Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Random quotes from around the league 6-4-04

bubba9497

Random quotes from around the league

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2004/said060404.htm

Ravens offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh on his team signing ex-Steelers and ex-Bears QB Kordell Stewart to a one-year deal Wednesday: “He’s excited about being on a team he knows well and has played against. He sees the passion we play with, and that appeals to him. I think he’s hungry, and I think he’s appreciative of the opportunity. We have what we wanted: A quality veteran backup that can help tutor (second-year QB) Kyle (Boller) and be ready to come off the bench if we need him.”

USC WR Mike Williams, who left school at the start of the spring semester only to be barred from participating in April’s NFL draft when a court overturned an earlier ruling, on what he faces to be able to return to playing for the Trojans if his application to be reinstated by the NCAA is approved: “I’m not going to walk in the door scot-free and just start playing football. There’s some conditions I have to meet.”

Steelers head coach Bill Cowher on the decision to release LB Jason Gildon, a 10-year veteran, to save the team $3.65 million worth of room under the 2004 salary cap: “Jason has been a very productive player and team leader for us the past 10 years. Unfortunately, in this system, some very difficult decisions have to be made.”

New Giants QB Kurt Warner on signing a two-year deal with the team after being released by the Rams June 1: “This is a great opportunity for me. This team is built for success. There are a lot of pieces in place to make a run for the championship now. It was that combination that made me excited about this opportunity.”

New Cowboys QB Vinny Testaverde on being cut by the Jets after refusing to serve as Chad Pennington’s backup and having been promised a chance to compete for the starting job by Dallas head coach Bill Parcells, who coached the 40-year-old Testaverde in New York: “The fire still burns within for me to be out on the field still playing. All I want is an opportunity. The opportunity to compete to be a starter excites me. I didn’t have that opportunity in New York.”

Dolphins LB Junior Seau apologizing Thursday for using a derogatory term for homosexuals while describing his relationship with his teammates at the team’s annual awards banquet Wednesday night: “A joke that came out last night, due to my stupidity, is something we have to deal with today. With that, I am very sad and I apologize.”

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen commenting on TE Shannon Sharpe at Sharpe’s retirement announcement in Denver Thursday: “What do you say about the greatest tight end to ever play football? I don’t think there is any dispute that Shannon is the best to have ever played that position.”

Sharpe, 36, on deciding to retire after 14 seasons in the NFL to work on “The NFL Today” pregame show on CBS: “It’s not a good time to retire. It’s not a bad time to retire. It’s just time.”

New Giants QB Kurt Warner on signing a two-year deal with the team after being released by the Rams June 1: “This is a great opportunity for me. This team is built for success. There are a lot of pieces in place to make a run for the championship now. It was that combination that made me excited about this opportunity:laugh: :laugh:

Archived