Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I could have anything......

Art

Let things loose.

If I could ask Gibbs to do anything at all it would be to simply let things loose. That doesn't mean I want him to sacrifice the foundation of what he believes in. I don't necessarily want him spreading the field with four receivers and just dropping back to pass.

I just want to see the sort of offense we remember from years ago. Though Gibbs ALWAYS has been conservative for the most part -- especially when he's ahead and ALL THE TIME when he felt he was overmatched -- I want him to let Ramsey unleash whatever it is Ramsey has.

Let him go down the field. You can always drag a back out of the backfield in a delay if you need a safe route should everything be covered. But, you can't take back those one second passes and one-yard routes that shrink the field for everything you do. Very early on you saw signs this offense didn't appear to be anything at all like Gibbs' old offenses. There are West Coast principles at play here that do not look at all familiar with what Gibbs USED to bring.

While I think he's still finding his feel again in terms of playcalling, and I KNOW in his heart he feels the best way to win when a team is banged up and overmatched -- as he must have felt last week and probably this week -- is to play it close to the vest and keep the team positioned to win as long as possible and hope something breaks your way.

If we were in the playoff hunt, that might be a good plan here. But, since we're not, I'd like to see Joe go back to his roots a little in this game and spread things out some. If he does that, regardless of outcome, I'll be glad for the attempt :).

Archived