Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: New QB, New TE, Same Result for Browns

jimster

New Quarterback, Tight End, Same Result for Browns

Aug 16, 9:07 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JOE MILICIA

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - All the changes the Cleveland Browns made in the offseason - from their front office to their roster - didn't change the way they played in their first preseason game.

Quarterback Jeff Garcia looked like Tim Couch, getting sacked on two out of the first three plays. Penalties killed any momentum the Browns had on offense and the defense gave up big plays.

Just like last season.

"We know we stunk it up on Saturday. We have to get better," wide receiver Dennis Northcutt said.

Kellen Winslow Jr.'s most notable play in his debut was a personal foul for shoving Titans safety Lamont Thompson.

The fiery Winslow was at it again in practice Monday.

After catching a pass during a non-contact drill, Winslow turned upfield and lowered his left shoulder into defensive back Roosevelt Williams, slamming him to the ground.

"I think it was very unprofessional," Williams said. "Everybody has a passion for the game. They want to go hard and go fast. I do too. For him to lower his shoulder on me ... we're in Cover 2. I see him before he sees me. I just laid down and waited there."

The Browns would not make Winslow available to reporters after practice.

"I don't think he intentionally zeroed out Roosevelt Williams and attacked his manhood," Browns coach Butch Davis said. "I think he was just practicing fast and just surprised Roosevelt a little bit."

Northcutt said Winslow is young and just needs to learn how to practice.

Defensive lineman Gerard Warren also seemed to defend the rookie tight end.

"When I'm on the field, you're not going to see me get thrown on the ground and slammed down because somebody else is going harder than I am. ... In that case, I guess Roosevelt just might have been going through the motions," Warren said.

One of the Browns' few bright spots against Tennessee was the running game. But they had a tough time running to the left side of the line.

Davis has responded by naming yet another starter at left guard. First it was Chad Beasley, then Enoch DeMar, who started the Tennessee game. Now, Paul Zukauskas will start Saturday against Detroit.

Zukauskas, who started 10 games at right guard last season, said it's critical for him to take advantage of the opportunity.

"Anytime you get that chance and you're in your fourth year, you've really got to take it and run, or you could see yourself out of the NFL," he said.

Zukauskas, at 325 pounds, is bigger than in past seasons. He said he knows the main thing he needs to show Saturday is consistency. He's confident Garcia won't get dropped quickly for two sacks again.

"This is by far the best offense we've had and as far as the offensive line, it's by far the best we've had," he said.

The Browns' defense allowed Titans running back Chris Brown - who was making his first start - to average 7.7 yards per carry. They also played "horrible" on pass defense by Davis' estimation.

Safety Earl Little said there's no confidence lost.

"It was just a preseason game," he said. "Right now we're 0-0 no matter how people look at it and write about it."

Archived