Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Press: Fred's time is now.

skinsfanjoe

Fred's time is now

With running mate Champ Bailey now in Denver, Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot feels 2004 is his year to shine and says a Pro Bowl berth "is a gimme."

BY RYAN O'HALLORAN

247-4964

Published June 6, 2004

ASHBURN -- Fred Smoot has filled many roles during his three seasons as a cornerback for the Redskins.

Rookie year: Understudy to future Hall of Famer Darrell Green.

Second year: Complimentary player to Pro Bowler Champ Bailey.

Third year: Tough guy, playing through myriad injuries.

This year: Leader?

On a defense that will feature six new starters, absolutely.

Green retired after the 2002 season and Bailey was traded to Denver in March for running back Clinton Portis. Smoot, at age 25, finds himself as the team's longest-tenured defensive back.

"I picked that up coming out of last year and I'm still growing into it now," Smoot said after Saturday's minicamp practice at rainy Redskins Park. "Being a leader, you have to prove it every day. This is not a job that I picked up so I could come tell the media that I'm the leader of the Redskins."

There are plenty of veteran leaders in the locker room, but not veteran Redskins. Only four players - linebackers LaVar Arrington and Kevin Mitchell and offensive linemen Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels - have been with the club longer than Smoot.

Through nearly three minicamps and the offseason workout program, Smoot is getting passing marks in his newfound role.

"Just by seeing him on the field, you can tell Fred is a guy that likes football," coach Joe Gibbs said.

"And you need some of those character-type guys on every good team."

Said defensive end Renaldo Wynn: "There's no doubt about it - with Champ gone, Fred knows that he has to be the guy."

Part of being 'the guy' is leading; the other part is performing. Smoot says he's working on that, too.

"No doubt, I've made a lot of plays, and I'm one step under Champ right now," he said. "This year, I want to establish myself as the lead corner and make the NFL realize that I'm the most underrated player in the league."

Heady stuff, but also confident. Smoot has 13 interceptions in three seasons. He has led the team in interceptions three straight seasons - a first in Redskins history. Is the next step a berth in the Pro Bowl?

"That's a gimme," Smoot said. "No doubt. My old dog (Bailey) is in the AFC now so I don't have to compete against him."

Throughout the offseason, Smoot has been an All Pro when it comes to putting in work. If he's not watching video of 2004 opponents, he's got his nose in the defensive playbook; if he's not reviewing his play of 2003, he's in the weight room.

"Fred has done a great job and the whole defensive group has put in a lot of time here this offseason," assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said. "Leaders will emerge when they're making plays - people listen to you more and pay attention to you more when you're doing more on the field. He's here way early and he's staying way late."

Smoot said he's spent more and more time at the complex throughout the years.

"Darrell (Green) got me into it and Champ did, too and now this is the final piece," he said. "The new coaches have just broke everything down and they've taught everybody football again - it's been like taking a Football 101. I've always been known as a great athlete, but this is the first time I'll be a true technician."

Smoot hopes all this work in May and June translates into wins come October and November. The Redskins are a combined 20-38 in his three seasons.

"I think this is one coach we're going to have for awhile," he said of Gibbs. "We've always had the talent here but we haven't been successful. It's time to win. I know I'm ready to win."

"The new coaches have just broke everything down and they've taught everybody football again - it's been like taking a Football 101. I've always been known as a great athlete, but this is the first time I'll be a true technician."

Now THAT is a cut! It's good to have professional coaches again eh boys (and Blondie)?

Originally posted by afparent

Smoot and Springs will make us forget Champ real quick

I don't know about that my freind. Springs is a good player but Champ was on a different level. I think he'll fill in admirably but Champ was able to cover the other teams number one and basically shut him down with the exception of Amani Toomer of the Giants.

Archived