Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wayne Huizenga disses Adewale Ogunleye

Dolphins | Huizenga Wants To Sign Ogunleye For Right Price - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 19 May 2004 08:22:56 -0700

The Sun-Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga has said he would like to sign restricted free agent DE Adewale Ogunleye to a long-term deal, but for the right price. "I hope we can [sign him]," said Huizenga during the Tuesday, May 18, minicamp practice. "Money's never the issue here for us. That's not it. [Former NFL coach] Jimmy [Johnson] always had a saying that you pay a good player a good salary and you pay a great player a great salary. The problem comes in when you pay a great salary to a good player. And that's kind of where it's at." :nutkick:

The problem comes in when you pay a great salary to a good player. And that's kind of where it's at."

Looks like the Skins have their first FA target, and he's already on board with their philosophy! :silly:

Seriously, I don't believe in this guy at all- he's decent, but not fantastic...reminds me of a KGB type player.

The money he is asking for is out of this world.

Originally posted by f_dallas

Looks like the Skins have their first FA target, and he's already on board with their philosophy! :silly:

Seriously, I don't believe in this guy at all- he's decent, but not fantastic...reminds me of a KGB type player.

The money he is asking for is out of this world.

Not that I am a big Ogunleye fan but food for thought:

KGB

2001: 16 Games (0 starts) 24 tackles 13.5 sacks 3 ff

2002: 15 Games (11 starts) 46 tackles 12 sacks 4 ff

2002: 16 Games (16 starts) 47 tackles 10 sacks 2 ff

Kearse

1999: 16 Games (16 starts) 57 tackles 14.5 sacks 8 ff

2000: 16 Games (16 starts) 53 tackles 11.5 sacks 4 ff

2001: 16 Games (16 starts) 36 tackles 10 sacks 3 ff

2002: injured

2003: 14 Games (14 starts) 42 tackles 9.5 sacks 4 ff

maybe being KGB like isn't such a bad thing

I think the numbers are a little misleading. If you're gonna go straight by the numbers from last season, his stats are virtually identical to Jason Taylor's. I don't think anyone would say Ogun's on that level yet. Well... except for him and his agent. Eat it, Huizenga... you'll pay up sooner or later.

Translation of Huizenga's statement: "It's not about the money... except... it is, in fact, about the money." Cheaptard.

Originally posted by chosen

Translation of Huizenga's statement: "It's not about the money... except... it is, in fact, about the money." Cheaptard.

Isn't it always? :laugh:

I'd like to go after this guy, regardless whether Jason Taylor's prescence is the reason for his numbers. He can still play the position better than anything the 'Skins have and maybe his own prescence will free up some things for the other side of the line.

Like you said, though, it's all about the money...

Nick

Not that I am a big Ogunleye fan but food for thought:

Please....

Kearse= double teamed every snap of his career

AO= not even the best DE on his own team

Plus, I've seen both of them play and I would much rather see the birds face AO than Kearse.

Kearse has the injury history to overcome (or not, depending on the circumstances), but he creates havoc while AO has been getting sacks as the lesser of two evils.

The guy didn't just have a good season last year but the year before last also.

What does he have to do to get you guys respect??

Also..the notion that Jason Taylor (who plays on the opposite side) is making Ogunlye look better is crazy.

Only the player next to the DE can make the DE look better.

What does he have to do to get you guys respect??

The contract he was asking for would make him the highest paid defensive end in the entire NFL.

He already has my respect, but for me to say "He's the best in the NFL"- whihc is what he is saying with his contract demands- he has do start putting up 18 sack seasons AFTER he leaves Miami.

Also..the notion that Jason Taylor (who plays on the opposite side) is making Ogunlye look better is crazy.

Only the player next to the DE can make the DE look better.

Well, you are wrong. Sorry...

Sure, the person playing next to the DE is going to create some problems for you or free you up for some extra sacks on occassion, but the easiest way, and most effective way to help shut down a pass rushing DE is to chip or double him with a RB.

Even though they are small, all they have to do is get a decent piece of them to impeed their progress or change their angle, and the only way the DE can get a sack is if he makes a spectacular play, the RB blows it, or the coverage is amazing.

You can only realisticly use one RB to block on a passing down, and guess which side he heads to when teams play Miami?

Nice try...

Originally posted by f_dallas

Please....

Kearse= double teamed every snap of his career

AO= not even the best DE on his own team

Plus, I've seen both of them play and I would much rather see the birds face AO than Kearse.

Kearse has the injury history to overcome (or not, depending on the circumstances), but he creates havoc while AO has been getting sacks as the lesser of two evils.

I'm not comparing AO to Kearse, I am comparing KGB to Kearse

I am not an AO fan, I personally don't think he is KGB like, but I am a KGB fan and frankly would rather have him for less money and less injury risk than Kearse...I am responding to your assertion that AO is a KGB type player and what that connotes.

Archived