Extremeskins

Well Stu, I did battle some humongous waves

Sarge

Spicoli would be proud

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=1222428

The biggest moving mountain ever surfed

By WILL SWANTON

April 20, 2004

"HOLY crap, Pete ... that was a bomb!" Those were the exact words used by surfer Pete Cabrinha's jet ski tow-in driver, Rush Randle, after the revered Hawaiian waterman rode a 70 foot (21.5m) giant.

Randle was right, almost. It was more than a bomb. It was big enough to get Cabrinha into the Guinness Book of Records for the largest wave ever ridden. Cabrinha's fearless effort at the infamous big wave reef called Jaws in Hawaii on January 10 was given official status at the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards in California yesterday.

Cabrinha was swelling with pride as he collected a cheque for $95,000 for his ride of a lifetime at Jaws, a frightening break off the north shore of the island of Maui.

He was given a standing ovation by 1500 people at the Grove Theatre in Anaheim.

The announcement was especially well received because 42-year-old Cabrinha has long been regarded as a pioneer of tow-in surfing, windsurfing and kitesurfing.

"It was the first time this winter I surfed Jaws and it was on a brand new board, so I asked my partner Rush to tow me into a little warm-up wave," Cabrinha said.

The record previously belonged to Brazilian Carlos Burle, whose 68 footer (20.8m) at Mavericks won the XXL Award in 2002. Surfers refuse to measure waves in metric.

Archived