Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr. Z Gave the Skins Draft a B!

Dr. Z writing for Sports Illustrated gave the Skins draft a B! Did you see that Bulldog. Now you can relax and cut back on the Prozac. :laugh: Just kidding Bulldog. Bulldog aint pissed at me is he? :rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2002/04/22/drz_insider/

Yea................. the Skins draft got a B! :jump:

:wave: :wave:

:wave: :wave:

DALLAS

Jerry, baby, you broke the bank. You're the darling of the draftniks after you worked the trade and picked up the free one in the third round, who turned out to be Derek Ross, the Ohio State cornerback. Everyone knows that all Buckeye CBs are players. On top of that? Nothing but blue chippers -- safety Roy Williams, guard Andre Gurode and wideout Antonio Bryant, who's got Michael Irvin written all over him. Grade ... A

Doctor Z doesn't compliment the Skins without just cause. He has never forgiven Snyder for his mass firing of the so called "Club Med Crew", at Redkins Park ,when he took over -- many of whom were some of the good Dr's best inside sources.

So this must really mean that he thinks we did MUCH better than OK.

From "Z":

WASHINGTON

History might prove this a great draft. Bill Walsh made a living out of trading down, then trading down some more, until he had a mob of players, many of whom helped. The whole trick is finding the right people, and isn't that what it's all about anyway? At any rate, the Skins kept dealing until they wound up with 10 young people, and if QB Patrick Ramsey, who came to them on a, yes, a tradedown, unseats Steve Spurrier's boy, Danny Wuerffel, then we're on to something, folks. Grade ... B

[/qUOTE]

Dr. Z's 'analysis' means nothing to me because he doesn't relate how the picks are going to fit into THIS team and meet its needs.

Bauman may be a good selection for a cb-starved team like the Colts that needs SOMEONE out there to hold the fort down.

But on a team with 3 solid corners already and needs elsewhere entering round 3 it is difficult for me to believe that objectively a 5'8 180 pound cornerback was really the BEST player available FOR THE NFL.

Whatever he did in college has to be leveraged against what his measurables project to in the NFL.

The NFL for the past 10-15 years has increasingly become habitated by receivers at are 6'2 and 6'3 and run sub 4.5 times. They are quick. strong, and fast and use their bulk to take smaller corners to task.

That's why you see corners now over 6'0 in many cases. Bobby Taylor, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey. These guys are big and can jump for the ball matched up with these receivers.

Now there are some shorter folks that are excellent covermen, guys like Smoot who is 180 as well. But these guys seem to have an edge, whether it is an uncanny knack for coverage, lateral quickness, great anticipation that gives them a boost in their matchups.

Taking a 5'8 corner it is not enough to say that , well, Darrell Green is 5'8 and he is going to the Hall of Fame so Bauman should be able to make it.

Darrell is a once a generation athlete. You don't compare him to anyone else.

People fall into the same trap when they start talking about some guy being the next Jordan.

There is no next Jordan. There was just the one. :)

There are other great corners of course. Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson were also HOF players over the past 15 years.

But each of those players had different skills, different things they brought to the table to make them successful.

And I wouldn't want to look at another 6'1 and 215 draft pick and just on the basis of size and physical play say he is going to be the next Rod Woodson. :)

Originally posted by bulldog

The NFL for the past 10-15 years has increasingly become habitated by receivers at are 6'2 and 6'3 and run sub 4.5 times. They are quick. strong, and fast and use their bulk to take smaller corners to task.

Yeah, and don't fugget that REALLY big 6'6" WR the Cowboys took from the small school...

:high:

Eddie

This draft grade by Dr. Z is a good thing for the Skins. He has always bashed them at every chance he got and now he comes out and gives them a B when even ESPN gave them a C+. This is a good sign. I admit that I have no clue why the skins drafted who they did, besides Patick Ramsey but they are the ones that get paid the big bucks to make the team better. Long live the Redskins!!!!!!!!

I don`t think we are as bad off as some think,besides we are the Redskins aren`t we, and now we have a coach that keeps telling us he is a teacher and he will teach us to win again. Sounds good to me.

As far as Bauman is concerned I will hold off on my judgement until I have seen him in action on Sundays. Darrell proved it can be done, and I`m not going to say this guy is a Darrell, but will say I welcome him and will wait to see what he does with his chance at the big time NFL level. Its not the size of the dog, but it the size of the fight in the dog.

Now that we drafted Betts I suppose that we will not resign Ki-Jana Carter, what a mistake that is. Carter would be a great help and in my opinon more so than Betts if Davis goes down. But those are just my takes.

I am looking forward to making the playoffs and getting into the big with an honest chance to win it all. Thats what this Redskin Fan says and hopes for. Keep the Faith :cheers:

Archived