Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Our DL Really that Bad?

I wasn't trying to compare the on-paper talent. On paper talent is a pretty meaningless statistic, otherwise we would have ON PAPER won the division a few times in the last 10 years. What I meant to say was that the Eagles' defense was stout throughout the slew of injuries to their D-line due to the blitzing schematics and confusion that they created. You can't give the Eagles' offense credit, the way it played the first 6-7 games.

Secondly, our D-line isn't a moribund group. Last year we lined up Wynn, Haley, Holsey and a tandem for the other D-end and we found respectable defense. It was when our team broke down in the latter quarters that people thought our defense was atrocious. I blame coaching and character for these aspects. Our D-line didn't step up in the waining moments of games, but now we have Cornelius Griffin, who is a warrior, Phillip Daniels who has a great motor and Holsey who will be fresh in the latter stages of games. Along with a safety who knows how to play/alleviate pressure (i.e. Sean Taylor), chances of improvement are much higher.

Give it time, it took years and a lot of high picks for a team like the Panthers to develop their dominant line. We can't have everything, we just need to work around our problems.

Originally posted by Hurst

I wasn't trying to compare the on-paper talent. On paper talent is a pretty meaningless statistic, otherwise we would have ON PAPER won the division a few times in the last 10 years. What I meant to say was that the Eagles' defense was stout throughout the slew of injuries to their D-line due to the blitzing schematics and confusion that they created. You can't give the Eagles' offense credit, the way it played the first 6-7 games.

Secondly, our D-line isn't a moribund group. Last year we lined up Wynn, Haley, Holsey and a tandem for the other D-end and we found respectable defense. It was when our team broke down in the latter quarters that people thought our defense was atrocious. I blame coaching and character for these aspects. Our D-line didn't step up in the waining moments of games, but now we have Cornelius Griffin, who is a warrior, Phillip Daniels who has a great motor and Holsey who will be fresh in the latter stages of games. Along with a safety who knows how to play/alleviate pressure (i.e. Sean Taylor), chances of improvement are much higher.

Give it time, it took years and a lot of high picks for a team like the Panthers to develop their dominant line. We can't have everything, we just need to work around our problems.

Main man this line is still a sorry group. If they've added Daniels and Griffin and they think thats the answer we're in trouble. With a so called Noble coming back. Man whatever. Announcers were clowning our run defense and lack of pass rush. I mean they overall consistently got manhandled. I'll say it again like I said at the beginning of last yr. A piss poor D-line makes the back 7 suffer. People come up taking bad angles on tackles because the front four can't slow anyone down. Also you'll have individuals not playing their assignments because the front four stinks.

Well you can say it was the Eagles defence winning the games all you want, though having watched every single Eagles game last year (and for the last twelve years), I can tell you they were nothing close to solid on the defencive line. They made a lot of goal line stands and forced fieldgoals because of the tandum in the middle, came up very big on clutch plays, and generally played their hearts out for a defence that was tied together with shoestrings. It was also in the first 6-7 games that they lost 3 of 6 dropping their first two and one against the cowboys which was fairly pathetic. Then had a fairly easy scedule untill the offence picked it up. Anyone who saw this spectacle has to give Jim Johnson credit, he got a lot out of that defenceive line, but it was the eagles offence that won them most games, and the defencive shemes were incredibly limited by the lack of talent on the line. The Eagles were giving up hundred yard rushers every week and generateing very little pressure on the Quarterback all year (check their sack totals, they weren't able to blitz effectively either).

Lack of adiquate talent means lack of ability to run scheme. Monte kiffin without a respectable defenive line might be able to patch something together but its not going to be very good overall (his scheme actually has relied on GREAT defenive linemen). Jim Johnson may be able to patch together a defence on poor line talent, believe me it will be mediocer. Willams is one hell of a coach, I expect that he will do his best to make due with the talent on the Redskins line. The line talent is mediocer at best.

Originally posted by mardi gras skin

I expect us to give up far fewer running yards than we have in the past because of our offense. The longer we hold on to the ball and the more points we score, the less likely opponents are to grind it out.

It looks like we really only have one soft spot. We can cover that.

It works both way, really. Teams can keep your defense on the field just as much as your offense theirs.

Originally posted by rfdc

The best defensive line for the Washington Redskins this year, will be their running game, ability to control the clock.

This is frustrating...

Look, you can not keep a poor defense off the field unless you hope the other team fumbles a lot of punts and kickoffs. The second your teams is on the field, theyll be on for a while.

If our D-Line can perform at a "4" or so on a scale from 1 to 10 (5 is avg) than we will be fine. The LBs are obviously very good and the secondary at least pretty good. The offense should also be at least "good" along with the special teams. If our one major weakness is below average instead of terrible than we'll be fine. If they can do that or not remains to be seen.

Originally posted by swissarmy47

If our D-Line can perform at a "4" or so on a scale from 1 to 10 (5 is avg) than we will be fine. The LBs are obviously very good and the secondary at least pretty good. The offense should also be at least "good" along with the special teams. If our one major weakness is below average instead of terrible than we'll be fine. If they can do that or not remains to be seen.

Ill just say one thing. It is a lot easier for good line play(see carolina)to make up for the rest of the defense than vice-versa

I can see your point RW31

I see it like this. Should we be all that is hoped for on offense, it is not going to be the average NFL offense then. It would be so much more that many would be sick with happiness. This is based on what we have NOW on offense. It is a team oriented offense with key members capable of big time post season plays.

Gibbs saw the players during that stretch in Marty's tenure (on film at least) when they went 8-3. That was a WINNING DRIVE. That is what Gibbs does. He remembers his similar 1981 year, I am sure and how that was turned around. He saw that with a defense that really won't be that much different than what he has now. The difference is his defense will be diverse to assist the weak areas, while his offense will keep them off the field for long stretches.

We must also remember that Gibbs learned a lesson with both Snyder and Williams, he has to take the reigns more often. Griffith, I believe was doled out way too much, like Brunell, IMO< so that was a glitch. I also believe that Griffith is NOT a mistake for what they want him to do, you have to wait and see.

If it is obvious to us, Mr. Gibbs been knew it. Do you think he wants us to get ate up? He has never showed his hand at the table until it was the time to do so.

Kenny Rogers where are you? :laugh:

Archived