Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After a game like tonight, would we really be THAT mad IF.....

NoCalMike

Ok, I am trying to look at things from another angle. Lets pretend, there is NO hype for Gibbs return, that everyone is predicting in 3 season(this season including 2 more) we will be a superbowl team. That we will struggle this season until Gibbs is able to assess who belongs as a Redskins and who needs to get cut, and what changes need to be changed and plays need to be tweaked. Lets pretend for a second that THIS was the general sentiment from the moment Gibbs was hired instead of "Playoffs guaranteed" and "Gibbs himself is good for 6 additional wins" In other words, what I am trying to say is, lets go back to the beginning of the season and take the more realistic situation in that we are a team REBUILDING. Lets face it, anytime a new coach(and entire coaching staff for that matter) takes over a team, it is only a matter of time until you start to see them making tweaks and changes and figuring out what needs to be changed.

Now, I look at our offense and while it isn't a powerhouse, I do see it very different from a mere 5 weeks ago. Forget the QB situation for a second, just look at the running game. Portis is slowly evolving into a JOE GIBBS RB, while Gibbs is playing the "give and take" with Portis and actually designing some plays to take advantage of his speed. This of course was not the case before. Before it was a specific coaching philosophy clashing with a specific style of RB. Not anymore I say.

Now for the QB situation. Ramsey looks like a different QB from a year ago. He isn't there YET. But come on people are you telling me 3 starts is all it takes for a total transformation?

On the defensive side, I am sorry but as excited as we were to get Greg Williams, there is no way in hell we predicted we would be the #2 defense in the league in Week 14. Our D-line besides Griffin was not expected to be that good, especially all the subs we have been using.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I think when I see how our team plays against Superior teams, it is just becoming more evident that this WAS a rebuilding year, but none of us wanted to admit it because we fell into the same trap as the last 5 years of "GREAT OFFSEASONS" Our team is definately better then they were in Week 1, there is no other way around it.

The only post game comments I heard from the Redskins thus far was from Chris Samuels but what he said, brought a smile to my face. He said the team's heads are not down. He said this is a special team. He said we are getting better every week. He said this team fought it's guts out and it came down to the wire. He said this team earned respect tonight. That my friends is what we have been lacking in the past. And most of all, this team has officially BOUGHT INTO Joe Gibbs and his system.

I don't think you can look at last night's game against the Eagles and try to say that any ONE person is the problem OR the solution. Now Gibbs will make some necessary changes, whatever they may be, but right now, when I think of Gibbs and Williams as our top guys, I think FOUNDATION and BUILDING. That is what it is going to take folks, and this is only the beginning. I hope all of you are their for the fruits of this team's labor in a couple of seasons.

:helmet:

NCM

You can't tell me that GIbbs having trouble getting the play in during a week THIRTEEN game isn't an issue?

I see it getting better next year, but not unless Gibbs does some real soul searching this offseason. His imagination must be pushed and tested and he's going to have to get snappier with his decisions or "cut the chatter, Red Two."

I'm not saying it's all on him, but you don't put together the longest streak of games without a play of 40+ yards since 1978 because of personnel.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

NCM

You can't tell me that GIbbs having trouble getting the play in during a week THIRTEEN game isn't an issue?

I see it getting better next year, but not unless Gibbs does some real soul searching this offseason. His imagination must be pushed and tested and he's going to have to get snappier with his decisions or "cut the chatter, Red Two."

I'm not saying it's all on him, but you don't put together the longest streak of games without a play of 40+ yards since 1978 because of personnel.

The problem is that for the past five years it is ALWAYS the coaches fault, and Snyder has swooped in and blown them out, only to see no real change or results with the new hire. Gibbs is a proven winner, the players keep saying they have bought into his system, yet half of them continue to make boneheaded mistakes and costly penalties. Our PLAYERS haven't been accountable for jack sh!t since the last time Joe Gibbs was coach. Now I will admit, Gibbs has made some bad judgements in his first year back, but this is just a foundation being laid down right now, our core is being set.

I'm not letting players get off scot free. What I'm saying is, the D has had multiple season-ending injuries and still raises its game. The offense TRIES(you can see the effort out there) but the play design and playcalling seem to put the offense in a position where every completion is some kind of herculean feat.

Hell, even with terrible Spurrier whose offense everyone figured out in a matter of weeks, we still had some long plays here and there(and that was with a broke foot Ramsey and Coles and Hasselbeck.) I mean this team scored 21 or 24 against MIAMI in Miami last year in primetime with Hass at QB.

With this D, no team should be 4-9. Somehow Gibbs has coaxed out 9 losses from this squad that won 5 games with no D, no Portis and no Cooley.

Archived