Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bypassing the cap

RebelYell

I've just had an idea. It's probably a terrible idea - most of them are - but I'm going to post it anyway.

There are 80,000 odd Resdskins season ticket holders already paying anywhere between several hundred dollars and several thousand dollars a year for the privilege of watching the Redskins.

What would happen if every single one of them voluntarily contributed one hundred dollars a year to a special fund.

The special fund's purpose would be to distribute that money to Redskins players as the contributors saw fit. This would effectively add $8million to the Redskins salary cap.

I don't think there'd be anything the NFL could do about it.

Is this a machiavellian plan par excellence, or merely a foolish delusion?

RebelYell

PS It would probably be possible to make the distribution of funds from a trust rather more tax-efficient than salary, which would mean that we could get even more bang for our bucks.

How would it be distributed? The NFL prohibits all transfers to players from anyone team-related. That's why someone had to return a bottle of champagne last year sometime -- because it was considered by the league to be an illegal payment in violation of the salary cap.

That's the beauty - it's not team related at all. The fund would be completely independent of the team - a voluntary organization run by the fans.

The trust's directors would independently remain in contact with the agents for each year's free agents, and let them know that there is some extra money available for free agents who sign with the Redskins.

For example, this year we probably could have retained Champ Bailey and signed Jeavon Kearse...

RebelYell

And what would the trust's directors say to the players' agents? That if the player signs with Washington, then he'll get to sign a separate contract with the trust, entitling him to extra cash? Not likely. Moreover, there'd be costs involved in proving to the league that the trust and the front office aren't colluding. That and the fact that if the trust were indeed to collect a lot of money, that would be prima facie evidence that the team was doing something to endorse the donations. Even tying donations to season ticket holders might be enough of a connection.

And what would the trust's directors say to the players' agents? That if the player signs with Washington, then he'll get to sign a separate contract with the trust, entitling him to extra cash? Not likely.

That's kind of what I envisaged, although it wouldn't be a contract - more of a gift. Why isn't it likely?

Moreover, there'd be costs involved in proving to the league that the trust and the front office aren't colluding.

Possibly - but those costs would fall on the team not the trust. And I doubt the team would object to some legal fees in return for a couple of premium free agents :-)

That and the fact that if the trust were indeed to collect a lot of money, that would be prima facie evidence that the team was doing something to endorse the donations.

Not sure I agree.

Even tying donations to season ticket holders might be enough of a connection.

Yes - that might be a mistake. Perhaps a more general appeal to Redskins fans would be better.

RebelYell

I think that idea is humbug. I'd like to propose another idea though. The Laurent relief fund. When I get home from long hours at work I don't always have the energy to go to the fridge and grab me a cold one.

With the help of this fund I could purchase a monkey and train it in the art of beer recovery.

:cheers:

Archived