attack. Plays with a mean streak. Clogs middle to keep blockers off linebackers. Shows quick first step to penetrate. Drives legs well. Has the bull-rush power to collapse pocket. Takes good angles and hustles.

Weaknesses: Lacks sideline-to-sideline range and good closing speed; is a step slow on the pass rush. Wears down as games progress. Plays too high when tired.

Bottom line: Rogers has had weight trouble, but if he stays in good playing shape like he did last season, he is very quick.

Two notable omissions: Plaxico Burress and John Abraham. I don't think we could afford Plaxico and, as much as I'd like to raid the Jets again, think Abraham's injury situation throws up a red flag for an individual who will certainly command top dollar on the free agent market.

If we can get Shaun Rogers, thatd be huge. However, we are doing solid at DT with Griffin, and a rotation of Noble and Salave'a. Ryan Boschetti also seems to be a good jack of all trades on that line.

Andre Dyson, hope we can keep Smoot and not have to go after him.

offensive line help looks attractive , but thats all to me , i dont think we need to even consider a-train , if we need a bruiser back we should just beef up rock and let him be a fullback type , we have portis and betts and they run well and will only do better with a o-line ....

Archived