Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5-2

Joeythetapeworm

Even though you're trying to call it a 5-2 it's pretty much still a 4-3 due to the personnel. Remember though in a lot of the alignments using the 4-3 personnel at least 1 linebacker will move up to the line and give a 5-2 look even if he isn't in a 3-point stance. I think that's the reason you'll never see a true 5-2 is the lack of flexibility outside of a goalline formation.

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

Isn't what I'm describing closer to 3-4 than 4-3?

It is because you simply have 3 D-linemen, and 4 LB's, however; how your describing using them would be closer to a 4-3 (at least in my minds eye) Even if, Washington and Arrington both put there hands on the ground I would still see them hiding a blitzer, and line coverages.

The 5-2 has two outside linebackers lined up capping the tackles on either side. The LBs are upright and not in a down stance. I think we used that formation several times last week, but modified.

When Barrow returns it might be worth a look at Pierce and Barrow in the middle with LA and MW capping the tackles. The obvious strenght of our team is at LB right now.

Archived