Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the most underpaid Redskin?

Depends if you are comparing Jansens $632,000 to other football players only, or if you are going to broaden the view a little and include schoolteachers who will work about 15 years to make that same amount.

Deions salary would be enough to pay every teachers salary in a elementary, middle, and high school for an entire year. Thats right he is making more than 150 teachers salaries combined. Hmmm.

The question was "Who is the most underpaid Redskin?". I don't think that applies to teachers or anyone else for that matter who works a career and doesn't make that type of money.

I thought of Jansen before I even opened the post. Barber was as well until he signed his tender offer.

DH & KirkNC,

Teacher's salaries are irrelevent here, no matter what the question unless it was 'who is the most underpaid teacher?' Compenstation is based on supply and demand just like your groceries. More people can teach than can play football relative to demand, so football players get paid more.

I'll take Thrash at $477K. He did a lot for the team last season.

Everyone seems to love Jansen and Alexander around here. If you go back and watch the film, you'll notice that Jansen isn't that great. He's pretty much peaked out because he isn't that strong and quick. Watch the ground he gives in pass protection. He's definately not a Kyle Turley caliber RT.

------------------

ShonyX

In today's professional sports arena, there is no athlete that is underpaid. Not a single player.

Not too long ago, most athletes of all professional teams had to have regular jobs in their off-seasons. No more!

Now, with NFL veterans earning a mandated half million for a sixteen game schedule, it's hard to believe anyone could think them underpaid.

Yes, teachers are underpaid, vastly. A large percentage of athletes, degreed or not, would find it impossible to earn a living in the real-world.

But in the spirit of the thread's query, if I had to pick an underpaid Redskin, it would be. . .Cory Raymer, since I used to be a center, I know those guys have one hell of a task, without a lot of ink or attention.

Jansen is a fu**ing stud. He is a mauler in the running game and he might have given up 3 sacks all year. And all he does is dominate Strahan every time they line up together. Thrash played nowhere near as well and earned just 200K less. Your membership should be revoked for even breathing the 2 in the same breath.

I would have to say Marty, if you figure in the fact that Norv had developed a feeling that the Skins were never going anywhere. This man has given the fans hope that our beloved Skins may not be great this year but we will play hard and true every game. He will get more out of everyone on the roster than Norv ever could. He has silenced the "Danny boy" run the show critics. This man and one man alone has given me hope for this season and beyond and that is priceless

Hail Skins

hey shony,

i think what you're seeing there is people getting underneath him. he's big,doesn't really have alot of lead in his @$$ but i don't think it's a lack of strength but leverage. samuels was letting hugh douglas do some of the same things to him. douglas kept getting inside and underneath of chris. both have room for improvement. sharp eye big fella,hail!

I thought Thrash did a great job last year. He's no Randy Moss, but he helped the team.

Jansen is no slacker, that is true. I agree that he's overpaid, but he's not an allpro. He seems to be a good run blocker, and he can get to linebackers pretty well. VS the pass, Jansen isn't great. He's just average in that area. Be it leverage/strength/quickness, he gets pushed back into the pocket with regularity. Pro-Bowl tackles don't let that happen.

Samuels is going to be a much better player than Jansen, he'll be a all-pro someday. Jansen will always be a good solid guy. There's nothing wrong with that.

------------------

ShonyX

Thrash did a fine job last season. He had a better average on returns then Dejon. Doing the double duty pounded the snot out of the guy, once he was starting at wideout, so his productivity dropped of at the end a bit.

Under paid, I would go with Barber. I also do agree that not a single man in the NFL is under paid as Shamaran stated.

Compenstation is based on supply and demand just like your groceries.

Our school distrect, had planed on the hire of 22 new teachers and or aids, due to general groth for 2002. Tally (FL) just gave us the budget for 2002. We have to let 143 teachers go due to lack of money.

Supply and demand my A$$

i agree that james thrash is a player. certainly not the most gifted guy,but a guy that knows his role and gets after it. maintained his intensity during his stay at club med! yup,i'd've kept him.

hey shony you're right about jansen. i don't think his feet are a weakness,but they're no asset either. he's still young and if he stays healthy,he'll be ok. but if he starts having some knee problems,it's over. he knows how to position and maximize his efforts. he's solid. uses his hands real well. problem is,he doesn't always get the most out of them cause he's too upright.

he's real disiplined,knows the angle he wants to best neutralize his man. always has his head in the game. plays position,doesn't get juked or rocked. but still,we go up against like a healthy new orleans bunch and they get us where they can get into their mix,and he's gonna have his share of problems. get him having to read and recover and it's a different deal. i see very few wasted steps w/him. i think samuels is gonna be the real deal too! hail the OTs

[edited.gif by markrc99 on June 08, 2001.]

Only in terms of last year, Thrash wasn't.

Jansen was, period. Check the stats for his work, check his

durability, work ethic, discipline, unselfishness and attitude. It smells of sweet success, just like Samuels and Bailey. It's the identifiable mark found on Darrell Green, Bruce Smith, B'Mitch. You can't buy it. It's a gift and Jon Jansen, our third year Right Tackle is worth big dollars, equaled only by his teammate Chris Samuels, in the NFL, this year.

Thrash wasn't exactly in the same cookie cutter as the guys mentioned above, but he showed the "potential". Remember, he had to "start" and "play" all 16 games to get the vote.

He had his moments to show some, "still in development" stage. However, the "line" as decemated as it was, was held together by the two best tackles since Jim Lachey and Joe Jacoby, or even George Starke on the Washington Redskins team.

Name a player in the first paragraph that couldn't do it.

Archived