Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam Adams a possibility

sagerose03

I know signing Eric Swann is absolutley idiotic, because of his age and proclivity to injuries, but talk of signing Sam Adams for the right price has come up. Is this a waste of money, given the defense is already pretty solid? Or can we not depend on Smith and Coleman as fulltime players and need more help? It has become apparent that two heavy tackles on the line is a very successful idea. What do you all think about Adams and other defensive possibilities?

SAGE is the man at QB in 2002!

No, i just like to half-heartedly endorse him. i think he's are best option at qb though, i like the way he played in preseason, besides his very first pass, which wasnt his fault because the corner was playing our receiver close and Sage was afraid to call the audible on his first play.

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving an old post....looks like it is inevitable that we will sign Sam Adams now. Would this be the best defense of all time? What other defenses through history would you say were more complete? 2000 Ravens, 93-94 Cowboys, 86 Bears? I really believe that if Stephen Davis gets his 30 carries a game we could easily win 12-14 games. I dont see any offense scoring more than 14 pts all year, providing limited injuries. Things are looking good i'd say for the upcoming season, but I definitely forsee a Raven-like dismantling next year:shootinth , at least this year should be an amazing one...

Originally posted by sagerose03

looks like it is inevitable that we will sign Sam Adams now. Would this be the best defense of all time? What other defenses through history would you say were more complete? 2000 Ravens, 93-94 Cowboys, 86 Bears? I really believe that if Stephen Davis gets his 30 carries a game we could easily win 12-14 games. I dont see any offense scoring more than 14 pts all year, providing limited injuries.

It's not inevitable we'll get Adams. Even if we do, don't waste your breath about the best defense of all time. We will do well to have one of the top 4 in the NFL next year.

Regardless of Adams, both DE positions and both safety spots will be weaknesses. You don't get to be the best defense in the NFL, let alone all time, with 4 out 11 positions substandard.

That said, with Adams, Trotter, Armstead, Wynn and especially Ray Lewis as DC, the defense will be very good and will help the team win a lot of games.

I think the best defense I've ever seen was the '85 Bears with Ryan's 46 defense. The 2000 Ravens were special, but I just don't think offenses are what they used to be before free agency (the instability has weakend the cohesion that offenses need, and there seems to be a shortage of good QBs), so I don't trust any statistical comparison of defenses between eras. The Bears defense was simply the meanest defense I've ever seen -- I think many offenses genuinely feared them. With the Ravens, it was more a case of frustration by offenses that couldn't get their job done. You also forgot the Pittsburgh Steel Curtain defenses of the 1970s, which to me are the only true rivals of the 1985 Bears defense in the last 30 years.

ASF, truer things are said in jest, or in your case----error. :laugh:

IMO I believe we will see a defense we couldn't have even imagined and yes the groundwork was laid by three DC's.

Rhodes, Schottenheimer, and now Lewis.

Ray Lewis crosses the mind when you say Baltimore defense. Marvin Lewis crosses your mind, when you say Defensive Coordinator. What now crosses my mind is the Skins big three in the front seven. I see No one with this equivalent.

Arrington being ****y at times will be tempered by Armstead's teachings or examples. Trotter will keep them all pumped with his motor, even though Arrington and Armstead have very impressive motors of their own.

Some will bite nails and say don't jinx them, but that's for people without confidence. These guys aren't going to just walk up to 325lbs of concrete slab and say something, they are going to "do" something and HOW it's done will be directed by a coach who knows the ropes in the ring.

He set Ray Lewis up with perfect execution, using what worked best to free him up. If for any reason the body we desired in the D-Line is not there, Marvin Lewis will find a way to free all of them!

Folks watch the blips on the screen this fall. :cool:

Archived