Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players fault or schemes fault

Chipper

Judging by the performance of our offense this season, I must wonder whether or not our players are playing that bad or it is a bad offensive system that needs to be reevaluated by gibbs. Lets look at some things. Brunell has definately seen his best days, and hopefully all his days at washington, but could it be possible for him to play worse for any other team? I guess thats hindsight now since ramsey is getting a chance, but ramsey didn't look all that great either, although a definate upgrade. Ramsey definately looked a lot better his rookie year than last game, but I guess well have to wait and see how he progresses. Lack of wr separation? Coles and Jacobs are a very fast combo to have a wr, and gardner isn't shabby although people have questioned his ability to get separation before gibbs' coming. You can't tell me coles and jacobs aren't fast enough to get separation. Based on depth, I would say wr should be a definate strength of this team, and for some reason it has been a major weakness this season. Maybe Gibbs hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game hear, because the nfl is a lot faster now than it was 12 years ago. The offensive line has two potential pro bowlers in thomas and samuels, and i know jansen was a big blow, but this also seems to be yet another weakness. Maybe these weaknesses can be traced back to a weak offensive system. What do you guys think?

Like most things it is not an either/or proposition. It is a combination of both. There are some things in the coaching and scheme that need evaluating. Gibbs has made some adjustments (e.g., to the run blocking) and may need to make some more. However, the players are also at fault: dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, stupid pentalties. So I don't think you can pin it on one thing. That is why it is frustrating to the coaches and the fans, there is not one thing you can just correct (e.g., scheme) or replace (i.e., player) to make it all better.

Archived