Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Roster Dilema (Madden 05)

skns4life

i'm in my 3rd season in the Franchise mode in madden and have a bit of a dilema in my hands...here it is....

in my first season, i traded Brunell for a 1st rd. pick (dont remember who but yes they did trade a first rounder) and was left with Ramsey and Hasselbeck. After beastin it out with Ramsey the past two years, he is now 98 OVR. After the first season though, i drafted a QB (Peter Cooper) with the 1st pick and he was 84 OVR in his rookie year. I signed Cooper for 6 years. the thing is Ramsey is in the last year of his contract and Cooper is now rated 91 OVR with 5 years left in his contract...Cooper is almost identicle with Ramsey in terms of ability. here is how they compare...

Ramsey- OVR 98; TA 94; TP 97; AWR 99; AGI 59; ACC 55; SPD 52; STA 75; INJ 88; TGH 95; AGE 27; cap hit if i trade him for some picks $150k

Cooper- OVR 91; TA 93; TP 97; AWR 76; AGI 65; ACC 40; SPD 64; STA 75; INJ 79; TGH 54; AGE 22; he's signed for 5 years really cheap!

so what do i do? do i resign Ramsey for a high price? do i trade him for picks or a young player? i also have to choose whether to resign C. Samuels (who is good in this game and 99 OVR), D. Dockery (who is 92 OVR), C. Raymer (91 OVR), T. Jacobs (82 OVR), DMac (84 OVR but 28 years old compared to 25 yr. old Jacobs), and Matt Bowen (88 overall)...about Matt Bowen, i drafted another FS thats 86 overall in his safety position but only 79 in SS, he's more talented than Bowen and the only reason Bowen's that high in the ratings is because he has 99 AWR...so what do i do with all these players? which one's do i resign and which one do i trade for picks or other players before the season is over(i take the deadline off)? I need some general managers out there please...

If you don't get rid of one of them (QB's), the one on the bench is going to start whining and might eventually demand a trade... unless you win Super Bowl's every year. Sorry to say, but I'd dump Ramsey at week 5 for a 1, 2, and 3rd round draft pick (or the best you can get along with a 1st) to the team with a combination of the worst overall rating and record.

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

If you don't get rid of one of them (QB's), the one on the bench is going to start whining and might eventually demand a trade... unless you win Super Bowl's every year. Sorry to say, but I'd dump Ramsey at week 5 for a 1, 2, and 3rd round draft pick (or the best you can get along with a 1st) to the team with a combination of the worst overall rating and record.

yeah i know, cooper is whining after i lost to the cowboys:doh: (please dont clown me...i went for it on to many 4th downs:doh: and they got lucky)...thats why im thinking about trading Ramsey...i think i'm going to wait til after the Skins v Eagles game and see how Ramsey performs ( i'm a huge Ramsey fan and thats why i'm hesitant about the whole thing) before i make my decision.

McCants has great hands in the slot position. Regardless of what his catch rating is, I've never had any player get as many tough catches as him. I kept him til he retired at 35.

true he does...dang 35 years old? do you simulate the seasons? Jacobs is pretty fast though and gets open much faster for me but he doesnt have the hands that Dmac has

Originally posted by skns4life

how do you decide which 4 games of the regular season you play?

1st, 5th, 9, 12th, regardless of opponent or importance of the win. I started simming so much because I love the draft, and I want to get there sooner. I like the excitement of getting new players, so I'm interested in the roster turnover. Still, I play enough to where I know my players and get attached to them. Also, I sim the first round of the playoffs so I don't win the Super Bowl ever year. To me, splitting the season with some simming and playing provides a challenge at both GM and player.

Originally posted by FlyinO

Trade Ramsey for Kris Jenkins or Julius Peppers. Don't trade for draft picks, instead wait until all rookies are signed as a rookie will usually have a lower value than a round 1 pick.

i drafted a DT in my second season and traded like you said for a DE (the first pick) after he was signed and Wynn is surprisingly good...both of those players cap numbers are too high and i really dont need anyone in those positions...anymore suggestions that i could use?? c'mon.... a lot of people are always bashing the Skins FO, now its your time to help me with my team:D :D

crazyzeb, in my Madden 04...i won the super bowl 3 years straight and in the 4th year, Spurrier retired...well, i've won the super bowl 2 years straight and know im going to win it again (my record is 5-2 right now), do you think that Gibbs will retire?

I posted this in another thread, check out one of my teams:

QB 99 - 97 speed, 99/99 throw power & accuracy

HB 95 - Cool little speedy 5'6" guy

FB 99

TE 99

WR 94, 92, 92, 92 - All 95+ speed, 97+ catch and under Age 29 (tough to keep them all happy)

LT 96

LG 95

C 95

RG 98

RT 99

DE 99, 95

DT 95, 94

LOLB 98

MLB 92 (22 years old)

ROLB 92

CB 98, 91

FS 97

SS 97 (both safeties have been 99 for years, but are now getting old - their successors are in place)

K 99

P 98

AND

Look at all the first rounders I have!

(number indicates which pick in the first round)

QB - 29, 4, 8

HB - 2, 16

FB - 15

WR - 1, 10, 2

T - 2, 5, 7, 7

G - 5, 18, 20

DE - 2, 32, 14

DT - 3, 4

OLB - 8, 1

MLB - 1, 14

CB - 1, 8, 13, 1

FS - 13

SS - 3

I'm a decent GM. :D

And, so MonkeySkin doesn't make fun of me anymore :laugh: I've switched to All-Madden and am still winning just as much.

Originally posted by skns4life

crazyzeb, in my Madden 04...i won the super bowl 3 years straight and in the 4th year, Spurrier retired...well, i've won the super bowl 2 years straight and know im going to win it again (my record is 5-2 right now), do you think that Gibbs will retire?

I bet you he retires and comes back after a year or 2. Then, if you win another Super Bowl, he'll retire again.

yeh, i simulated 12 seasons in madden 04, I had Spurrier retire, signed Jessie Armstead actually, he won 3 and retired, had another guy or two in there, finally was on my 13th season with Marvin Lewis as head coach. The other people do return, I love how players come back to coach, and are usually not bad overall for positions.

I would trade Ramsey. Here's a trick, if you have the cap space, sign them to a one year deal, no signing bonus, high contract, and trade them. You can still get a first rounder for someone who is rated that high, and you dont get a cap hit. I always do that, if a high rated player is running out of contract years or I do not need them anymore, I re-sign them to one year deals, then re-sign and trade them.

I just finished my first season of madden 05, lets just say i had 2 first round picks and 8 second round picks. Im still stuck with Brunell, but I got rid of guys like Friedman, Morton, and a few others. I also traded Gardner (couldnt re-sign him or Brunell to a one year deal), he was only a 420k hit, and thats how I got my 2nd first round pick. I drafted a lot of high profiles that will serve me well, like C Ben Wilkerson (78), DE Canty and Roth (both 78), a SS (86, Bowen's a 91, but gotta go with the rookie), a new MLB since Barrow is old, and a buncha spot positions needed.

I would trade away some of your receivers, since you may not need them. I got rid of Gardner since McCants performed well as the #2 guy along Coles. I picked up a lot of players in FA before the season began, like Guard Solomon Page (rated at 85 when I got him, now is a 91), and CB Derek Ross (only 2 seasons old, and now is at 87 and a competent nickel, Walt Harris is at 85 and is my dimeback). I definitely re-signed Smoot and Rock (he tends to pancake people well when blocking for Portis).

I love how madden 05 has in season progression, i literally improved some guys like 10 points during the season.

I'm in year 12 of the franchise,

I kept Ramsey, Coles, Gardner, Lavar, Samuels, Jansen, Washington, Smooty, Taylor, Portis, and Springs.

I sim all games except for 3 or 4 division games, sim the playoffs, too. I play the super bowl if i make it that far.

Portis consistently ran for 1500+ yards, at 31 he eclipsed Emmit Smith's current rushing total. He still made the pro bowl the next year at 32, and is now splitting time with his replacement who I traded the farm for to get at 3rd overall.

Ramsey throws for about 3000yds/year, around and 80-83 QB rating. I drafted a guy in the 2nd to be his back-up,and ramsey got hurt, and the guy shot up to a 92 ovr at 25, but he can't beat out ramsey in the preseason.

When Springs turned 32 I moved him to FS and shifted Sean Taylor over to SS. Then Smooty was #1 corner, and was paired with a second year, 1st round draft pick with 97 toughness, paired with Smooty's 93 toughness, and I just ran super-aggressive pass defense in the gameplan and nobody could do anything.

I posted this in another thread, check out one of my teams:

QB 99 - 97 speed, 99/99 throw power & accuracy

HB 95 - Cool little speedy 5'6" guy

FB 99

TE 99

WR 94, 92, 92, 92 - All 95+ speed, 97+ catch and under Age 29 (tough to keep them all happy)

LT 96

LG 95

C 95

RG 98

RT 99

DE 99, 95

DT 95, 94

LOLB 98

MLB 92 (22 years old)

ROLB 92

CB 98, 91

FS 97

SS 97 (both safeties have been 99 for years, but are now getting old - their successors are in place)

K 99

P 98

AND

Look at all the first rounders I have!

(number indicates which pick in the first round)

QB - 29, 4, 8

HB - 2, 16

FB - 15

WR - 1, 10, 2

T - 2, 5, 7, 7

G - 5, 18, 20

DE - 2, 32, 14

DT - 3, 4

OLB - 8, 1

MLB - 1, 14

CB - 1, 8, 13, 1

FS - 13

SS - 3

I'm a decent GM. :D

And, so MonkeySkin doesn't make fun of me anymore :laugh: I've switched to All-Madden and am still winning just as much.

Man, stop being such a wussy and bump the computer's AI sliders up!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Archived