Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

File This Under "Thank GOD We Have Gibbs"...

I don't see ANY of the Redskins players EVER doing this while Gibbs is in charge:

Rice: Gruden's Motivation Has Fallen Short

During his Monday press conference, Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden expected to take some heat for his team's performance this season. He probably wasn't expecting an attack from one of his star players.

Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice said Gruden's failure to consistently prepare the team is one reason the Bucs are stumbling through a second consecutive losing season, The Tampa Tribune reported.

Rice said the team lacks discipline and accountability, and that the Super Bowl winning team was riding the wave of former coach Tony Dungy.

"It was a beautiful combination because you had this loose kind of cat [Gruden] come in, which was cool for this team at that point, but [we] were still under the influence of a former head coach," Rice told the paper. "And because the influences were so overt, [we] responded with the same energy level, with the same protections, with the same discipline.

"But the disciplines [have] really kind of changed, you know what I mean? And now these mistakes started floating in with no real corrections and we went with that because we had the best of both worlds. But now we're under this certain level of discipline, where a certain mistake is cool. It has to be, because I remember when I first got here, if you fumbled you weren't playing. That's what I remember."

Gruden declined an opportunity to respond directly to Rice's critique, a portion of which was not necessarily refuted by Derrick Brooks.

"Obviously, there are certain things people feel you want handled different," Brooks said when asked whether he believed the Bucs lacked discipline. "But at the end of the day, you have to play football. And if you're the head coach you have to be the head coach."

Gruden, known as an exceptional motivator, is in his third season as coach of the Bucs and seventh overall in the NFL.

Rice said many of Gruden's motivational tactics have fallen short this year.

"If you look at the game we won with Atlanta, he had clips going on, it was intense, and you just felt it," Rice said. "I said, `Dude, we're going to win this' because you knew you were going to win.

"But coming into [sunday's] game, I didn't necessarily believe that. I woke up and I told everybody, `Watch, I'm going to put on a show on the simple strength that that's who I am and on the strength of you know what, I really feel like we [needed to win], so somebody has to take some initiative and step out and make it important and understand what we have in front of us."

"But we really didn't play as if we [knew] what was in front of us."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1950894

Archived