Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Carr's contract breakdown.

Mickalino

The title of this thread sounds like something Buddha would write, hehehh......but here's the story

Texans Reportedly Will Sign

Carr to Seven-Year Contract

Deal Could Eventually Be Worth $60M

The Associated Press

HOUSTON (April 15) -- The Houston Texans are planning a Wednesday news conference to announce the signing of Fresno State quarterback David Carr to a seven-year deal, according to a broadcast report.

The expansion Texans announced on April 3 that they would take Carr with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's NFL draft.

Texans spokesman Tony Wyllie declined to comment on Houston television station KRIV's report Monday night about the news conference.

"We can't confirm anything at this time. We'll have an announcement at the appropriate time,'' Wyllie told the Associated Press on Monday night.

Carr's agent, Mike Sullivan, did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

Carr was in Houston last week to watch the Texans work out, and his wife, Melody, spent the time looking for a house.

KRIV cited sources close to the negotiations as saying Carr would sign a seven-year contract worth $46 million with a signing bonus of $10 million to $11 million. The deal could be worth $60 million if he reaches incentives that would make him the most productive quarterback in NFL history, sources said.

The station cited sources as saying the language of the contract is being worked out and must be approved by the NFL's management council.

Sullivan negotiated the contract for last year's No. 1 pick in the draft, Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick.

Last summer, the ex-Virginia Tech standout received a $62 million, six-year deal from Atlanta that guaranteed him $15.3 million through the first three years, including a signing bonus of $3 million.

In 37 games at Fresno State, Carr completed 62.8 percent of his passes for 7,849 yards, 70 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. As a starter, he had an 18-8 record.

As a senior, Carr led the nation with 4,308 yards passing and 42 touchdown passes, becoming only the sixth quarterback in NCAA history to throw for more than 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in the same season. He led the Bulldogs to an 11-2 record last season.

Carr finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy voting and won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as the nation's top senior quarterback.

I read something not too long ago about how the agents this year arent going to be going for the whole split bonus idea. The reporter basically said we will see some big signing bonusses.

I think the reason for the change had to do with something about how the NFL is allowing bonuses to be amortized over 7 years versus the old 6 years.

I would take it from Carr's $10-11 million bonus vs Vick's $3 million bonus is an indicator he was right. I wonder how that will change things for us? I would assume picking at 18 we will be safe from any crazy bonus $ but if we trade up to get Harrington we might be shelling out large up front cash.

Archived