Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst case Deion Scenario (Sorry)

Kevin West

What if Deion and the Reds GM discover that Deion has a pulled hammy? Can they put him on the DL until after July 29? That way he stays on the Major League roster.

I don't know if any one has brought this up, but Deion has stated that he has an "agreement" with the Reds GM. If that "agreement" constitutes a conspiracy to breach Deion's contract with the Redskins all legal heck could break loose.

Bottom line is, regardless of what the intentions are of his baseball career, he is Obligated to report with the other veterans when training camp begins, even if he's in a wheelchair. The league would clearly side with the Skins also.

Once he misses those days, he can bank on legal action to recover any of that bonus from day one.

I think if the this happens and all the sudden the timing is perfect for Deion to miss Skins camp and not play MLB, the NFL could be brought in to have their own physical checkup telling DE$ON that if he wants to be allowed to play at all in 2001, that he'll have to let their guys look him over to make sure there is no foul play involved. This sounds like a longshot but I got a feeling that if something this interesting happens then the NFL wouldn't mind being a little politically incorrect to make sure Deion doesn't become the posted boy for lies and broken contracts leading to a poorer image of the NFL in general.

bite me deion

------------------

Late

Then we would put him on the PUP list

If slimetime tries that there will be a new saying that people won't forget. Hell Hath no fury like a Danny Scorned.

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

[edited.gif by NavyDave on June 08, 2001.]

Actually now that I think about it, Imagine if slimetime tried that and Marty says yeah his injury sounds sevee so we will hae to put him on injured reserve thus making him redskins property for the whole season, out of the spotlight but still here in DC

------------------

Deion won't risk his ability to sign and play any professional sport by claiming that he has an injury. What sense would it make for a team in the NFL to sign a 33 year old CB who has had nagging injuries during the last few years anyway and who is now claiming that he can't physically play baseball? Moreover, even if a team does sign him, what happens next, a miraculous recovery? That would raise a huge stink.

No, I think Deion's gonna just play this game of chicken and attempt - in this order - to:

1) play MLB for the Reds until September, get released by the 'Skins during July, and sign with a contending NFL team in October;

2) if he gets waived by the Reds, attempt to get released by the 'Skins to sign with someone else during training camp; or

3) if he gets waived by the Reds, and can't get released from the 'Skins, return to the 'Skins training camp and try to put a happy face on the situation by either returning to his "happy to be a Redskin" act or by later getting released and going elsewhere.

I can't conceive of Deion managing to stay with the Reds through September and remaining a Redskin and returning to the team in October, especially with Marty running the show and given the number of CB's on the roster.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

The Redskins released Carrier, freed up $1.4 million under the cap and proceeded to finalize an agreement with Robert Jones that will net him somewhere over the minimum for 2001 and perhaps 2002. At the same time the Skins are shopping for a veteran free safety.

That means there are only a couple of ways of freeing up the additional cap space to sign the draft picks. Either Deion gets released or the Redskins renegotiate Stephen Davis/Sam Shade or release Shade.

Because of the cap implications in 2002, I don't see the Skins releasing Shade outright.

I also can't see Sanders coming back to DC after all those comments about the team and city. That would be a joke.

Think Mitch Williams was unpopular in Philly after he served up that Game 7 home run to Joe Carter?

You ain't seen nothin' yet, as the saying goes if Deion was to come back.

So, where does that leave us?

The Skins are getting some payback on Deion for all the garbage he has spewed in the papers over the past couple of months and will let him swing in the wind until it is the right time for US to let HIM go.

He will just have to wait it out and see. And if his baseball career falters, he will have to return the bonus money to get a chance to play somewhere else. That will be the deal.

The Redskins may have to renegotiate Davis and Shade for other reasons, ie to add other players, but it won't be to make up for Deion's cap number for 2001.

The Redskins don't need to score a victory over Sanders so badly that they commit cap suicide to do it.

I say renegotiate Shade's contract if not cut him. He is way to expensive and we can sign comparable players at the minimum now.

Then we can keep slimetime and force him hand because he knows the fans will be on his a$$ at every home game.

If we can keep him then cut him next June our cap would be in good shape

------------------

Archived