Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PC Police in full force at Univ. of Iowa..........

TC4

Well, it seems that the liberal pestilence, led by its PC minions, has a firm grip on things at the University of Iowa anyways:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/2004/05/04/Metro/Ui.Cancels.Game.Over.Nickname-677814.shtml

UI cancels game over nickname

By Phil Davidson - The Daily Iowan

Published: Tuesday, May 4, 2004

Adhering to a policy instituted 10 years ago, but not always followed, the UI athletics department recently canceled a baseball game with Bradley University of Peoria, Ill., because of the school's mascot.

The game was originally scheduled to be played today, but the athletics department canceled the nonconference game in February, recognizing that Bradley's nickname - the Braves - falls under the university's policy to not schedule nonconference games with teams that have American Indian mascots.

Steve Roe, a UI associate director of Sports Information, said the university's Board in Control of Athletics implemen-ted the policy in April 1994 in a response to those who were outraged by the stereotypical portrayal of American Indians in sports.

"At the time, that was an issue that some universities talked about," Roe said. "Some acted, some didn't. We did."

While Iowa played Bradley's baseball team the last two years, he said, he had no explanation why the policy was neglected.

First-year Hawkeye baseball coach Jack Dahm said the university's decision may have been a direct result of him pointing out the Braves' nickname to an associate athletics director. Dahm is familiar with the program after working with Bobby Parker, Bradley's assistant athletics director, at Creighton University of Omaha.

"I think it was basically an oversight," Dahm said. "We decided to cancel the game just to be safe."

According to the policy, "In recognition of the UI policy on human rights, the university bans from its athletics facilities any mascot that depicts or represents Native Americans."

Though Bradley got rid of its mascot in 1989, Parker said, the UI did not have much choice in the matter, adding that University of Wisconsin-Madison is the only other school that won't schedule games against Bradley.

The issue of using American Indian names as mascots or nicknames has sparked much recent debate. Bradley University President David Broski announced last week that Bradley's nickname would remain for at least three to five years.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Isnt Hawkeyes a reference to a Native American as well?

Sure was

He was nicknamed "Hawkeye" because his dad's favorite book was "The Last Of The Mohicans"

Originally posted by riggins44

My question is where does someone's rights end and mine begin?

Yours don't matter 44

See, in the PC world, if say five people are offended by something, they then get to decide for tens of millions of people what can and can not be said or done

Of course there is another name for this too: Stalinism

now, forgive me if I don't really understand this.

Bradley University's nickname is "Braves". Okay. Native American reference.

"recognizing that Bradley's nickname - the Braves - falls under the university's policy to not schedule nonconference games with teams that have American Indian mascots."

Native American Mascots. They say they aren't suppose to play games against Native American mascots.

But, "Though Bradley got rid of its mascot in 1989, Parker said, the UI did not have much choice in the matter..."

Huh?

They don't have a native american mascot anymore. Just because they have a native american "nickname" they aren't suppose to play them anymore?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense

As they should know, the "hawkeye" in their own nickname is a Native American reference.

PC people strike again.

I don't have a problem with the native american stuff...

But the University of Georgia's nickname is very offensive to me. As a proud dog owner, I WILL NOT have my children disgraced over something as trivial as football.

Archived