Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

can ramsey read a football field????

bsmsss

I think most have a huge misunderstanding on what "reading the field" means. Reading the field means knowing your plays so well that you know instinctively where every player is supposed to be for every play. When the primary receiver isn't open, you check to the next, then the next and so on. When you know the plays like the back of your hand, this is a quick, fluid progression. When you are still learning the plays, this can be slow and awkward. You are actually "searching the field". This leads to holding on to the ball too long, and other negatives.

That's one part of "reading the field". The other part is having enough playing time with your receivers to know how they'll react when a play breaks down. Do they tend to come back to you, or try and seperate upfield. This obviously takes a lot of time and reps. As you start to figure this out, you will begin to make those good plays out of what appears to be a bust.

As PR continues to get more time, these things will become instinctive. I think many a young promising QB is ruined because they weren't given enough time to develop. You may find one once in a while (Ben might be one), who gets it quickly, but that has not been a historical norm. Unfortunately, fans and owners want instant results and aren't willing to work through 2-3 years growing pains as a QB develops. We need to let this happen and stop restarting the project. To discard PR now, would be horrible. It would only server to mire us in many more years of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Blondie

I question that myself.

He made a very bad play...........very bad........in the interception. And the roll out INTO a defender...makes me concerned.

Gibbs didn't play him in the beginning of the season for a reason............like it or not. Maybe that is how Rasmsey is practicing also......maybe the lack of field sense is what Gibbs and Co. saw.

Don't start pissing on me guys.......especially one of you. I call them like I see them.........not how you see them. And your rant and rave and calling me a moron won't change my mind on this one.

Patrick may or may not be the future. But one thing....if he continues to have the lack of practical sense on the field.....he won't be the futrue.

Blondie

*pisses on your shoe * ;p

this board is so split on people who think ramsey is the dumbest player in the NFL, to those who think Ramsey is the 2nd coming of peyton manning and conjure up any type of excuse for all his CRUCIAL mistakes this season..

for me, I think he's a capable quarterback, he can make all the throws, and the reason his completion % is so friggin high is because of all the 2 yard hitches he throws.. who can't make that throw? (okay brunell cant).. but still, he's not all that great, he still makes rookie mistakes in his 3rd year, which is inexcusable.. but i think with a SOLID running game, and good defense, and reducing the penalties, we could be a playoff team.. so no i don't think we should go out and sign drew brees but i'm really fed up as well as other people, on how much of an excuse people make for him..

I think Ramsey is still learning. He seems robotic about the plays, he is executing, reading, but has not memorized everything about where everyone should be. In other words the game has yet to "slow down" for him.The catch phrase for the year for vet qbs.

Archived