Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Student loans

Nerm

I was wondering if anyone here knows a lot about student loan consolidation or knows a good place to get information on the subject. I am finishing up my Ph.D. I took a year off between undergrad and grad school. My undergrad loans are now in deferment while I am in grad school, but I went through the grace period and was paying them for about 6 months before I entered grad school. I also took some loans out in grad school.

1. Do I get another grace period or do I have to start paying them right away? Do I get a grace period on the grad school loans but not the undergrad loans?

2. Can I consolidate both the undergrad and grad loans together?

3. Can I get a tax break on the interest if I pay it this year (even though I am still in school)?

4. Are most consolidation loans the same or are some better than others? What should I look for? Is there a “best” company to consolidate with?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Any advice or links?

Thanks

Originally posted by Nerm

1. Do I get another grace period or do I have to start paying them right away? Do I get a grace period on the grad school loans but not the undergrad loans?

2. Can I consolidate both the undergrad and grad loans together?

3. Can I get a tax break on the interest if I pay it this year (even though I am still in school)?

4. Are most consolidation loans the same or are some better than others? What should I look for? Is there a “best” company to consolidate with?

1- your undergrad loan's grce period is used so you will be required to pay. If you are unemployed you might as well apply for a deferment of forbareance after school. Your grad loans will have the 6 month grace period after school. This only applies if they are stafford loans, and not private.

2- yes, if they are all stafford, over $20,000, and you have more than one lender. If you have opnly 1 you can only consolidate with the company you took them out with.

3- All consolidators will tell you to check with your tax preparer or the IRS. The rules and amounts are changing this year. ( usually yes)

4- All companies have their small differences. Majority of the larger companies have fine print , with big words that trap you into things you don't want to do. The company I previously worked for was created after the 3 current owners worked for another scam consolidator. Basically they got together and created a company that surpassed all others morally. Unlike the other companies they get a flat rate for every person they help.

Basically this is the plan: If you have 2 lenders and over $20,000 they would put the two of your loans together as 1 monthly bill. As an insentive for consolidating in your grace period ACFS will take off 0.8% off your interest rate. As an insentive for making your payments via ACH they take off another 0.25%. As an insentive for making 36 consecutive on time payments they take off another 1 full percent. Without your exact numbers I can't give you an estimate. Either way this program will save you thousands.

I personally don't work for the company anymore because I am about to move to Arizona , but my Father would be more than happy to ansewr any questions:

Here's his number: 727-644-7566 cell*

If you don't want to pay 10 minutes worth of long distance PM your # to me with a time and date.

For the record here's the site to my previous company:

http://www.acfsloans.com/

Before you call them I'd suggest you speak with my Father ( Richard ) first. He's more knowledgeable on this than any rep. you'd speak with. You can call Richard from 9-9 eastern.....

Have a nice day......

:cheers:

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

1- your undergrad loan's grce period is used so you will be required to pay. If you are unemployed you might as well apply for a deferment of forbareance after school. Your grad loans will have the 6 month grace period after school. This only applies if they are stafford loans, and not private.

2- yes, if they are all stafford, over $20,000, and you have more than one lender. If you have opnly 1 you can only consolidate with the company you took them out with.

3- All consolidators will tell you to check with your tax preparer or the IRS. The rules and amounts are changing this year. ( usually yes)

4- All companies have their small differences. Majority of the larger companies have fine print , with big words that trap you into things you don't want to do. The company I previously worked for was created after the 3 current owners worked for another scam consolidator. Basically they got together and created a company that surpassed all others morally. Unlike the other companies they get a flat rate for every person they help.

Basically this is the plan: If you have 2 lenders and over $20,000 they would put the two of your loans together as 1 monthly bill. As an insentive for consolidating in your grace period ACFS will take off 0.8% off your interest rate. As an insentive for making your payments via ACH they take off another 0.25%. As an insentive for making 36 consecutive on time payments they take off another 1 full percent. Without your exact numbers I can't give you an estimate. Either way this program will save you thousands.

I personally don't work for the company anymore because I am about to move to Arizona , but my Father would be more than happy to ansewr any questions:

Here's his number: 727-644-7566 cell*

If you don't want to pay 10 minutes worth of long distance PM your # to me with a time and date.

For the record here's the site to my previous company:

http://www.acfsloans.com/

Before you call them I'd suggest you speak with my Father ( Richard ) first. He's more knowledgeable on this than any rep. you'd speak with. You can call Richard from 9-9 eastern.....

Have a nice day......

:cheers:

Thanks for the info! You may have saved me some $$$

I think I will give your dad a call.

Originally posted by Nerm

Thanks for the info! You may have saved me some $$$

I think I will give your dad a call.

This info goes for everyone else too. Feel free to call him. He gets paid now to sit at home. He probably goes into the office 3 times a months.....mostly for his check:laugh:.....

If you qualify this program saves thousands not just "some money."

I actually get an even better rate because I'm studying to be a teacher in Arizona....But who cares about that.

Same applies for Florida ( special ) rates for teachers starting school in Florida....

Archived