Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article on June 1st cuts

Originally posted by wskin44

Trevor, you've got a flair for writing and I've enjoyed both of your articles. This time of year is always the slowest, after the draft but before training camp. June 1st is the next interesting date on the calender, so you are right on target thinking about the possibilities. I think that they will bring Candidate to camp and let him, Rock and Betts battle it out for two spots. Sorry Sultan. I'd be surprised if they cut Ohlalete, because he is a cheap experienced backup. As for numbergate, if I give CP my social security number does that mean that he will pay my taxes?

See, I don't think that there's anything that Trung brings to the table that Chad Morton can't also bring. I think that, after Portis, Betts will be the backup, and Morton the third down back. Betts could kind of give that Gerald Riggs to Clinton Portis' Ernest Byner, and Morton was explosive out of the backfield for us in '03. As much as I like Rock, I don't think he'll get in the mix unless there's an injury. He's a spackle kind of guy; one that fits into whatever hole we need him, so his depth will be useful.

I appreciate the kind words, from you and everyone else as well.

By the way, I have a few more articles posted that haven't been circulated to my knowledge. They were posted on the site previous to the two that have made the rounds here.

Again, please don't think me self-serving. It is with a good degree of reticence that I post this given that it may make me seem arrogant. That isn't my intention. I just thought if you enjoyed the last two, you might enjoy some others.

http://www.midatlanticsports.net/sportswriters.htm

I am at the bottom of the page on the left.

I thinks Gibbs wishes he didn't have the policy of "Whoever has been here longer gets to keep his number." I like Iffy and sure hope the NumberGate doesn't come into play if he is released.

Good article, I enjoyed it. Is the Snyder one still available for reading? I look forward to more.

Thanks..

Originally posted by worm

I thinks Gibbs wishes he didn't have the policy of "Whoever has been here longer gets to keep his number." I like Iffy and sure hope the NumberGate doesn't come into play if he is released.

Good article, I enjoyed it. Is the Snyder one still available for reading? I look forward to more.

Thanks..

Yeah, there are five there at the link I posted in the last post. Here it is again:

http://www.midatlanticsports.net/sportswriters.htm

I'm at the bottom of the page on the left.

Great article. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I unfortunately can't read the end of the article. The text stops at the description of Robert Porcher, and I can't scroll down anymore. Could you paste this article into this thread so I can read the rest of it? I'm curious what other defensive linemen may be available.

Good work Trevor. Good read. I can understand your hesitance on revealing who you are, but I'm glad you came out there and said it. Stick around for awhile, lurk, read a bunch of stuff and get an idea of the "culture" of our community. May find a few suprises. Not the least of which will be that you will find many fans here. But on the flip side, and I can guarantee this, you could also find some of your harshest critics here. And they won't be just the Philly and Dallas fans ;) Have fun around here and thanks for sharing.

Here is the remainder of the article for the guy who was having trouble with accessing the rest of it.

(3) Robert Porcher (Lions). His production has declined, and he's on a team that is attempting to improve in years to come. His departure could open a position for a younger player to prove himself, and free up cap space for the Lions. Though he has been durable throughout his career, his last good season was 2001, when he recorded 11 sacks, a number that he did not reach in the previous two seasons combined.

(4) Tim Bowens (Dolphins). Another big plug-type that has a decent chance to become a cap casualty. The Dolphins have got to get younger on the defensive side of the ball, and may look to part ways with Bowens. While he missed three games in 2003, he has been durable throughout his career, and at least to me, makes the most sense of any of my theoretical options.

(5) Josh Evans (Jets). The Jets have a log jam on their line, and Evans seems to be the logical choice to get the gate. His decline in production and small stature make him another that we should probably pass over. Now, if teammate Jason Ferguson were released…

(6) Albert Haynesworth (Titans). True, it is a stretch to think that someone this young and talented would be released by a team that lost the heart and soul of its line already, but leaks out of Titans camp seem to indicate that Haynesworth is not endearing himself to the coaching staff in Tennessee. Couple that with their cap woes and you have yourself a potential June 1st cut. Again, I am reaching here, but the reasons I gave aren't reaches, and stranger things have happened.

There are also a few teams, the Broncos, the aforementioned Jets, among others, that have a multitude of talent at the position and may surprise us all and release someone out of the blue. It is also about time for Butch Davis and the Browns to do something stupid, so that too may cut someone loose and shock us all. The bottom line for me remains that if we can get a guy who is clearly better than those already on the roster, then you do it, and I think that the signing of Michael Barrow shows that the current front office agrees with me. If we go into the season with our line as it, then I will trust that Gibbs and Co. thought what we had was better than what we could get, and I'll be fine with that.

In weeks to come, I'll preview our offense and defense, as well as how we stack up against our NFC East rivals. So, come on back next week for your weekly Redskin fix.

Comments and questions can be sent to Trevor Walters at skins.fan@comcast.net

Thanks for posting the rest of the article. Good work. I hope we can pick somebody up who can help us without paying through the nose. But, if not, I guess we'll see what we have. And, if it doesn't work out, there's always rebuilding year 2.

Archived