Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and O-Line Observations

scstand

Hey All!

I've noticed alot of negative conversations about the inconsistencies of our O-line over the past couple of weeks, so I decided to post my observations. After spending about 4 hours breaking down the painful game film from Monday night I noticed a couple of things that made me go back and re-look at weeks 1 and 2.

Our O-Line for the most part have been creating lanes for Portis to run through, keep in mind Tampa and Dallas are solid with there front fours and CP is still learning how to be patient with the signature Gibbs runs. Several times, particularly on Monday night CP broke through the initial front and chose to cut back inside and gained some additional yardage, but had he chose to cut to the outside he had nothing but wide open field. I am all for CP following his blockers, but if he’s got room to the outside for a potential homerun he needs to react to that.

Our pass blocking has not been as terrible as the 9 sacks allowed show. Our breakdowns seem to occur when the defense send there blitz packages to the side CP is on causing him to stay in and block versus releasing into a check down route. A few screens in my opinion would rectify this problem and keep the ball in the hands of a playmaker. We have ran only one screen to Portis in 3 games, which was intercepted against the Giants if memory serves me correctly. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

:dallasuck

Archived