Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mathias Kiwanuka playing today (12/30) @ 1:00 p.m ET

goldenster95

5 tackles and 2 sacks, that isnt bad at all. Whatever it is, he seems like a good prospect. He ways 268 I believe, and he can bulk up, but 6'8", pretty huge. Also, to put up those numbers despite being double teamed, he must be decent at least.

Im fine with trading down a little, there are decent DE prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round it seems.

Anyone know the status of Chris Canty?

Originally posted by JonBlaze

maybe he was part of the reason UNC didn't move the ball up and down the field in the 2nd half with the game on the line?

so the first half, when he was letting the RT pancake him, he was just toying with him...biding his time, waiting to make his move?

what do you want? the guy isn't Reggie White, no one is saying he is. Yes, he didn't dominate the whole game, but he showed that he can be a very effective pass rusher. You're conveniently criticizing one half where he did little, but ignoring the 2nd half where he exceled. Not saying he's a can't miss prospect, but to totally rule him out as a legitimate prospect becaus of one half of football is a mistake.

Forget about listed weights. They are bunk.

Guys like Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Jevon Kearse, and Jason Taylor play defensive end at around 250lbs -- and dominate. Once they learn how to play with their size in the NFL, they are factors against the run, too. Every one of them.

And Bert Berry, the late bloomer who's had double digit sacks the past two seasons and is in the Pro Bowl this year plays at that weight, too.

Kiwi looks to have the same attributes and athleticism that make Kearse and Taylor successful.

Amazing how hard some of you are to please. It's like "Well, he's not Julius Peppers, so we should pass..."

Just think about a player like Kiwi, even though he might be raw, at Gregg Williams' disposal. He made Kearse a factor, even as a rookie. He put a player like Aaron Schobel, clearly an inferior talent to Kiwanuka, in position to be a double digit sacker.

I like the possibilities.

what do you want? the guy isn't Reggie White, no one is saying he is. Yes, he didn't dominate the whole game, but he showed that he can be a very effective pass rusher. You're conveniently criticizing one half where he did little, but ignoring the 2nd half where he exceled. Not saying he's a can't miss prospect, but to totally rule him out as a legitimate prospect becaus of one half of football is a mistake.

I think he's a legit first rounder, but I dont understand the love affair people have with him now for two reasons:

1-The Julius Peppers comparison is ridiculous. Peppers is a once in a generation type player.

2-The Defense doesn't need any new players. The offense needs help.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Today confirmed the fact that Erasmus James is the most NFL-ready DE in the draft. I can't wait to watch him dominate against Georgia.

now him, I would like to see. But I still dont think we should go defense in the 1st round.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

I think he's a legit first rounder, but I dont understand the love affair people have with him now for two reasons:

1-The Julius Peppers comparison is ridiculous. Peppers is a once in a generation type player.

2-The Defense doesn't need any new players. The offense needs help.

1. I agree the Peppers comparison is crazy. I never thought that. Peppers was naturally a huge, athletic player. Kiwi is not in that mold (not many are), he's more in the Kearse, Jason Taylor type.

2. Crazy as it might sound, but the Skins have little room to make changes on offense, at least based on their draft position and who's currently on the roster. The Skins are looking at drafting top 8. That eliminates OGs and Cs because they just don't get drafted that high and it seems Buges has a thing for Dockery and I would assume they'd prefer a veteran C, not a rookie. OT might be an option, depending on Samuels, but for now, he's a Redskin so OT isn't an option either. QB is out of the question since Ramsey was named starter and the top two prospects look to be gone by #8 anyway. RB is unlikely with Portis and Betts already here, although Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson would be studs in this system IMO. TE? Cooley is filling that pass catching TE/H-back role nicely. WR is probably the only possibility with Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards.

The Skins have a top D unit, but they still generate zero pass rush from their front 4. Eventually, this will burn them. All this D needs is a pass rushing DE and it's complete. Gregg Williams made the Titans the #1 ranked D with Kearse as his rookie DE during the year the Ravens set the points scored against record. I honestly feel that despite having a top ranked D right now, the need for a pass rushing DE is hard to ignore. I'd also look at drafting another CB, especially if Smoot is somehow allowed to walk.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Today confirmed the fact that Erasmus James is the most NFL-ready DE in the draft. I can't wait to watch him dominate against Georgia.

I like James a lot too. More of the complete, all-around type DE. What worries me about him is that he's relatively a 1 year wonder (mainly due to injuries). I don't think the Skins could go wrong with him, Kiwi, even Pollack (lacks the measurables and what not, but I love his motor and production. Straight up football player)

1. I agree the Peppers comparison is crazy. I never thought that. Peppers was naturally a huge, athletic player. Kiwi is not in that mold (not many are), he's more in the Kearse, Jason Taylor type.

2. Crazy as it might sound, but the Skins have little room to make changes on offense, at least based on their draft position and who's currently on the roster. The Skins are looking at drafting top 8. That eliminates OGs and Cs because they just don't get drafted that high and it seems Buges has a thing for Dockery and I would assume they'd prefer a veteran C, not a rookie. OT might be an option, depending on Samuels, but for now, he's a Redskin so OT isn't an option either. QB is out of the question since Ramsey was named starter and the top two prospects look to be gone by #8 anyway. RB is unlikely with Portis and Betts already here, although Ronnie Brown and Cedric Benson would be studs in this system IMO. TE? Cooley is filling that pass catching TE/H-back role nicely. WR is probably the only possibility with Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. I'd also look at drafting another CB, especially if Smoot is somehow allowed to walk.

1-Kalimba Edwards or Justin Smith(maybe Charles Grant) is probably a much better comparison.

2-The skins have to go into the offseason to upgrade the offense. Now if that means trading down, so be it. The Def. could use a Pass rushing DE, but not at the expense of letting good Olinemen or a play making WR go. If it came down to a choice where the skins couldnt trade down for a decent deal, they will be making a mistake drafting a DE over a WR or TE or Olineman.

1.None of those guys are built like Kiwi (maybe Edwards), but I see what you're trying to say. We'll just disagree on that one a bit.

2. Agreed to an extent, that's why I said based on the Skins current draft position. If they trade down and we see some other moves that make it more obvious what they plan on doing (releasing a player or two, signing a FA) then offense definitely could be the way to go. For instance, if they end up releasing Samuels, then obviously OT becomes a pretty high priority. I'd love to see Elton Brown join the SKins, but an OG at #8? He'd be the highest paid OG in the NFL automatically. Besides, do you see the Skins moving Randy Thomas or Dockery? I think Dockery's been stinking up the joint, but Buges seems to be in love with him. TE? Well considering the Skins use Cooley like a pass catching TE, I don't see drafting another one that early, especially if he's going to be staying in to block a lot with Cooley looking like a receiving threat. WR I can see for sure. Too bad this year's WR prospects aren't as good as last year's. I'm not sold on Braylon Edwards for some reason, though Mike Williams would be interesting just due to his size and hands.

Your forgetting free agency. The odds of finding O-linemen or a WRs that can help without busting the cap are MUCH greater than finding a pass rushing defensive end.

You have to factor that in when determining which player gives you the most value for that first round pick.

Plus factor in the way Gibbs has always preffered veterans on his offenses. I highly doubt Gibbs/Buges would go into next year with a rookie left tackle if they released Samuels. Same with the center position. He used a rookie this year in Cooley, but it took him awhile to trust the kid. Gibbs even admitted that he regretted not using him earlier. This shows he's still more of a veteran player guy. That would change if Mike Williams was drafted I would think.

1.None of those guys are built like Kiwi (maybe Edwards), but I see what you're trying to say. We'll just disagree on that one a bit.

2. Agreed to an extent, that's why I said based on the Skins current draft position. If they trade down and we see some other moves that make it more obvious what they plan on doing (releasing a player or two, signing a FA) then offense definitely could be the way to go. For instance, if they end up releasing Samuels, then obviously OT becomes a pretty high priority. I'd love to see Elton Brown join the SKins, but an OG at #8? He'd be the highest paid OG in the NFL automatically. Besides, do you see the Skins moving Randy Thomas or Dockery? I think Dockery's been stinking up the joint, but Buges seems to be in love with him. TE? Well considering the Skins use Cooley like a pass catching TE, I don't see drafting another one that early, especially if he's going to be staying in to block a lot with Cooley looking like a receiving threat. WR I can see for sure. Too bad this year's WR prospects aren't as good as last year's. I'm not sold on Braylon Edwards for some reason, though Mike Williams would be interesting just due to his size and hands.

I dont like Elton Brown, the UVA Oline always seems to get pushed around against good competition.

1-If you want a physical freak at DE late in the draft, check out George Gause(I admit I'm biased since he's a Game****). 6-6 270 and he has run a 4.6 40. He consistantly runs 4.7-4.8 and has a huge wing span. He ran down Chris Leak from behind once.

2-Mike Williams is interesting, btu I would examine him closely since he's been out of football for a year. He has amazing skills and physical ability.

Archived