Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Calyton chat

mhd24

Inside the NFL with John Clayton!

Welcome to The Show! Every Thursday ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton will drop by to talk about the NFL's biggest games and hottest stories. Send your questions now and join The Show on Thursday at Noon ET!

Buzzmaster: (11:59 AM ET ) OK, Clayton will be here any second .. hang tight..

John Clayton: (12:01 PM ET ) Welcome! Can't wait for the season to get started. It's going to be a lot of fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wojo (Detroit): Fact or Fiction, The Patriots go undefeated at home again this year?

John Clayton: (12:02 PM ET ) I'd say fiction. As much talent as they have to win say 13 games this year, it's hard to be perfect at home. It's not out of the question they could lost tonight although the odds favor them winning. It hink 6-2 or 7-1 at home. It's tough for Super Bowl teams to repeat anything and maintain that consistency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James (Marshall, Texas): Almost everyone picks the Vikings to win the NFC North, isn't it more likely that they implode like they have so many times in recent memory?

John Clayton: (12:03 PM ET ) I don't think they will. I think Tice learned valuable lessons last season after the 6-0 start. He learned you can't have as many padded practices into the season. He lightened up the practices at the end and they got their second win and made a pretty good late season run. This lesson and a talented defense should lead to a team that, on paper, is better than the Packers.

Bryan (Lawrence, KS): Professor, is Domanick Davis the real deal or just another decnt back?

John Clayton: (12:04 PM ET ) If you define real deal as a potential 1,200 yard guy, yeah, he's the real deal. Maybe not 1,400 but I think he's pretty good. He seems to be a bit wider with muscle last year which should help his durablity. He hits the hole well. I think they found a good one in him.

ronk (woodbridge VA): when the axe falls in miami, who goes...wannstedt, spielman or both?

John Clayton: (12:06 PM ET ) If they do make a change it's more like to be Wanndstedt. Spielman got an extension with more years and power. But it will be a tough decision. It's not out of the question to have a clean sweep in the front office But Huizenga hates change in football. He probably will be willing to give a pass for this season. Fans and critics of the team probably won't. If they don't make the playoffs, Wanndstedt is in trouble.

Charlie McMinnville WG: what do you think of the addition of lamar gordon do you think he will be the starter anytime soon?

John Clayton: (12:07 PM ET ) I like the addition. I think he could start as early as Week 2. Probably too late to come in now and pick up the knowledge to start Sunday. Couple that with the possiblity they may move the game up to Sat. because of the hurricane. Just too much on his plate to start. Probably get some playing time though to build up to starting the next week. He's a big back with speed and hits the hole well. Probably the best they can do to fix the RB situation. In my eyes, he's better than Anthony Thomas who they were willing to give a third round choice to acquire.

Guff (Center of the Universe): Who gets traded? Brees or Flutie?

John Clayton: (12:08 PM ET ) Neither at this state. Flutie would be the more likely of the two. But the fact the Pats have the Thursday game, killed any chance of him coming in past Mondy and going anything with the Pats as a backup. He has a $300,000 bonus due at the end of the week. If they pay it, he'll probably stay. Brees would have the interest of the Colts but his base salary is too high. That option is out. For the moment, they are stuck with 4 QBs.

Dan (Minneapolis,MN): Is philadelphia overated? is there defense gonna be able to stop cover anyone with the losses of vincent,taylor

John Clayton: (12:10 PM ET ) They are not overrated into the relationship of other teams in the NFC. You could argue the NFC is overrated but right now it's hard to find a better team in the NFC. I agree, they don't show great consistency in stopping the run. A lot of the top teams in the NFC have similar traits. Remember, last year Seattle made the playoffs ranking 19th on defense. The Eagles were 20th and Minnesota who most including myself will win the division, finished 23rd. The Eagles look to me to be the best team in the conference.

Bleto (Tampa): How many years does Joe Gibbs get to prove he can still get the job done? And is Clinton Portis still the stud he should be with the loss of Jansen?

John Clayton: (12:11 PM ET ) Daniel Snyder will give him an eternity to try and do the job. But if you look at the contracts, it's a 2 year fix. After 2 years, they have to make some big decisions. If he is happy, he will stay. If he sees a rebuilding process, he may leave.

DJ (Vancouver, BC): How much of an improvement can we see from the seahawks defense considering their LB crew is paper thin?

John Clayton: (12:13 PM ET ) I think they will be better just from the standpoint they are stouter in the middle of the line. They will have better pass rush with Wistorom on the outside and Chike Okeafor. Their secondary is really talented. I think they will struggle early and by midseason become a 15th ranked defense or a little better.

Jack (boringville): Whats with the SeaHawks bandwagon? Isnt the Vikes D better than theirs now? We know the offense is...

John Clayton: (12:14 PM ET ) If it is better, it's not by much. But both defenses are improved. In many ways, these teams are comparable. High powered offense with QBs on the rise, rec. talent that is getting better, both teams should win the division. I think the Vikes may have done more in personnel to help their defense but they still have to come together on the field. Seattle may have more backups in case of injury. The Vikes are 'paper thin' for experienced backups.

Chuck (Memphis): Does Mike McKenzie have any valid arguements against the Packers? No one forced him to sign that contract. What is the drop dead point for him to show up and still have a year come off the contract?

John Clayton: (12:16 PM ET ) I don't know if anyone understands McKenzie's position. They were willing to elimiate the deescalator in his contact so that's not an issue. His contract back then was adaquate. Because it is now outdated is more his fault. Why should he care about Lionel Washington's position as a coach because he got a significant raise? McKenzie's position is unexplainable. He needs to get in by Week 10 so he is not ineligible for this season. If he comes in after that, he has lost a year and has the same contract.

Steve Mac (Kansas City, MO): Will Denver have a 1,000 yard rusher this year?

John Clayton: (12:17 PM ET ) Yeah, Quentin Griffin will easily surpass 1,000 if he stays healthy. He is a good back for that offense. He reads the outside zone rushing plays well. He can handle 16-20 carries a game. Shanahan knew that when they traded Portis. While he may have surrenedered a 1,500 yard back he knew he had a 1,200 yard guy in Griffin.

Mark (Denver): With the emphasis on the 5 yard chuck rule, wont we see the same emphasis on offensive holding, doesnt the offense have to abide by the same rule(s)

John Clayton: (12:19 PM ET ) They do, but that holding part has not gotten out of control as much as the holding by DBs on receivers. It could be argued holding could be called on every play. There should be no increase in holding by offense. There should be a 3 fold increase in illeg. contact and 2 fold increase in defensive pass interference.

Hooch Louisville, KY: Hello John, Will Deuce be as affective as last seson in the new two tight-end scheme by the Saints?

John Clayton: (12:20 PM ET ) Oh yeah. He will only get better. He's still a player on the rise. McAllister loses 2 pounds a year to maintain his quickness. He's still a big back, plays will open up for him even more if Stallworth can stay healthy and be a consistent deep threat for 16 games. McAllister has the type of ability that maybe once in his career he can gain 2,000 yards.

Chris (Milwaukee Wis.): Is there any reason to be excited about the Packers defense? Their offense will be fine, but how about their D?

John Clayton: (12:22 PM ET ) The exciting part could be how aggressive they are. Bob Slowik is bringing in a combo. of the Eagles blitzing scheme and the versatility of the Pats D. That means Sharper will have a Brian Dawkins type season which is exciting to watch. They should be near the top as far as sacks and turnovers. They will struggle with Grady Jackson is off the field trying to stop the run. Any injury to Jackson could have a major affect on this defense.

Matt (Dayton): Even if Garcia can stay healthy in Cleveland behind that weak lin,don't you think that the cold weather up there will slow him down? Who dey!

John Clayton: (12:23 PM ET ) It could have some affect but the bigger question is can he stay healthy enough to last through the cold weather. His game is running out of the pocket and making plays. If the OL is as bad as people think, he will have trouble getting out of the pocket. I think he will have a lot of difficulty period this year. This isn't a very good team and even though he can maybe add 2 wins to the ledger, his value diminishes if he is banged up by Week 3.

Richie (Pittsburgh): What do you think about the Steelers chances this year. They looked solid this preseason and if the can get the run going, they can surely get back to the form of 3 years ago

John Clayton: (12:25 PM ET ) I think they are well on their way but their drawback is coverage in the secondary. I've upgraded my expectations for the Steelers. I like how the front 7 stops the run. I think Russ Grimm is running schemes that are exceptional. I see them about 8th in the AFC which has them knocking on the door to the playoffs. But i matchups against good passing teams, they will have some difficulty.

josh ca: john what is the best case senerio for the 49ers this season? Also please tell me this will be Ericksons last season and the 49ers?

John Clayton: (12:27 PM ET ) I'd say 6 wins. After looking at them in preseason, I thought maybe they were the best of the worst teams. I like some of the guys on the OL and they have speed. But that DL is THIN. Once you get past the starters, they are really thin. You can see where the wear and tear is going to be on this team. But they should win 6 with good coaching from Erickson.

Chris, CT: Hi John, I'm one of the few Giants fans who think they have a chance to really surprise some people this year. What do you think? I think we have a shot this week against an overrated Philadelphia team.

John Clayton: (12:28 PM ET ) I agree with you that you are one of the few fans! I don't see it. They are challenged on the OL, they are patching a lot of spots in the front 7 on defense .. you could see the strain on Coughlins face this preseason. It will be a strain to get to 7 wins and I think they will fall short.

DeWayne (Portland TN): How will the league handle the Titans/Dolphins game if Ivan hits Florida? Postpone or change of venue?

John Clayton: (12:31 PM ET ) I just talked to the Titans moments ago. They have no idea at this stage. They are considering moving the game to Sat. There is legitimate concern about having the Titans trapped in a bad situation. A decision has to be made today. If they play Sat., they would have to fly tomorrow. They are watching the weather channel just like everyone else. Hurricane Ivan will dictate when the game is played. There are many execs in Miami without power and they are facing a Hurricane that might even be more intense.

Thanks as always for the great questions and interest in the NFL. This should be a fun season with more offense. Just be patient watching all the penalty flags fly!

Take care!

JOIN THE CHAT

Archived