Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freak's Peek

freakofthesouth

Let's start by stating the obvious: preseason football. Who plays in the regular season is determined here, as well as determining just how aggressive, for example, a defense can be.

Greg Williams, a defensive mastermind, knows football. Moreover, he knows his players. He has stated how important it is for his secondary to get burnt, so they can know their limitiations. As luck would have it, it happened in preseason first.

As already mentioned, this team, strictly from its coaching, will work off of a loss like this, much like the Rams did after last week's loss to KC. They will not fall apart; they will come together.

So, here are some other bright spots, and not-so-bright-spots...

Jacobs. He played a little bit last night. He had a fantastic 40+ yd catch, but failed to maintain control of the football. He then had another 30 yd'er that was negated by a holding penalty.

Pass protection. From what I saw, the QB stayed on his feet, even if that meant leaving in so many guys to max protect. Good protection though, from what I saw.

Rock. What is happeneing here? I am not a fan of him right now, w/ all due respect to Blondie. He seems very hesitant to the hole, and doesn't seem to be breaking too many tackles. I would say he is more of a short-yardage runner, but maybe that weight he dropped in the offseason has proven to be a detriment.

Ramsey. Poor, battered Ramsey. Though he doesn't look nearly as jittery, he has been al least partially spoiled by Spurrier's inability to protect his QB. I remember he had cold eyes, and could find an open reciever frequently. Now, he just seems completely inaccurate, and worried about the hit that isn't even coming.

Taylor. Obvious bright spot of the secondary; he has fantastic instincts, and was pretty impressive, particularly on his pic.

2 dropped INTs. Clemons (50?) and Springs, both dropped sure-fire INTs that would have done a lot for MOMENTUM, something that goes overlooked (talk about this in a second). How can a defensive player afford, particularly against the Rams, at home, to drop INTs? That is terrible.

To tie it all in, momentum is the word here. St Louis had it after the first TD, particularly playing at home. All it takes is this: The defense looks OK, and can hold their ground for awhile. But, try to start a QB that has not grasped the offense, and cannot successfully put drives together, and we will quickly find a defense that is tired, and overplayed. What happens when a tired, yet aggressive defense is on the field too long? Last night happens.

My point here is, all things from the team tie into this loss, as Gibbs mentioned. All things created this loss, and the loss of momentum in the game. And that leads me to believe that if Gibbs takes resposibility for this game, and his players, which he already has, then they will simply rebound successfully next week. And it couldn't come at a better time.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

2 dropped INTs. Clemons (50?) and Springs, both dropped sure-fire INTs that would have done a lot for MOMENTUM, something that goes overlooked (talk about this in a second). How can a defensive player afford, particularly against the Rams, at home, to drop INTs? That is terrible.

I forgot about that...now I'm P.O'd

That would've changed the enitire game...heck we might've scored once at least.

I really dont understand why Ramsey isn't looking that good in preseason. He did pretty well last season despite being hit all the time, and this year he cant seem to get anything going. Him and Coles had a rapidly growing duo last year, and helped Coles get to the pro bowl. Now it seems like there is nothing happening wiht any of his receivers.

Archived