Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we go all the way?

jacs

It's 6-7. After starting inside our 1 yard line, we've gone 15 yards. There's less than 50 seconds on the clock. Can the team go another 85 yards to win the game? I think we have the team to do this. What do you think?

(This is just one of many things I think about when I can't get to sleep at night.rolleyes.gif

If the opposing team's held us to 6 points, then I've got to wonder.

Seriously, I'd say that this will be an area of weakness for us simply because that is the kind of demand that Jeff George has demonstrated throughout his career that he cannot meet. I've stated in other threads that the biggest question mark on our team is the QB. We're solid or adequate everywhere else (with the present possible exception of DT, which I'm sure we'll address).

A two minute drill is all about QB leadership, poise, accurate decision making, and correct reads, and finding what the defense gives you, especially in a West Coast scheme. Has George demonstrated any of those things during his career? I'd answer that "no".

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

I'll wait until I see what we have in the receiving corp before I decide on our 2-minute proficiency.

I think 2-minute drills are all about the guys catching the ball, whether they can go up and get it and "make plays."

If Westbrook is healthy (rolleyes.gif) and drawing double-coverage, either Lockett or eventually Gardner will have to develop to the point where George is comfortable looking their way.

If we get that ... I believe George is the kind of gunslinger tailor-made to at least scare the hell out of any D coordinator thinking about going "prevent."

Om

So you think defensively the team may not be up to the challenge, but offensively it is? I'm far from a George fan (I think it ranks up there with the Deion signing), but I believe he could throw a couple of balls and score very quickly.

I don't think so.

If we have been held to two field goals all day, you better believe George has let Westbrook and Lockette have it for not catching his perfectly thrown passes, and by now he'll be in the huddle sayin "Screw it. Everyone go long."

Just my opinion, but I think as long as George is our QB, we'll have to be ahead for most of the game or things will unravel offensively by the 59th minute.

Sorry frown.gif

------------------

Hail to the Redskins!

[edited.gif by Henry on June 07, 2001.]

Jacs, I thought the question was whether the offense could get it done in the crunch. My response is ... we have no idea sitting here today. (Hey, if the D only gives up 7, they're looking pretty good in this scenario too, aren't they? smile.gif )

Offense is about team work, confidence, continuity. We have a brand-spanking new one taking the field for first time this pre-season. New schemes, new coach, new wideouts (including a returning number one who missed essestially all of last year), even new guards.

What I'm suggesting is that we ought to wait and see what kind of chemistry George & the WR's develop (not to mention the O line and S. Davis) before we start projecting what kind of 2-minute drill they'll be able to muster.

And hey, let's not underestimate George's arm and ability to eat up yards in a hurry because his head is full of mush. I don't care if he's a complete a-hole if he gets the job done for a year or two, until Husak or whoever else steps up is ready.

(Geez, sorry about the tone. Maybe I swilled a bit too much caffeine this morning.)

[edited.gif by Om on June 07, 2001.]

I dunno, we were down 9 points to the Giants, with 8 minutes to play, and George marched us 97 yds downfield in 10 plays for a TD. The Giants tried both prevent and blitz, and neither rattled or stopped him.

We held the Giants, then with 3 minutes remaining we had the ball back on our 14. George then hit passes of 26 yds and 11 yds to Fryar and Connell, then a 14 yarder to Alexander.

The next pass was the bobble to Thrash that was ruled an incompletion. And then after only advancing 5 more yds, we had the ball on the 31 for the game winning FG try.

It seems to me that George did everything he could to give his team a chance to win, down 9 points, 8 minutes to go, and having to start drives on the 3 and 14 yd lines, in the face of a fierce Giant defense (One that took it's team to the show).

I aint worried about George.

[edited.gif by Terry on June 07, 2001.]

Big difference Terry. George was coming off the bench. The way George was playing it was likely we would have been ahead 21-9 had he played the entire game.

If George is THE MAN and its HIS offense that's stifled for 59 minutes, then that's another matter. He's already had it out with his WRs, Marty and Marty's various family members. He's calling his own plays in the huddle.

If ANYTHING is being underestimated right now, it's not George's million-dollar arm. It's his ten cent head. In 10 years he has not yet proven he can fight through adversity of any kind. At this point it will take more than a few 'rah rah, go team' interviews in the offseason to make me a believer.

Spotlight's on you one last time, Jeff. Prove me wrong.

------------------

Hail to the Redskins!

I'm with Henry on this one.

George has historically been a streaky QB. If he gets rattled, he rarely can find the groove later in the game. He's just never been the kind of QB who can put the last drive behind him, like an Elway or a Montana or a Marino. George hasn't shown the kind of toughness and persistance to become a clutch player, despite his considerable physical talent.

Redman is right -- the 2-minute drill begins and ends with your QB play. It takes patience, persistance, and presence of mind. I've never seen that kind of play from George on a consistant basis. I'd like to see it all click for him, but that's mostly wishful thinking.

I know George can be productive, and I think that maybe he can even be a winner, but it will take smart game-planning, a bit of psychology, an some luck to make it happen. It's not inconceivable, though.

Being the devil's advocate here for a moment, I clearly see that it is not likely and even if the whole team "strains' to get there, it's just not going to happen. I give my heart to this team, but as long as the mini-rebuild is in effect, it constitutes at least a year of continuity together first.

Too many side shows, thanks to one big, can also divert the

"positive" attention from the team, and send them into thinking about only money, watch out Hill. His cancer is far reaching, all the way from Cincinatti.

What the other side of this says is:

Bruce Smith's timing to "bring it all back into the right perspective" clearly shows he has no intentions of letting some jerk screw it up for everybody else, and has taken a personal and professional leadership role to hold those accountable to a commitment. His goal is a ring and then the records second. You can't fault him for his money and most of all he has restructered to accommodate those coming on board. So they better line up and thank him and get on the bandwagon baby!!! Tony, start putting that fresh coat of paint on baby. (You may be riding it all the way to the SB).

Of course our everloving prima dona knows darn well, that this is the only team, that is showing a better sign of replacing him adequately enough to not have the impact on the defensive backfield, that he had in San Francisco or Dallas. So the fact he's juking and jiving with his inevitable answer of "yes" he wants to be on THIS team, lets you know he met his match. smile.gif

O-Line against the top ten teams (Mookie plays at least 10% better than whoever he replaces, then 60% of those can fall with no major problem)

D-Line - In spite of the question mark at DT, and backups at DE, the fact that the only loss was the "weakest link" doesn't hurt as much. Should the DT be a step faster than

Stubbafield (they will smile.gif ) and at least weigh 20lbs more than Lang, let's hope, then the line may very well be a monster. Big Daddy IS impressing the coaches from the head to the line.

LBs - Thanks LaVar for the scare (thought at first you might be at the barbecue with Edgerrin James smile.gif ), Arrington, Mitchell, and Barber will be good enough and will compete with each other for the most "kills"

TE - Stephen Alexander doesn't knock down walls, but he still bust ba**s on the O-line, along with improved hands this year (Yoda (Jimmy Raye) will keep the Jedi mind tricks away from Stephen make some huge plays and scores).

CB - with or without you, with or without, I CAN live (U2)

if you keep your head on straight. This is a very critical area, with Smoot relishing it. He must be patient, watch Champ, Darrell and learn all that he can in the short span of time he will be given. Somewhere in the middle of the season, his playing time should increase.

Safety - My head says Marion with Shade, My Heart tells me

SURPRISE - Belser and Terrell. Of course it could even be

Marion and Terrell. Whatever, it is better than last year.

RB - Davis, Hill, and co. will be a top 5 rushing tangent once again.

WR - Gardner supplants Westbrook as the #1 receiver after game 5. It's no big deal to either, since a healthy Westbrook with Gardener spells double trouble throughout the league.

QB - Hey George fool me please. Husak is about to do something that will determine his career in the NFL.

Kicker - Conway - there's no place like home. Back on track with the love that kicked you out the door, now you can kick the team into a door that's been elusive.

ST - YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Touchdown and the opposing players are holding their ears so they don't have to hear the fight song once again! smile.gif

Make it exciting, play with team effort and yes it can happen.

Make it happen.

<FONT COLOR="Yellow">HTTR!!!</FONT c>

We aren't going to be held to 6 points this year. Bank on it. George's propensity for the deep ball will open up the underneath stuff and when Raye sees team seeking to take away the short stuff he'll let George go over the top. And WE may actually practice the two minute drill

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

[edited.gif by NavyDave on June 08, 2001.]

Archived