Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Super Fights?

tkatz

I posted a thread about possible boxing super fights awhile ago but a lot has changed in the world of boxing since then. I feel as though there are a few possible blockbuster fights out there that I would love to see.

Bernard Hopkins vs. James Toney

Hopkins has a lot of options because there are several big money fights out there for him. He could fight Tyson, Trinidad, possibly Jones Jr. or Tarver but I feel this fight in perticular has potential for greatness. Although Hopkins would have to move up in weight class (or toney move down) both of these fighters are at their best. They both getting up there in age but have had stellar careers and this would be a slug fest.

Predicted Winner: Bernard Hopkins

Felix Trinidad vs. Shane Mosely

Shane is certainly not the fighter he once was. He has suffered defeats to Vernon Forrest (twice) and recently Winky Wright. He is in the stages of rebuilding his career and a fight against Trinidad would be huge for boxing. Although Trinidad has an upcoming fight with Mayorga I think that a Mosely/Trinidad would attract a lot of people and a lot of attention. I could see it being a very technical bout.

Predicted Winner: Shane Mosely

Antonio Tarver or Roy Jones Jr. vs. Mike Tyson

I personally would like to see Tarver against Jones one more time to see who really is the better fighter. Either way the winner of that fight should battle Tyson. I would love to see these guys clash b/c Tarver has tremendous heart, Jones is one of the bet fighters of all time, and Tyson is still as marketable and crazy as ever.

Predicted Winner: Antonio Tarver (both fights)

Which fights would you guys like to see and why?

Originally posted by tkatz

I posted a thread about possible boxing super fights awhile ago but a lot has changed in the world of boxing since then. I feel as though there are a few possible blockbuster fights out there that I would love to see.

Hopkins has a lot of options because there are several big money fights out there for him. He could fight Tyson, Trinidad, possibly Jones Jr. or Tarver but I feel this fight in perticular has potential for greatness. Although Hopkins would have to move up in weight class (or toney move down) both of these fighters are at their best. They both getting up there in age but have had stellar careers and this would be a slug fest.

Shane is certainly not the fighter he once was. He has suffered defeats to Vernon Forrest (twice) and recently Winky Wright. He is in the stages of rebuilding his career and a fight against Trinidad would be huge for boxing. Although Trinidad has an upcoming fight with Mayorga I think that a Mosely/Trinidad would attract a lot of people and a lot of attention. I could see it being a very technical bout.

I personally would like to see Tarver against Jones one more time to see who really is the better fighter. Either way the winner of that fight should battle Tyson. I would love to see these guys clash b/c Tarver has tremendous heart, Jones is one of the bet fighters of all time, and Tyson is still as marketable and crazy as ever.

Tyson would maul Tarver. I don't care how far past his prime he is, Tyson is still a pitbull. Neither Tarver or Jones have the punching power to stay in the ring with him. Nor do they have the reach, which has been Tyson's only real weakness throughout his career. He still punches harder than anyone else in boxing, and I can't envision either of them lasting 12 rounds with him, let alone beating him.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

Tyson would maul Tarver. I don't care how far past his prime he is, Tyson is still a pitbull. Neither Tarver or Jones have the punching power to stay in the ring with him. Nor do they have the reach, which has been Tyson's only real weakness throughout his career. He still punches harder than anyone else in boxing, and I can't envision either of them lasting 12 rounds with him, let alone beating him.

I believe Tarver has the ability to beat Tyson. If Tarver can establish his jab and keep Tyson at a distance he would have a chance. Make Tyson chase him around the ring and let Tarver dictate the fight. Tyson has been out of shape the last few fights and I do believe Tarvers heart would allow him to prevail. But I do agree that if Tyson were to catch him with a good punch it would be over.

Trinidad would kill Mosley... It would be just like Trinidad vs Joppy...

Tyson would KILL Tarver within 2rds...Roy would be a different story though, sometimes styles makes fights.

Hopkins vs Toney is a tough one, could go either way...Depends a lot on at what weight they would fight.

I'd like to see these fights too

I believe Tarver has the ability to beat Tyson. If Tarver can establish his jab and keep Tyson at a distance he would have a chance. Make Tyson chase him around the ring and let Tarver dictate the fight. Tyson has been out of shape the last few fights and I do believe Tarvers heart would allow him to prevail. But I do agree that if Tyson were to catch him with a good punch it would be over.

Thing is, you don't beat Tyson be going backwards...Tarver would be KILLED.

:doh:

Come on man be serious.....at 158 how is bernard going to fight a 210 pound James Toney....Toney is not losing weight for nobody......Shane Moseley vs Trinidad....look I am a solid Shane Moseley fan but at 160 or 154 Shane is not effective, if he wants a Super fight he needs to go back down to 147 and fight Mayweather. As for as the Jones Tarver, Tyson issue I not even going there cause I have already argued on that topic in other forums. By the way I know you didnt say any thing about Bernard/Oscar but that will be a mauling....also Mayorga/Trinidad will be awesome. Just my :2cents:

When Evander Holyfield fought Tyson and won he backed up, played defense, picked his shots carefully, and slowly but tactfully dismantled Tyson with counter punches. I surmize that Tarver would have a chance of doing the same thing.

Yeah, I think Oscar is going to get wrecked by Hopkins. And I think Mayorga is going to be beat up bad by Trinidad.

Smashmof is right....James Toney moved up for 2 reasons: that's where the money is; and because he c ould barely make weight as a middie, supermiddie, lt heavy or cruiser.

As to Hopkins v.Tyson, that is insane. Hopkins' walking around weight is 180, tops.Giving up 50 pounds to Tyson is a non starter. Yes, he can DEFINITELY outbox Tyson. But in close Hopkins is one Tyson uppercut ( a perennial Tyson favorite) away from the canvas. And at arms length, one right hook away from night -night ( the Frans Botha ko punch).

Tarver vs Tyson. Tyson in two rounds.

Toney is to big for Hopkins, it wouldn't even be close.

Shane and Trinidad. That's a tough one. I think Tito in a close decision.

Here's the superfights I'd like to see.

Roy Jones vs Bernard Hopkins

Oscar DLH vs Floyd Mayweather

Arturro Gatti vs Fernando Vargas

Im a huge Toney fan and i'm a huge Hopkins fan. I think that'd be a good fight but Hopkins would be biting off more than he can chew. Hopkins is the better boxer but Toney is just too big as someone said above. But I think it would be close because Toney is a fighter that will give rounds away. And Hopkins has a great chin, it's possible he could take Toney's punches. I think it'd probably goto decision and I'd favor Toney because he'd hurt Hopkins more. But it's possible Hopkins could steal a decision. That would be AMAZING if Hopkins was able to move up 30 pounds to cruiserweight and beat one of the greatest fighters of this era.

Originally posted by atlhawksfan

Im a huge Toney fan and i'm a huge Hopkins fan. I think that'd be a good fight but Hopkins would be biting off more than he can chew. Hopkins is the better boxer but Toney is just too big as someone said above. But I think it would be close because Toney is a fighter that will give rounds away. And Hopkins has a great chin, it's possible he could take Toney's punches. I think it'd probably goto decision and I'd favor Toney because he'd hurt Hopkins more. But it's possible Hopkins could steal a decision. That would be AMAZING if Hopkins was able to move up 30 pounds to cruiserweight and beat one of the greatest fighters of this era.

Hopkins doesn't need to fight Toney. It's too big of a risk.

If he beats DLH, he should then fight Roy Jones. If he beats both of those fighters then I think it solidifies him as maybe the best P4P fighter of his era.:2cents:

Yeah, the Roy Jones fight just isn't going to happen though. I think he'll definitely beat De La Hoya. And I agree that fighting James Toney would be too big of a risk, it's just not a smart fight to take. Especially when there's some pretty big names fighting around 160 anyway.

From 126-140 lbs, there are outstanding potential matchups. Too many to list. Here are what I believe would be the best matchups in a few of the other divisions.

Heavyweight: The fight here is James Toney vs. Vitali. These two are the best in the division. I would take Toney over any heavyweight right now.

Middleweight: Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermaine Taylor. This is the fight I want to see and it needs to happen soon. Many would say Taylor is too inexperienced but I guarantee Hopkins would not be able to outpoint him. No fighter in this weight range has better skills than Taylor. He is the only one with a legitimate shot at upsetting Hopkins.

Superwelter- Mayorga vs. Vargas. Street fight. Enough said.

I'm all for Tarver getting a big payday but I am not really interested in seeing him fight anybody. Roy is yesterday's news and at this point I don't see any fight with Tyson as a superfight. If he fights anyone with actual skills and a decent chin he loses.

When Evander Holyfield fought Tyson and won he backed up, played defense, picked his shots carefully, and slowly but tactfully dismantled Tyson with counter punches. I surmize that Tarver would have a chance of doing the same thing.

Yeah, I think Oscar is going to get wrecked by Hopkins. And I think Mayorga is going to be beat up bad by Trinidad.

What are you talking about? Evander hugged the entire fight. Hell, he was pushing Tyson into the ropes 90% of the fight with his massive cro-magnon forehead.

Now, Lennox on the other hand beat Tyson by staying at a distance, but the difference between Lennox and Tarver/RJJ is that Lennox has an extremely quick and very hard hitting jab. That added to his 6" reach advantage won him that fight.

I don't think Tarver-Tyson would even be worth the money.

Tarver would not stay busy enough to keep Tyson at bay. Tarver would throw a limited amount of punches and Tyson would not be real accurate. Eventually Tyson would catch him with a shot and stop him.

That doesn't really sound like a superfight to me. Can Tarver even carry that weight well?

Jermaine Taylor is just not ready for Bernard Hopkins yet, and his promoters know that. Putting him in the ring with Bernard Hopkins at this point in time would be the worst possible thing for his career. His defensive skills are just nowhere close to being there yet. I think we'll probably see Jermaine move up in weight before we see him fight Hopkins. Taylor is a guy who looks like he'll follow the path of many fighters that started out a middleweight, there's a lot of room for him to get bigger. If he does fight Hopkins, it'd probably be summer of 2006 and probably Hopkins last fight as he said he wouldn't fight past 42.

Archived