Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freak's Peek, a live game perspective

freakofthesouth

Hey all! Just wanted to make some random comments on yesterday's game.

But first, I wanted to mention Hogfest, and what a fantastic job Tom and co. did in putting it all together. Plus, meeting Blondie (who swears she's changing her screenname to Freakofthesouth!), Park City Skins, Utah, Bang, and everyone else, was a great experience.

OK...first play out of the box...Taylor gets a pick. What a play; he is really becoming quite a presence in the secondary. As w/ the hoopla today (spitting, etc), his attitude is really starting to attract some attention. Plus, the kid made some greta hits, including one clothesline on Chad Johnson that was very physical. I mentioned this earlier...he almost picked off a screen play and took it the other way for 6. That would have won the game for us, IMO. Side Note: watching TO right now tear apart Dallas' secondary, I wonder how Taylor will match-up w/ TO's intensity. There could be an intense rivalry between these guys starting up next week. Let's hope Taylor gets the best of him...

Brunell never had a chance from the start. The crowd of nearly 90,000 rained boos on him like I have never heard. It was very, very loud and convincing. So much so, that I think Brunell was pulled just to be put out of his misery, even if Gibbs did want to keep him in. It was borderline 'mean' of Gibbs to make him deal w/ that.

Anyways, Ramsey came in, and the stadium lit up, including me and my drunken self. I honestly thought we would win that game yesterday. I honsetly did.

In both QBs defenses, there were not a lot of open recevers yesterday. I sortof' had the offensive coordinator's vantage point, and from the looks of things, the Bengals' secondary was not giving up much. That's why, from the TV, you just saw Brunell throwing it away, and Ramsey either throwing INTs, or threading the needle. Part of problem was our inability to establish any type of rushing attack.

All in all, the Bengals simply out-coached us, bottom line. IMO, there was some type of resentment coming from Marvin Lewis, Hugh Jackson and friends, and they marked this game on their calendars a long time ago; we just didn't know it. Whether there were hard feelings there or not, they still really wanted this game.

My conclusion? Give Ramsey one week to catch up w/ his team, work w/ his recievers, and get to really know the plays. Couple that w/ a full game, an attempt at establishing a potentially formidable rushing attack, and we could have a game next week. I do know this much- Taylor was a big reason the Bengals stopped going downfield yesterday. After they tried a few shots, and Taylor was playing well, they kept the passing game short. "jump balls" will not be so easy for Philly next week, as we all know that McNabb just likes to throw it up there.

So as for the experience yesterday...2 four-hour trips, great food and folks to hang w/ at Hogfest, and the future of our team finally leading this offense...I'd say it was a success.

:cheers:

Freak

Honestly man, if Palmer throws that ball, Taylor's gone for 6. Are we even talking about the same play here?

The Bengals were on our ten or so, and they did some type of play fake screen. It seemed to me that our whole defense bit on the play, and the screen was set up perfectly. Taylor was able to get through all of those guys to stop it, and he would have had the pic w/ no one around him. I think the play ended up a pass to another WR getting a few yards, though, but I'm not certain.

But to be honest, I really don't know what you're talking about when you say 'hitch'. It wasn't a hitch route, it was a screen.

I think ST is gonna start a big time verbal exchange next week and i'm hoping he can back it up. McNabb's ability to make plays happen out of the pocket is going to test how well ST's coverage skills are. I like his intensity that Taylor brings to our D..Hes young and crazy and loves to play football...I can say being the same age as him that I'd be just as intense out there

Originally posted by Blondie

Freak........Ramsey should ALREADY know the plays. Let him get the reps........so he can execute.

And.......you are so funny!

Freak of the South.

Hey!

Yeah, Ramsey should know the plays...I just meant in a timing, first-string kinda-way.

Good to hear from you, Freakofthesouth. :laugh:

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Honestly man, if Palmer throws that ball, Taylor's gone for 6. Are we even talking about the same play here?

The Bengals were on our ten or so, and they did some type of play fake screen. It seemed to me that our whole defense bit on the play, and the screen was set up perfectly. Taylor was able to get through all of those guys to stop it, and he would have had the pic w/ no one around him. I think the play ended up a pass to another WR getting a few yards, though, but I'm not certain.

But to be honest, I really don't know what you're talking about when you say 'hitch'. It wasn't a hitch route, it was a screen.

I was talkin the throw out to to flat, HB out of the backfield, when Sean had it covered until he dove like a rookie to get the ball, but instead it was caught by the Bengals player and taken for about ten yeards

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

I was talkin the throw out to to flat, HB out of the backfield, when Sean had it covered until he dove like a rookie to get the ball, but instead it was caught by the Bengals player and taken for about ten yeards

I know exactly what play you're talking about. I believe it was on third down. Taylor was way too optimistic making a play on the ball.

That kind of play is going to kill us when we play the Eagles. I'm not looking forward to the Eagles game at all because they will be doing a lot of the things the Benglas did to us in the first half and if TO can get going like Chad Johnson it's going to be over quickly.

Originally posted by laurent

I know exactly what play you're talking about. I believe it was on third down. Taylor was way too optimistic making a play on the ball.

That kind of play is going to kill us when we play the Eagles. I'm not looking forward to the Eagles game at all because they will be doing a lot of the things the Benglas did to us in the first half and if TO can get going like Chad Johnson it's going to be over quickly.

what does one have to do to get ur avatar?

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

what does one have to do to get ur avatar?

This was a one time deal at the end of last season . The mods offered it up for a small donation and I have chosen to stick with it until we manage to pull ourselves out of this funk we've been in for over a decade now.

Originally posted by laurent

This was a one time deal at the end of last season . The mods offered it up for a small donation and I have chosen to stick with it until we manage to pull ourselves out of this funk we've been in for over a decade now.

nutz, i want it. its tight man, sums things up nicely these days

Just got back in myself. Good to meet you to Freak. One play I remember commenting about to those around me was the one where Patrick put the ball on the ground in front of the receiver. Turned around and said, "Hey. Saw dirt fly on that one. Now that's an arm." ;)

I know the play freak is talking about I think. The bengals were on about our 10 yard line and it looked like they were gonna throw a screen but it looked like Palmer saw Taylor making a break where he wanted to throw it so he pulled it back in and found someone across the middle for 7-8 yards.

Archived