Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steven Jackson torn right meniscus/Parcells plans to be around awhile......

hobbs

No suprise on the latter, while everybody kept saying that Dallas had to win now, all of Parcells moves (signing Henson, trading down to stockpiling 1st round draft picks, not spending wildly on free agents) have been with an eye firmly planted on the future.

---------

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

IRVING - After trading away their first-round pick, the Cowboys took Notre Dame running back Julius Jones with the No. 43 overall pick and USC offensive tackle Jacob Rogers with the No. 52 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Earlier in the afternoon, with running backs Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones available, the Cowboys opted to trade their No. 22 pick to Buffalo in exchange for the 11th pick in the second round, the 12th pick in the fifth round and the Bills' first-round pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

Jones (5-10, 217) had 229 carries for 1,341 yards and 10 touchdowns his senior season. He had three 200-yard games his senior season and holds the Notre Dame record for kickoff-return yardage (2,104 yards).

Jones said Bill Parcells told him two weeks ago that the Cowboys would try to take him in the second round if he was still available. Parcells phoned Jones on Saturday afternoon and asked, "What did I tell you?" After Jones answered, Parcells said, "Alright, you're a Cowboy."

Jones was academically ineligible his junior season at Notre Dame, but bounced back last season.

"I had to take a year to grow up a little bit," Jones said.

Jones is not a punishing runner, but he does have explosive speed. By running a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, Jones moved up the draft board.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones had talked about his desire to trade down with the first pick, but with Jones and Jackson still on the board, the trade came as somewhat of a surprise. Parcells recently told team scouts that he planned on being around for quite awhile and today's move backs that up.

The Cowboys were apparently concerned about a right knee injury that Jackson sustained in the Las Vegas Bowl last season. Jackson tore his right meniscus, but he was still able to run a 4.55 in the 40-yard dash during recent workouts.

The Cowboys have now increased their number of picks from five to six in this weekend's draft. And with Buffalo coming off a 6-10 record and losing their top cornerback in free agency, the Cowboys could end up with a high pick in next year's draft.

Follow Ups:

At Parcells' age and previous health concerns, coaching into the future is one high blood pressure test away from being the past. There is no doubt the Cowboys have done almost nothing this offseason but appear to be making moves to improve in future years. If Parcells is around to enjoy the fruits of that wait it'll be worth it.

It's just been a very odd offseason for the Cowboys to this point.

Originally posted by Art

At Parcells' age and previous health concerns, coaching into the future is one high blood pressure test away from being the past. There is no doubt the Cowboys have done almost nothing this offseason but appear to be making moves to improve in future years. If Parcells is around to enjoy the fruits of that wait it'll be worth it.

It's just been a very odd offseason for the Cowboys to this point.

I agree, but odd in a good way. This team didn't have many needs, just very major ones...We have two first rounders next year and if julius jones doesn't pan out(which he can)it promises too be a much stronger draft for running backs. We adressed our biggest need imo, in O line and can comfortably go BPA in day 2.

Art:

"It's just been a very odd offseason for the Cowboys to this point.

Odd only because he's going against people's expectations. Everybody thought that with Gibbs rejoining Washington, and Coughlin going to ND Parcells would run with the herd and try to win at all cost now and damn future.

But he's done the opposite of what people expected and is instead not running with the herd and is building his team to be good over the the long haul.

From that standpoint Parcells has moved shrewdly and wisely with sound fundamental moves and trades.

Originally posted by BD

Sound fundamental moves do not include bringing in an overrated running back with character and durability issues.

BD

Parcells went out of his way to say he is a good character guy. What issues are you reffering to?

Overrated? Why? Because he had a great senior season with no passing game or oline? Because he might be the 2nd most complete back in the draft with great potential?

Parcells has a great history of scouting running backs. Julius was in our plans all along. We are getting f's on many sites because we didn't get the "sexy" pick and planned for the future. We shored up two needs and look to have a great draft next year like NE.

BTW

I would be pissed if it was my team that gave up a 5th this year and a 2nd next year and then not take a dlinemen.

I watched Jones play a little bit on t.v. in Indiana and he had to sit out a year (edited out the injury part, was on someone else) and patient with the team adjusting back to him on his return. This is because Whittington (coach) had shuffled the line by the time Jones returned. He (Jones) also had to take upon himself to make things happen. With a bit more strengthing he could be a dangerous change of direction runner.

His height won't hurt him, because he slides behind big blockers making it difficult to see him (he starts low and then when in opend field, - look out!). I likened him to a toned down version of Joe Morris(even though taller than Morris was). He doesn't have the Meggett quickness, but he has the Meggett speed and electricity, for those familiar with a Parcells type of back.

RW,

I listen to Buffalo sports radio on a daily basis (only because I cannot stand the non-stop Maple Leafs talk in Toronto). They wanted a quarterback. Desperately.

They feel that Bledsoe is the guy for next year, but that he's got, at most, 2 seasons left in him, and they want the learning process to start now.

The guy that they wanted was Philip Rivers. But we know what happened there, don't we...

So, if you see the draft proceeding the way it did, and there's still a QB that you like on the board, then you do what you can to take him. The price was high (likely too high), but they got the one player that they wanted.

The other reason that they won't be ticked off that they didn't pick up a DLineman is that they feel their defensive side is set (they did come near the top of the league in terms of yards allowed last year).

As a skins fan, my biggest fear as a result of Dallas trading with Buffalo is that the first round attained from that trade could be a very high pick in next year's draft. Considering the tough division that the Bills play in, the absence of Greg Williams and the aging Drew Bledsoe, Buffalo could be pretty bad next season.

We shall see.

Buffalo underachieved last year. I think they have 7-9 to 9-7 talent, which means a mid-round pick. I don't see them reaching the playoffs, although I'd point out that the Jets and Dolphins seem to be declining right now.

I think Gibbs' return has inspired Parcells. That, plus the fact that Jones has managed (so far) to basically stay out of his way seems to have made him think that it's worth sticking around for awhile. I still stand by the idea that he originally signed on with Dallas a year ago to get one last big payday, and figured that any success he got would be greatly appreciated (for a 3x 5-11 club) and would be gravy.

Archived