Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indy Star: Irsay says Colts can afford to keep James, Harrison........

TC4

Team owner Jim Irsay says the Colts can keep both WR Marvin Harrison and RB Edgerrin James who are both UFAs after 2004, but as this article from the Indianapolis Star says, at what cost:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/176966-8806-036.html

Irsay: Colts can afford to keep James, Harrison

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

September 8, 2004

image-176966-1395.jpg

Edgerrin James (left) has led the NFL in rushing twice and Marvin Harrison is the Colts' career receiving leader. -- Sam Riche / The Star

The prevailing notion is that after the 2004 season, free agency and the NFL's salary cap will force a breakup of the Indianapolis Colts' vaunted "Triplets" -- quarterback Peyton Manning, wide receiver Marvin Harrison and running back Edgerrin James.

It's a notion that's not endorsed by the only person who really matters.

Owner Jim Irsay secured Manning for the long term in March, signing him to a seven-year, $98 million contract that included a record $34.5 million signing bonus. He's willing to invest further in Harrison and James, each of whom will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

"I definitely think we can bring them both back next year," Irsay said Tuesday before departing for Boston for his team's Thursday night opener against Super Bowl champion New England.

How can he afford Harrison, the team's five-time Pro Bowl selection and career receiving leader, and James, a two-time league rushing champ and the club's career rushing leader?

"I can," Irsay said. "Sometimes what is not viewed as the wisest short-term investment because it's an enormous amount of cash, you view as an owner as a long-term investment that's wise.

"We will continue to move forward with that type of idea in mind."

The Colts have yet to open discussions with representatives for Harrison or James.

"With free agency, people don't want to do something early," Irsay said.

Hypothetically, the Colts don't have to sign both Harrison and James to long-term contracts. They can reach agreement with one, and use the "franchise tag" on the other. The franchise tag binds a player to his team for one season.

A problem would arise if negotiations failed to produce a contract for either player. Then, the team would be forced to choose between two offensive cornerstones for franchise designation.

Irsay wouldn't discuss that possibility.

James won't be preoccupied with where he might play in 2005 while he's playing for the Colts in '04.

"I don't worry about stuff like that," he said during the summer. "If a team wants you, they find a way to keep you. It can be done. It's a matter of what they want to do."

James and Harrison are the most noticeable free-agents-to-be for the Colts, but the list is long. Others include right tackle Ryan Diem, left guard Rick DeMulling, linebacker Rob Morris, free safety Idrees Bashir, cornerback Nick Harper and backup running back Dominic Rhodes.

The team also faces decisions on tight end Marcus Pollard and wide receiver Brandon Stokley. Each will carry exorbitant salary-cap numbers in 2005.

How those players perform this season obviously will affect personnel decisions in the offseason. If the personnel staff determines it's in the best interest of the team to re-sign two, three or six of those players, Irsay said he will write the necessary checks.

"It's not about paying," he said. "It's about what gives you the best chance and how you pay.

"It's always hard, particularly in this era of free agency and the salary cap, but I think we can keep this team together. When you have some cornerstones in place in your organization -- the quarterback, the offensive line, the pass rusher (Dwight Freeney) -- you are able to sustain excellence."

The Colts have earned a playoff berth in four of the past five seasons. No team has gone 5-for-5. The only teams that match the Colts' recent success at reaching the postseason are Tennessee, St. Louis, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay.

Irsay expects more of the same.

"When you have a team that's young like ours and most of it returning and you see how far you went (last year), your goals are set very high," he said. "At the same time, you just don't know what's going to happen.

"Certainly if we stay healthy, I think we have the kind of football team that can win that Lombardi Trophy (in the Super Bowl)."

The Colts gave up 55 points and 750+ yards in their last two playoff games. It's difficult to see how investing so heavily in three offensive players will solve that problem.

The triplets have been intact for 5 straight seasons and have remained unable to bring the Colts to the promised land. Marvin Harrison may be HOF bound, but bestowing a 33-year old (next year) with a massive signing bonus has never been good cap policy. And James is a fantastic RB when healthy - but he hasn't played out a full season in the last 3 years, and in 2 of those 3 years, he failed to break 1000 yards. Anyone remember Dom Rhodes?

It's understandable that life after Manning/Harrison/Edge is a scary proposition for the Colts, and it also creates a PR dilemma to boot. But leveraging the future for these players doesn't look like the answer. I'd tag Edge and trade him to the Dolphins for a 1st rounder in a Peerless Price style trade. Harrison is old, but I'd bite the bullet and keep him around as a target for Manning - he's not nearly as easily replaced.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

The Colts gave up 55 points and 750+ yards in their last two playoff games. It's difficult to see how investing so heavily in three offensive players will solve that problem.

The triplets have been intact for 5 straight seasons and have remained unable to bring the Colts to the promised land. Marvin Harrison may be HOF bound, but bestowing a 33-year old (next year) with a massive signing bonus has never been good cap policy. And James is a fantastic RB when healthy - but he hasn't played out a full season in the last 3 years, and in 2 of those 3 years, he failed to break 1000 yards. Anyone remember Dom Rhodes?

It's understandable that life after Manning/Harrison/Edge is a scary proposition for the Colts, and it also creates a PR dilemma to boot. But leveraging the future for these players doesn't look like the answer. I'd tag Edge and trade him to the Dolphins for a 1st rounder in a Peerless Price style trade. Harrison is old, but I'd bite the bullet and keep him around as a target for Manning - he's not nearly as easily replaced.

I agree with all of what you said there Flow with one expection, the part about tagging James and trading him to the Dolphins or someone else for a 1st rounder.

The Colts had the 28th overall pick in the 1st round this past draft and traded down lower, and some of the speculation was that they made that move because after Manning's new deal, the Colts didn't have the cap room to sign a player drafted in the 1st round, even one as low as 28th overall.

So if that is the case, how can they draft TWO 1st rounders next season? And with all the mess that the Dolphins have had this offseason, there is a good chance that the Dolphins 1st rounder could be a top 15, maybe even a top 10 pick in the 2005 NFL Draft

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Has Marvin Harrison been around that long that he is going to be 33 next year?

If so... damn. Just seems like yesterday he was at Cuse

Originally posted by TC4

I agree with all of what you said there Flow with one expection, the part about tagging James and trading him to the Dolphins or someone else for a 1st rounder.

The Colts had the 28th overall pick in the 1st round this past draft and traded down lower, and some of the speculation was that they made that move because after Manning's new deal, the Colts didn't have the cap room to sign a player drafted in the 1st round, even one as low as 28th overall.

So if that is the case, how can they draft TWO 1st rounders next season? And with all the mess that the Dolphins have had this offseason, there is a good chance that the Dolphins 1st rounder could be a top 15, maybe even a top 10 pick in the 2005 NFL Draft

You're point is fair, but signing the #15 player ($6M bonus and $1.25M first year cap hit based on Michael Clayton) is still more prudent than signing an injury-prone Edge to a $15M signing bonus. Also, they can always trade down further to stockpile even more defensive picks if they so choose.

Faced with the alternative of breaking the bank for both Edge and Harrison, letting Edge walk for nothing, and investing a reasonable amount of money in a nice mid-first round defensive prospect - I'd opt for the latter.

Archived