Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TU-Brunell "Liked the way it turned out"

Lavarleap56

Brunell 'liked the way it turned out'

Brunell is pleased

By BART HUBBUCH

The Times-Union

Mark Brunell used to be angry that the Jaguars kept him from testing the NFL's open market last month by trading him to the Washington Redskins.

Now, the Jaguars' one-time franchise quarterback couldn't be happier.

"I liked the way it turned out," Brunell said Saturday morning at the Jacksonville opening of a fast-food franchise in which he is an investor. "If you had asked me two months ago, I would have told the Jaguars, 'Cut me, please.' But because it was the Redskins, and because of everything I've experienced so far up there, it worked out absolutely perfect."

Being traded to Washington didn't hurt Brunell financially. As well as compensating the Jaguars with a third-round draft pick, the Redskins gave a seven-year, $43.36 million contract to Brunell that included an $8.6 million signing bonus.

Brunell, who turns 34 in September, already has gone through one minicamp with the Redskins and says his love of the game is being rejuvenated by the chance to work with legendary Washington coach Joe Gibbs.

Gibbs, 63, returned to coach the Redskins in January after an 11-year absence that followed three Super Bowl victories in Washington.

"Gibbs has great character, and he's obviously a proven coach," Brunell said. "He's also surprisingly hands-on. I've been real impressed, because the extent of his role is a lot different than I expected. He's the head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach all wrapped up into one."

But as excited as Brunell is to be in Washington, he admits it will feel "weird" not to suit up for the Jaguars after spending nine of his 11 NFL seasons in Jacksonville.

Brunell spent most of last season on the bench with the Jaguars after being replaced in Week 4 by rookie Byron Leftwich. Brunell ended the year as the team's scout-team quarterback behind Leftwich and David Garrard.

"It's going to be unusual for me putting on that Redskins jersey for the first time," Brunell said. "After being with the Jaguars for nine years, 'weird' might be the best word for it. But it's going to be fun to discover a new area of the country."

Along those lines, Brunell said he and his family are seriously contemplating the sale of their 17,000-square foot home in Ponte Vedra Beach and a permanent move to the Washington, D.C., area.

"You'd be surprised at the level of interest [in the Ponte Vedra house]," Brunell said. "We're fighting them off. We've got a lot of people interested, mainly out-of-towners."

Brunell said the equally high level of interest in the Redskins in Washington has caught him by surprise. He already is recognized on the street by fans, despite being a Redskin for less than two months.

"They're crazy up there for the Redskins," said Brunell, who is expected to be starter ahead of third-year pro Patrick Ramsey. "There's not a lot up in the D.C. area as far as [successful] basketball and hockey. There's some colleges up there, but it's a Redskins town. There's a lot of enthusiasm."

Brunell is just as enthusiastic, so much so that he no longer holds a grudge against the Jaguars for an exit from Jacksonville that angered many of his fans.

"I have nothing against the Jaguars," Brunell said. "I hoped it would end up differently here, but it didn't. It was frustrating the way things happened, but if it didn't work out the way it did, then I wouldn't be as excited about football as I am right now.

"After all, it's good to be wanted."

www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/041804/jag_15376413.shtml

Brunell said the equally high level of interest in the Redskins in Washington has caught him by surprise. He already is recognized on the street by fans, despite being a Redskin for less than two months.

"They're crazy up there for the Redskins," said Brunell, who is expected to be starter ahead of third-year pro Patrick Ramsey. "There's not a lot up in the D.C. area as far as [successful] basketball and hockey. There's some colleges up there, but it's a Redskins town. There's a lot of enthusiasm."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

"[successful]"

Well I'm just glad we got him. I'm a long-time Mark Brunell fan and I believe at the time we went into negotiations w/ him Dallas had not gotten Drew Henson yet. So if WE hadn't paid heavily for him, Dallas may have. I don't want to face a savvy veteran like Mark Brunell in a Cowboy uniform!

Archived