Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jones Agrees to Terms

Monkey

Jones may end up being a starter this season and figuring he got near the minimum, perhaps a little more, is good news for Redskins fans.

In Jones and Mason we now have veterans backing up (or starting) in the middle and on both outside slots.

Now we need to see some of the youngsters such as Sessions, Anthony, Nagle or Murphy emerge to fill the final 2 or 3 slots on the team at that position.

In my mind, we still need another offensive lineman, a successor to Carrier at safety and a backup defensive lineman that can come in and spell Smith and Coleman when needed.

There are a lot of teams out there with more significant holes to fill heading into training camp.

I am also led to understand we are in negotiations with B. Coleman.

For this year we do need a lineman to spell Smith and Coleman although if we find a DT, could we not move Lang back out to spell these guys? For long term, how about trying out Wadsworth?

I think we really got a true LB that could really compete for the starting job, they always say "he will compete for a starting job" about almost every FA just to make them happy.

I think we'll add a DL as we come closer to camp. It's not a top priority. We are signing players who add good depth and special teams. Any of our LBs can play solid SP, and our DBs also.

I think there are a couple other teams interested in Coleman. I think he favors the 'skins. Hopefully we can compensate him adequatly, probably by restructuring Shade's contract. What's up with Derrius Thompson? If he's not going to make the team get him and his salary outta here. What has been reported about his performance at camp? Norv was never really high on him.

Because of the 'rule of 51', each vet will actually cost about $300K against the cap (assuming vet minimums). I think we could do three without cutting or restructuring anyone. However, if we have to pay more than minimum for any of these guys, we will need to do some cuts and/or restructures.

The D line situation is funky. We see the need for a DT and to move Lang back to his natural position and have him back up/spell Coleman and Smith.

Marty sees him as a DT in rotation with Cowsette or whover, and likely will look for a DE (if anybody at all?)

Lang has really screwed us up. He was a mid 1st round pick as I remember, and right now should be hitting his stride as an every down DE.

Instead, we've been messing around with him for the past 3 years or so and he's failed to live up to his promise. Some of that is his own inconsistency, the rest is likely crappy defensive schemes.

Yet he has enough talent and can cover enough positions to keep you hanging on to him and to earn himself PT. He reminds me of Joe Patton in that respect.

Jones instead of Marts? Guess that Chef connection doesn t always work. When we sign Coleman I'll be very comfortable about our O line situaton. Now unless we think Mario Monds

can immdiately fill in as a DT. I'm not really thrilled with K Lang at DT on 1st down

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

Redskins fan for life, the order was reversed. The skins had the choice of Holmes or lang. Holmes went to the titans at #18. At the time Lang was taken as the skins thought he was the better run stuffer and had the potential to develop into a quality pass rusher. (I almost hate the word "potential after the Norv era.) Coming out of college Holmes was more of a pass rusher.

Lang was the second DE taken that year, behind Wadsworth. None of them has done anything spectacular, although Holmes does seem to have developed the best.

[edited.gif by Montilar on June 12, 2001.]

Archived