Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone familiar with Dream Theater?

grimreaper36

Was just wondering if anyone on the board was familiar with Dream Theater? They have become my favorite band over the past 7 years and I think they are one of the most talented bands around, but I seem to be one of the only people who knows of them in my area. Of course my "area" is just getting used to electricity too, lol.

I'd be a lot happier if they ditched the singer... ;)

I'd actually prefer Liquid Tension Experiment, which is almost Dream Theater minus James Lebrie. Well... different bassist, but you get the picture. I never liked their lyrics, but could appreciate the musicianship. In that sense, I'd almost rather listen to them as an instrumental band because they are a band I believe loses a little something when the singer comes in, especially live. You couldn't do "Pull Me Under" as an instrumental, though... ;)

Check out the new live DVD at Budokan. Cool stuff and tons of instrumental material. I'd just prefer them more if they were an instrumental band only... :2cents:

Nick

Great band...they're pretty much the top o' the heap for Prog Metal the past few years.

If you want to start to scratch beneath the surface though, check out some Ark, Spiral Architect or Leviathan (not the Black metal band). Those bands take the technicality to another extreme, while retaining the melodicism. Great stuff!

Originally posted by ntotoro

I'd be a lot happier if they ditched the singer... ;)

I'd actually prefer Liquid Tension Experiment, which is almost Dream Theater minus James Lebrie. Well... different bassist, but you get the picture. I never liked their lyrics, but could appreciate the musicianship. In that sense, I'd almost rather listen to them as an instrumental band because they are a band I believe loses a little something when the singer comes in, especially live. You couldn't do "Pull Me Under" as an instrumental, though... ;)

Check out the new live DVD at Budokan. Cool stuff and tons of instrumental material. I'd just prefer them more if they were an instrumental band only... :2cents:

Nick

Thanks for the DVD heads up. I appreciate their musicianship, but not enough of a fan to listen to the cd's. But I'd love to check out the DVD.

I originally felt that way about LaBrie, but his singing has grown on me. As far as live goes I just saw them in September and was suprised at how well he performed. He was hitting highs that he used to drop to a lower note in concert on. Anyway, since most of their songs are 8 minutes with 2 of that spent on vocals the majority of their stuff is instrumental. I plan to get the new DVD next week. Since the concert my girlfriend and I have been needing a "fix".

Originally posted by codeorama

Thanks for the DVD heads up. I appreciate their musicianship, but not enough of a fan to listen to the cd's. But I'd love to check out the DVD.

Cool. It's a cool disc, especially if you like the musicianship, because I'd guesstimate it's 75% instrumental. The audio and video are great, too, leagues better than the Ozzy @ Budokan disc.

Nick

Originally posted by mdg43

I originally felt that way about LaBrie, but his singing has grown on me. As far as live goes I just saw them in September and was suprised at how well he performed. He was hitting highs that he used to drop to a lower note in concert on. Anyway, since most of their songs are 8 minutes with 2 of that spent on vocals the majority of their stuff is instrumental. I plan to get the new DVD next week. Since the concert my girlfriend and I have been needing a "fix".

I saw them almost five years ago when they were at the 9:30 and played M2:SFAM in its entirety. The Dixie Dregs opened for them and were amazing. Seeing Steve More & John Petrucci literally back-to-back, you could see where John got a lot of his influence. I swear they both pick every single note... :laugh:

Nick

Seeing Steve More & John Petrucci literally back-to-back, you could see where John got a lot of his influence.

I was talking with the guy that runs their website and he said Morse and Petrucci are friends and have been working on a project together but have difficulty finding the time to get it completed.

BTW I'm a big Morse fan also, but I don't really think Deep Purple is the best place for him to showcase his talents.

Archived