Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Kobe would consider playing for N.Y.

@DCGoldPants

Really, its seems like he'd play for anybody that would pay.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5176498/

NBCSports.com news services

Updated: 12:58 a.m. ET June 10, 2004Kobe Bryant reportedly would consider playing for the New York Knicks next season.

Bryant, who has publicly insisted he would opt out of his Lakers contract to sign a longer-term deal to stay with Los Angeles, told the New York Post he would talk to the Knicks when the free-agent negotiating period opens July 1.

Asked specifically about a possible meeting with Knick President Isiah Thomas, Bryant was quoted between the first two games of the NBA Finals as saying, "I'll be there.... If he invites me, I'll be there."

How New York, however, could afford to sign Bryant remains to be seen.

The Knicks have only the mid-level exception — about $5 million — to offer Bryant and little, if anything, to offer in a sign-and-trade deal. If Bryant is found innocent in his felony sexual assault trial, he could recoup some of his lost salary in endorsements and other financial ventures in New York.

The Lakers are expected to offer Bryant more years and money than any other team, along with owner Jerry Buss' loyalty. Bryant can sign a seven-year deal with the Lakers, only six elsewhere. The Lakers will offer annual increases of 12.5%, with a starting salary of 30% of the salary cap, which has not been established for next season.

Other organizations can only offer contracts of six years with annual increases of 10%.

Bryant also admitted he'd listen to just about any team come July 1.

"The question was, 'If Isiah called you, would you listen?' " Bryant said Wednesday. "I said, 'Yeah.' I don't know how it got spread into me and Isiah having a meeting.

"I'd listen. I don't know about being eager or having some meeting set up. I don't know anything about that."

He has made similar observations this season when asked about other NBA cities, including San Antonio, Denver, Memphis and Phoenix, Memphis.

So....if he signed with whoever your favorite team is...........do you think he would be a long term solution or.......without Shaq, is he just another good NBA player.

Originally posted by jbooma

Kobe come to DC and prove to everyone you could do what Jordan couldn't, take the Wiz to the playoffs :D

I'll take that as a "yes" then from JB. He can do it without Shaq.

JB sez: Send them Stackhouse and our #1 pick in a sign and trade.

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

I'll take that as a "yes" then from JB. He can do it without Shaq.

JB sez: Send them Stackhouse and our #1 pick in a sign and trade.

I would do that in a heartbeat, of course IF he is able to play next year.

2 reasons why Kobe will stay in LA:

1. No team in the league will pay him more than the Lakers will to keep him.

2. No team in the league has a better shot of being a "dynasty" right now than the Lakers do.

1 reason why Kobe will bolt from L.A. :

Phil Jackson's contract gets renewed and is the coach next year in L.A.

Originally posted by Oldskool

1 reason why Kobe will bolt from L.A. :

Phil Jackson's contract gets renewed and is the coach next year in L.A.

Bingo, word is though the owner has picked Kobe over the coach. I would love to see him go to the Clippers, that would be cool.

Archived