Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone looking for a reasonably priced run stopping DT?

Zen-like Todd

Goose not totally cooked: Don't bet the mortgage yet that Baltimore Ravens mammoth defensive tackle Tony Siragusa, who announced Thursday afternoon that he will retire at the end of the season, will never return to the league. Sources close to Siragusa told ESPN.com that, while the 12-year veteran cited his recent injuries as one reason for departing the game, he actually doesn't feel that bad physically and has told friends he feels he can play another couple years.

"If someone came along and, say, offered him $4 million or $5 million (total) for two seasons, I really think the 'Goose' would be tempted by it," said one Siragusa confidant. What occurred, in part, is that Ravens officials told Siragusa the cap-strapped franchise probably could not afford him in 2002. Hearing that he might be released, Siragusa instead did the honorable thing, and "retired."

The Ravens are about $21 million over the projected 2002 salary cap limit of $71.8 million. Siragusa carried a cap charge of $4.167 million for 2002 and $4.667 million for 2003. Team officials acknowledge there will be some significant belt-tightening next season, and the departure of Siragusa won't be the last of the changes, maybe not even the last on the defensive line, where end Rob Burnett ($5.025 million cap charge) could be ousted in favor of the younger and cheaper Adalius Thomas. Tackle Sam Adams, who has a cap charge of $8.058 million, will have to restructure his deal, as will middle linebacker Ray Lewis ($8.467 million), offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden ($8.521 million), and tight end Shannon Sharpe ($4.625 million). There is no guarantee that free safety Rod Woodson ($3.7 million), whose selection to the Pro Bowl squad accentuates the lack of quality in the AFC at that position, will be back.

No, how about a pass rushing DE?

Incentive clauses: New York Giants star Michael Strahan, who needs just one sack against Green Bay on Sunday to establish a new league record, isn't the only standout pass rusher in the league angling for one more key quarterback kill. Hugh Douglas of Philadelphia, who has just two sacks in the last seven games, can void the 2003 season of his current contract with one sack in Sunday night's game at Tampa Bay. Douglas has 9½ sacks, and his contract stipulates that if he gets 10½, the final season of his deal disappears.

"It's a big deal, because it would allow me to go into the free agent market, or force them to negotiate with me, a full year earlier," Douglas said. The seven-year veteran is scheduled to earn a $4.1 million base salary in 2002 and a base of $5 million for the '03 campaign.

New Orleans defensive end Joe Johnson was working with a similar situation this year. He reached enough predetermined performance benchmarks to void out his contract and is now eligible for unrestricted free agency in two months.

From Len's big bag of news....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1305569.html

[edited.gif by TheChosenOne on January 05, 2002.]

Ah-ha! You heard it from me first! Check down the page, my Tona Siragusa thread is there.

Anywho, I'd love to have Siragusa. He looks like he could still play, although I don't want to give him big money only to have him sitting on the bench with ice on his knee.

At 34, I would pass on Siragusa. His weight has given him chronic knee problems and he seems to be winding it up, despite his interest in playing another year or so.

$4-$5 million is too much for a two year deal with him. If we did sign him it would have to be incentive based with number of starts being a primary escalator.

Hugh Douglas is a good football player, but he is a better rusher and run defender. Teams have run on the Eagles some this year and the size of their linemen is a singificant factor.

If I had my druthers I would go after Joe Johnson who is a good two-way player for New Orleans. He suffered a serious injury and missed the entire 2000 season but is rounding back into form.

Archived