Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2005 Unsung Free Agents: 3 Skins on List

SkinsNut73

Originally posted by The X-Factor

If we do offer Rock a qualifying offer (which I doubt), what would we get? I'm not sure anyone would give more than a 4th rounder, but if we can recoup more draft picks, it would be wise to do so.

I believe it has to do with the amount of the offer. Coles was offered a tender to the level where the compensation was only a 1st rounder. 300 thousand more and it would have been a 1st and a 3rd.

We will resign Smoot and Pierce, Rock will be gone we will need his money for FA's and the rookie pool...

I like wall but I think Rivera may be better for us, the article did say that Wahle wasnt good man-on-man at the point of attack, he often gets overpowered....Although he pulls better than Dock and pass blocks better than Dock I think Rivera would be a better fit...

I like Rabach from the RAvens at C...

Originally posted by Akhhorus

I've yet to see the cap hell the skins have been despite all the "massive" contracts Snyder hands out. In 2000, they said it was coming in 2002 and so on and so forth. Please tell me Eagles fan, when's it gonna happen, because it never seems to.

I didn't say the Redskins were going to be in cap "hell", simply that it is an ironic turn of events when Redskins fans chastise Eagles cap management. I was merely responded to your misplaced claims about the Eagles future. :)

I've yet to see the cap hell the skins have been despite all the "massive" contracts Snyder hands out. In 2000, they said it was coming in 2002 and so on and so forth. Please tell me Eagles fan, when's it gonna happen, because it never seems to.

Well, I don't lknow if the "cap hell" is ever going to come, but isn't a string of poor teams caused by an inability to keep a core group together a version of cap hell?

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

I didn't say the Redskins were going to be in cap "hell", simply that it is an ironic turn of events when Redskins fans chastise Eagles cap management. I was merely responded to your misplaced claims about the Eagles future. :)

I guess we'll know in time if my claims were misplaced. But y'all have more big contracts than the skins. The Skins have Portis, Lavar, Coles. McNabb and Tra Thomas' contracts combined are bigger than those three.

I guess we'll know in time if my claims were misplaced. But y'all have more big contracts than the skins. The Skins have Portis, Lavar, Coles. McNabb and Tra Thomas' contracts combined are bigger than those three.

Actually- they aren't ;)

Tra makes about $3.75 million next year and Mcnabb will make around $7 million, I think. Portis will make that by himself, including his prorated bonus money.

BTW, is the guy who wrote this a Washington guy?

Not saying he's wrong, but it seems weird that 3 of the top 10 FA gems are on the same team and he considers the consensus #1 FA DT a "sleeper" to fill out his list.

Also, Tra Thomas is signed through 2008, unless something has changed.

Originally posted by f_dallas

Actually- they aren't ;)

Tra makes about $3.75 million next year and Mcnabb will make around $7 million, I think. Portis will make that by himself, including his prorated bonus money.

Combined total value of their contracts.

Portis: 50 million

Lavar: 76 million

Coles: 38 million

total: 164 million

McNabb: 124 million

Thomas: 35-40 million

Total: 159-164 million

and We're not even discussing Kearse's contract, TO's contract, Runyan's contract, Westbrook when he is a FA...

You can't just do that and have it seem like you've made a point. The yearly value and LENGTH of the contract is what is important. McNabb was extended for ten years, of course his contract in total will be bigger. And you left Samuels off, Pierce and Smoot both entering FA, etc. Every team has players that make a significant amount of money.

You can't just do that and have it seem like you've made a point. The yearly value and LENGTH of the contract is what is important. McNabb was extended for ten years, of course his contract in total will be bigger. And you left Samuels off, Pierce and Smoot both entering FA, etc. Every team has players that make a significant amount of money.

Portis' contract is eight years and is half of what McNabb got. Not arguing worth, but by your statement, the length makes the contract bigger. Lavar is 7 years, 76 million. Kearse is about the same. TO's contract is bigger than Coles. Samuels and Tra Thomas' are about the same. Jon Runyan is making almost twice what Jansen is making. The Eagles have bigger contracts than the Skins. You can point out Smoot and Pierce all you want, but they havent signed anything yet.

No way Rock is better than Foster. One way to keep Rock is to let him take over Sellers spot, As far as keeping Pierce and Smoot I agree that they are considered "core" players and should be kept, however, Williams has shown us all that he can get blood from a stone when it comes to players believeing in his defense and we should not sacrifice the need to truly build a team by over paying anyone.

Originally posted by f_dallas

BTW, is the guy who wrote this a Washington guy?

Not saying he's wrong, but it seems weird that 3 of the top 10 FA gems are on the same team and he considers the consensus #1 FA DT a "sleeper" to fill out his list.

Also, Tra Thomas is signed through 2008, unless something has changed.

No, he's not a Washington guy...he's from Football Outsiders and is more often critical of the Skins. Keep in mind, this article is not a listing of THE BEST free agents available. It's a listing of the unsung ones who may not get much attention once the signing period opens.

As for cap hell...I think all teams do a decent job now. Over the years they've learned how to work the system...all teams I believe. Some are better at it than others, but you don't see teams having a fire sales like the Niners did a few years back.

Portis' contract is eight years and is half of what McNabb got. Not arguing worth, but by your statement, the length makes the contract bigger. Lavar is 7 years, 76 million. Kearse is about the same. TO's contract is bigger than Coles. Samuels and Tra Thomas' are about the same. Jon Runyan is making almost twice what Jansen is making. The Eagles have bigger contracts than the Skins. You can point out Smoot and Pierce all you want, but they havent signed anything yet.

You miss the point. McNabb is a franchise QB, his contract will easily be more than Portis'. TO's contract is essentially a three year deal, after that it will be restructured or he'll be cut. Runyan has one more year with the team. He said he'll retire after 2005. Samuels has a larger contract than Thomas.

I'm not trying to compare the Redskins and Eagles, simply saying that Philadelphia is not in bad shape cap wise and every team has players that they've signed for large deals. Philadelphia excells in finding players and signing them to long deals before they've fully developed. See: Darwin Walker, Sam Rayburn, Greg Lewis, Hank Fraley, Artis Hicks, etc. They have the core of their team signed for years, and it is those players who contribute now and in the future who are signed to cap friendly deals that make the Eagles FO so superb.

You miss the point. McNabb is a franchise QB, his contract will easily be more than Portis'. TO's contract is essentially a three year deal, after that it will be restructured or he'll be cut. Runyan has one more year with the team. He said he'll retire after 2005. Samuels has a larger contract than Thomas.

I'm not trying to compare the Redskins and Eagles, simply saying that Philadelphia is not in bad shape cap wise and every team has players that they've signed for large deals. Philadelphia excells in finding players and signing them to long deals before they've fully developed. See: Darwin Walker, Sam Rayburn, Greg Lewis, Hank Fraley, Artis Hicks, etc. They have the core of their team signed for years, and it is those players who contribute now and in the future who are signed to cap friendly deals that make the Eagles FO so superb.

TO can "restructure" his deal but the numbers cannot change. You can't give back money, you can only defer it. Samuels' contract is 5 million dollars more than Tra Thomas. And its up after next season. The Eagles have done a superb job in managing the cap so far, but they have several big dollar players. Can they keep them while replacing the rest through the draft? Sure. But, sooner or later, those contracts will catch up with them. They are on the hook for over 200 million to TO, McNabb and Kearse. Yes they are spread out over many years, but they still have to pay it or cut them. The question for them is can they replace people like Westbrook, Lito Sheppard, Dawkins(who's a FA after next season), Trotter, Emmons, simon, etc etc etc because they cannot give out any more huge deals.

That's why the Eagles window for a championship run is closing not b/c of age but b/c in the coming yrs they are going to have to make tough decisions as far as the cap is concerned....If they continue to draft the way they have it's possible that they can keep that window open a little longer though....

Originally posted by jtyler42

That's why the Eagles window for a championship run is closing not b/c of age but b/c in the coming yrs they are going to have to make tough decisions as far as the cap is concerned....If they continue to draft the way they have it's possible that they can keep that window open a little longer though....

Philadelphia's "window" is open just as far as any team in the NFL right now. That is such a cliched and over used term, people just recycle it and make it seem like it's fact. Philadelphia's core is young and SIGNED- most to cap friendly deals. You look at their roster and you see the QB position, both WR, next years 5 OLineman, 3/4 DLineman, the LB corps, and 3/4 of the secondary all signed up long term deals.

The biggest obstacle for Philadelphia is mental. If they don't get to the SB this year, I question if they will have the mental toughness to rebound. They will have the players.

Akhorrus,

Dawkins is not a FA after next year, though there are voidable clauses and Philadelphia drafted a safety, JR Reed that they feel will probably be able to replace him by then. Sheppard and Brown were both signed to long term deals this season. Emmons isn't on the team, and Simon will not be re-signed because they have a productive backup in Sam Rayburn waiting in the wings, plus ELEVEN draft picks, and 5 in the first day in the next draft.

Archived