Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two picks, Two starters!

Snakehandler

I am officially no longer on the Joey Harrington Band Wagon. Reality has seemed to set in.

The last several years we have done well with our first two picks. If we can get a starting DT and a starting OG. I would be tickled.

Is there any way we could pull off getting Weaver and Fonoti? How about Weaver and Simmons or Gurode?

I think if we want to get a Guard and a DT, the Guard would have to be in the first, only because I would want at least one top prospect with Pro Bowl potential and that won't happen at DT...and Simmons, Fonoti and Gurode should all be long gone by #52

Our 2nd round pick is just a little too late for Weaver, Freeman, Tripplett or Simmons. We may have a shot at either Metcalf or Weary if we're talking Guard.

Picking at #52 may not even get us a starter. At that point, you probably fill one of your need positions with the highest rated player still left on your board.

I'm thinking our 2nd round pick will either be a G, WR or DE with Safety as a remote possiblity and could very well be predicated on what position we fill in round one.

I agree that I would be surprised if Tripplett, Freeman or Weaver was there at #52, and I would clutch my heart and keel over if Simmons or Gurode were there, but I think if nothing else, we can count on getting a potential starter at DE at #52...very deep position, but one in which only 1, maybe two starters will be off the boad by the time the Skins pick with #18, so there is a good chance one will be there at #52.

Drafting Freeman, weaver, or any DT who is not one of the top four at 18 would be a huge mistake. Weaver sucks .. he wasn't even all that special in college. Freeman could be pretty good .. but he's a gamble for whoever takes him. If Sims and Bryant are of the board at 18, the skins would be well advised to take Gurode or Kalimba Edwards.

Originally posted by RedskinsHQ

Weaver sucks .. he wasn't even all that special in college.

That just ain't true...in so far as an opinion can just not be true...I think Weaver could be a solid 10 year starter on a very good D. That is a lot of tackled for a D-Lineman, especially in 11 games a year, but he may not be the best football player available at #18

From ESPN Draft Page

Anthony Weaver

DL | (6-3, 296, 4.95) | NOTRE DAME

By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Started all but one game at defensive end in 1998. As an 18-year-old true freshman, had 28 stops, including six for loss, and two sacks. Missed the '99 opener with an injury, started Games 2-8 at tackle and Game 11-12 at end. Had just 24 tackles, with two for loss and no sacks. Started every game at left end in 2000 and had 49 tackles, 13 for loss, eight sacks, picked off two passes and broke up five others. Made his senior year his best. Had a career-best 59 tackles, including 21 for loss, seven sacks and even picked off a pass.

Positives: Excellent intangibles. Leader by example. Great effort player who works very hard in the weight room and on the practice field. Quick off the ball and plays with a good motor. Uses his hands well and generally plays with leverage. Can anchor and hold the point of attack when he plays low with his knees bent and his pads down. Can play tackle or end. Has gotten a lot more productive and is seeing things quicker and better the past two years.

Negatives: Lacks great size for a tackle and speed and upfield quickness for an end. Does not have a great burst or great explosiveness. Will come off the ball a little bit more upright than scouts would like. At times has trouble locating the ball while on the move.

Summary: A poor man's Bryant Young. Not as mobile, powerful, athletically gifted or instinctive, but there are a lot of similarities at similar stages of development.

I'm not so thrilled with Weaver. I saw him get barried against a beefy Boston College O-Line. He's not that big, and he's not super quick. Hi Motor, technique, and tangibles may work well in college, but I'm very iffy about that kind of potential on the inside, where there is no place to hide.

I think you have to be excellent at one or the other, otherwise, you are an easy target for some really good guards in this leage.

If we are relegated to choosing between a 2nd tier DT, a guard, and a safety, I say trade down twice in the first round, adding two second round picks and a 3rd round pick to our current 2nd round pick.

I really prefer both Freeman and Tripplett to Weaver and I'm a big Notre Dame fan. I still don't think I'd take any of the 3 at #18 although Freeman is VERY intriguing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get a player to fall unexpectedly to #52 the way Smoot did last year.

A couple of players I haven't seen mentioned very often at #18 or #52 are Levi Jones and LeCharles Bentley. Jones played G for a year at Arizona St. before moving to LT and Bentley can play both C and G a la Gurode.

Jones may still be on the board in round 1 and Bentley, with a little luck, may fall to us in round 2.

If we want a starting DT and starting G, which should take Anthony Weaver at #18, and Fred Weary at #52. Both will be there. Weaver is a good player, maybe not as good as the top 4 DT's, but can play both DE and DT.

He is 6-3+ and 296 lbs., and will be up to 310 lbs by summer. He ran 4.91 at the combine and did 24 reps. His production in college was good and for a 300 pounder to be able to run a 4.91, that is damn good.

Weary is also starting material, bench pressing 500 lbs., and can also play center. Those are your two starters guaranteed to be there. :D

From what I've read, Freeman is considered the best run stuffing DT in the draft. But I'm afraid he'll be a reach at #18. I'd rather get a solid pick if you can say that in Fonoti or Gurode. After the 4 DT's, it seems like anybodys guess for the remaining D-line.

Archived